BTS June

Urza

Eager to try out a new item slot? Forget rings' date=' quivers or shoe slots: if you’re fashionable you’ll want an aura slot! Before the release of these buffing items, there’ll be two other updates in which you’ll have to overcome some imposing obstacles: a sea monster in our newest master quest, and a troll invasion in a new distraction and diversion.

Deadliest Catch (members)

This month’s master quest will ring bells for anyone interested in the guaranteed content polls. As named by you, the sea monster Thalassus has been terrorising the cold and inhospitable oceans to the north. No one has survived to sketch a picture of this hulking beast, but the inns are full of rumours: Thalassus is the size of the Wizards’ Tower, they say; sailors are eaten and digested while still alive in its belly.

Fisherman Jones wants to end the scare stories by landing the beast (gaining a little glory in the process). To join him, you’ll need a Fishing level of 70, a Hunter level of 67 and a Thieving level of 60, and there’s wieldable fishing nets on offer, and a range of bank deposit boxes to unlock if you do. The quest also offers you the opportunity to embark ten more times for additional Hunter XP, should you prove to be an enviable harpooner.

Troll Invasion (members)

Forget forum trolls: if you want a real nuisance, you can’t beat the real thing! Trolls are swarming down the hills of Burthorpe and are threatening to lay waste to any imperial guard that gets in their way. Who can stop them? Well, you, of course, but in two very different ways. This month’s single-player distraction and diversion allows you to choose between taking the trolls on in straight combat, or tending the defences that hold them back. Better still, there are no requirements to do so.

Take to the battlefield and you will face 20 waves of increasingly belligerent trolls, from the common mountain troll to the summoning troll, dynamite troll and Cliff, who – you’ve probably guessed – ate an entire cliff face for his first meal. If that proves too easy, there’s a more intense 7 wave version to conquer, which has an increased difficulty level.

For the skill-focussed among you, there is the option of keeping the gatehouse maintained instead. Tend to the ballista, top up the oil vats and repair broken barricades to keep the trolls from being successful. Your actions will increase the morale of the troops, who will fight back with increased vigour. Hold out for 10 minutes (the time it takes for a troll to get hungry for Burntmeat’s cooking) and the victory is yours. You will gain an XP tome for your first defence each month, and smaller XP rewards for any defence you complete after that.

[b']Loyalty Rewards (members)

Last but not least, this month sees a huge selection of exciting rewards that you’ll be able to access through the Members Loyalty Program. Earn Loyalty Points to unlock a fantastic range of items, from custom titles to unique emotes, exclusive new costumes and amazing auras in a new player worn slot.

Don’t forget to register within the first two weeks of launch to take advantage of our introductory offers on the fantastic selection of rewards!

Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

Subscribe to RSS (?)

Edited by Urza285

So here im sitting in my colleges cafateria readng this thinking oh cool a quest with repeatable content that will wittle away a nice chunk of my hunter xp (mind you the description sounds awfully familiar to the beacon network).

Then I see this next piece of content thats a D&D where you help a battle between burthorpe and the trolls. I've actually been dying to see jagex introduce content that is focused more the siege aspect of battles so my hopes are a little up on this one.

Lastly, but certainly not least jagex is releasing content for what looks like long serving member players called Members Loyalty Rewards. Now what really tickles me about this is that players have really been complaining about the whole veteran/classic cape thing. In my opinion, that's if they do this update right, I think these auras and special titles that come out will be just what these long serving players desired. If you haven't gotten a chance to look at the BTS I suggest you do. There is a concept art of a warrior holding a sword across his hand with yellow glowing glyphs and the sword is emitting a yellow glow/flame. Right now if jagex does this right I think they may have won a large chunk of their players acceptance back when it comes to having the ability to show off how long they've played. Jagex might see it as a sign of someone's loyalty to the game, but to that someone I think they'll really be thinking of these items as a sign of how long tet'vr played and how much it will make them stand out against the crowd (mind you there always seems to be those players out there saying something to the effect of "jagex do you really think this is going to win back your players? When jagex tends to try to cater to all player types.).

Wew... I'm out of breath. So what does everyone think? Potential for best update of the year?

in my opinion, the way it will work once it is fully implemented will be interesting to see. the loyalty program could go one of two ways:

1. everyone starts from 0 loyalty, and has to build up.(hence annoying the older players)

2. The people who have already been "loyal" get a shit ton of points. (hence annoying the newer players)

Jagex will have one tough job trying to suit both parties. I doubt they will achieve it, but i gotta admit im very interested in the update, sounds like a cool idea :D

Yeah haz I was thinking the same think as soon as I read it could go two ways. I'm hoping they have a decent record made because I just put in a 3 month card a couple weeks ago and i'll be ticked.

Aura item slot? possibly dropped from that new huge ass fish that got named via content poll maybe?

Whaaaat? Lol no maaan thats two different pieces of content bro! I hope jagex implements something else in the aura slot later for skilling and combat. That would be so badass... That'll be jagex new skill... Something like imbuing, enchanting, empowerment, etc.

I think you're taking the word 'loyalty' too literally.

In my opinion, this is the dreaded cash shop. "members loyalty program" yeah right.

Related thread:

Edited by Doug ofGladz

I think you're taking the word 'loyalty' too literally.

In my opinion, this is the dreaded cash shop. "members loyalty program" yeah right.

Related thread:

Oh god I hope your wrong! If jagex goes the route of ragnorak online with their epic wings, helms and such I'll be pretty irritated. I may be tempted to buy them, but still...

So let's see...

Botters buy membership, botters are loyal players? Pfft.

The RS community has something to say about this too. Check out Quick find code: 16-17-557-62841677 (better do it quickly though)

Titles? I wonder how that will work.

Visit the mobilsing armies base and I think thats pretty much how it goes. I'm betting some of the titles will require completion of several types of content similar to how world of warcraft operates.

Also check this thread out: http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?16,17,354,62840865

Most notable question of them all thus far:

Q. Are Loyalty Points like Micro Transactions and will Loyalty Points cost extra?

A. No' date=' they're just a different currency if you like, given out to members each month to spend on the various cool rewards.

[/quote']

I think the only question that really needs to be asked now is that if membership already bought, as in days played as a member after this update goes through, will be counted and will loyalties be given for these days.

Matter of fact I'm going to log in to the RSOF and post this exact question, because I think this is the one question that really needs to be asked.

I think the only question that really needs to be asked now is that if membership already bought, as in days played as a member after this update goes through, will be counted and will loyalties be given for these days.

Matter of fact I'm going to log in to the RSOF and post this exact question, because I think this is the one question that really needs to be asked.

A. Unfortunately not. We recently released the Veteran Capes to say thanks to some of our longer standing users. The Loyalty Program looks forward and gives everyone a clean slate.

If you look at the question that talks about concurrent members recieving points faster I'm almost to believe their system will have a rollover effect starting from the time of day you put in for members. What I'm saying is that I think the loyalty reward points will tick off every 24 hours. What remains to be known is how many points you'll receive. Once we know that we may be able to discern how flexible a days worth of points are.

I am clairvoyant! Lol

There are more insightful answers to all this on the threads page 2, post 9 and page 3, post 10. I advise anyone interested in this to check it out to keep yourselves knowledgable on this upcoming update.