Manual PVM on Teamspeak (Mechanics)

shallow

My current problem: Using manual and taking new people to pvm encounters, I find it incredibly difficult to hold my push to talk key (currently ` or ~) and do damage to the boss and avoid dying in a panic situation (where I have to alert someone they are in danger while also hitting keys to save myself), this wasn't really a problem when I used revolution but I know of a few people in the clan that just don't bother with teamspeak during pvm just because they can't talk and fight the boss as well as they normally can. So I started thinking.

First attempt at a solution: I'm going to be trying a new thing where I push to toggle mute/unmute rather than push to talk, This may not be a perfect fix for me or my teammates ears, but I'll give it a shot since I can use voice activation along with push to toggle unmute whenever I know something important is about to happen, and then I can just mute again when it's over :) also i learned how to mute all the "mircophone muted/microphone activated" spam sounds that go through your ears while doing this and all the message sounds as well (unrelated but I didn't like all the ping noise from that lol), if anyone needs help on getting all this setup I'll take screenshots and send em your way. 

Feel free to give tips or ideas since I was just wondering how I could adapt to teamspeak while using manual without constently button mashing into everyone's ear and also not just being silent the whole time, this seems like an ok idea for now but i'm not sure what teamspeak is capable of, so let me know:D 

The mechanics are to speak quickly and rarely. Outside of teaching someone to do a boss in the process of doing it, there isn't much need to communicate during bossing. The part that trips me up sometimes is thinking about what someone's saying or how to respond to them - for example, someone asking a question about Player Owned Farms while I'm bossing. I often just blast music rather than listen to people talk about off-topic things. Just condense what you have to say.

Contrary to popular belief, it is legal to use voice activation when you're doing something that actually requires you to use your hands. I flip to voice activation every time I do raids/AoD/Solak with you guys, and switch back to PTT when I'm done. Frankly, you can stay on voice activation all the damn time as long as random background noises aren't constantly setting your mic off - if they are, though, PLEASE use PTT.

my key binds are set in such a way that I can still do abilities with my left while I push to talk with my right. I have "/" as my push to talk so I can use my pinky to hold and and be able to move using my thumb because im on a Mac so Im using a trackpad not a mouse. doubt thats an option with a mouse tho

2 hours ago, Cam L said:

Contrary to popular belief, it is legal to use voice activation when you're doing something that actually requires you to use your hands. I flip to voice activation every time I do raids/AoD/Solak with you guys, and switch back to PTT when I'm done. Frankly, you can stay on voice activation all the damn time as long as random background noises aren't constantly setting your mic off - if they are, though, PLEASE use PTT.

sniff snort hack

What Cam L said.

I legitimately have no issue with people using voice activation so long as I only hear them when they intend for me to hear them. No random buzzing, coughing, drinking, yelling at your mom, etc.

It might take a bit of doing to adjust your mic sensitivity/noise gates but if it's hindering your enjoyment/abilities take some time to make it work.

My home row for ability usage is 'QWERTY' so my pinky is very near to '~' (Also my PTT key) so I personally don't find it too hard to make use of most of the time.

5 hours ago, Cam L said:

you can stay on voice activation all the damn time as long as random background noises aren't constantly setting your mic off - if they are, though, PLEASE use PTT.

7 hours ago, CptBlueberry said:

unpopulair opinion, why not just use voice activation?

4 hours ago, Edem Alive said:

As long as your mic isn't picking up your chair squeaking, or kids in the background, or fans, or TV, who cares if ur on voice activation. 

2 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

I legitimately have no issue with people using voice activation so long as I only hear them when they intend for me to hear them. No random buzzing, coughing, drinking, yelling at your mom, etc.

Yeah my voice isn't as loud as my keyboard so setting that up means I'd have to remember to talk louder, but since people in my house are asleep whenever I'm playing that'd be bad, I guess I forgot to mention it's like an earthquake whenever I'm spamming my keybinds LOL but this is why I have to push to toggle mute with voice activation :)

7 hours ago, Veggie said:

The mechanics are to speak quickly and rarely. Outside of teaching someone to do a boss in the process of doing it, there isn't much need to communicate during bossing. Just condense what you have to say.

Yeah this would be the other solution, but with my current setup if something funny was to happen I'd have to hold my keybind to laugh about it and that would make me stop hitting the boss with abilities, at least as easily, and since laughing/memes is one of the better parts of being on voice chat in my opinion, I had to find a way to make it work :D