Associate's vs MS

PureMushu

Hey, 

I don't know if any of you remember me.  :hi: I was here ... 2010, I think? I've posted on these forums before, generally when I'm looking for advice - I find this clan to have more experience, and helpful advice when it comes to sorting out real life. I'll take a shot here and see what I can get. Hope you don't mind.

I'm looking to break into the software development field. I have a bachelor's that is completely unrelated. But in the past few years, I've made up a lot of coursework. Won't bore you with it here, but I'll list it at the bottom in case it's relevant for your input. 

I'm trying to decide whether to pursue an Associate's of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems or a Master's of Science in Computer Science. 

Here's a big part of this before I get into anything else: I have over $80,000 in educational loans from well... big mistakes - pretty much poking around to see what I want to do in expensive schools. I'm not that employable with my background. I have expenses such as insurance, rent, food. 

AAS in CIS:

Pros: It's very close, very cheap - $300 + fees/books per class, it will be 9 classes to complete. 

Cons: It's an AAS, I'm not convinced on the quality of education, but it might be just this one class that I've taken this semester

MS in CS: 

Pros: It's an MS, it could also be 9 classes to complete, including some entry requirements depending on what they make me take. 

Cons: Educational Assistance benefits - I work as a part-time TA for the school. They will cover 75% of tuition for 2 classes/semester, assuming that I am eligible. If I'm not, it's a no-brainer - I'll do the AAS. Even with the assistance, it will be a little over $600+books per class. However, I'm listing this as a con because it locks me into working for the school. My commute to where I TA (different campus) is terrible. If I could actually switch to a job on the school campus, it would actually be okay. But at the moment, there is nothing available. 

The big question: Am I employable with an Associate's of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems? What do you think I should do - AAS or MS CIS? 

I'm hoping to get some feedback from someone that works in the field if I'm lucky. 

Coursework: 

• I won't need any math, except maybe a discrete math
  • Programming coursework:
    Intro to Programming with C++ -  variables, loops, control structures, FIle I/O, functions
    MatLab - Did this at engineering school. This class got me interested in programming. I loved all of the projects. Besides the basic programming material, introduced to arrays and data structures, created graphical user interfaces, event handling. 
    Information Structures - object-oriented programming with Java - classes, inheritance, exception handling, procedural vs object-oriented platform, polymorphism, abstract classes
Edited by PureMushu

It's more about what you know... than the degree you hold, you need the schooling to get your feet settled but ultimately you're going to want an internship and to learn languages on your own to basically "master" them from my general understanding. School teaches you theories and what not but not hands on application of the language, which is what you want thus you need the internship. 

I'm not completely sure of my understanding of it but that's a general thing that I think is true. Good luck with whatever you end up doing however.

I'm going into Health Informatics so It's not the same, but the searching process can be. Like Damin alluded to, experience trumps all.  Go with the one with the most hands on shit.  See if either program has a practicum (internship) that is required in their program, they'll usually help you get set up with a company which would be GREAT for your resume or even getting hired on upon completion of your program.  You should also think about where you'll be able to network/make better connections.  A lot of the time it's not about what you know, but who you know.  

When I was looking into programs to go into, I called each and spoke with their graduate counselors, attended some open houses, looked at companies they work with (ie career fairs, internships) etc.  I know this is vague and short but I hope it helps.  

• 1 month later...

As a general rule across most all fields, the higher the level of the degree, the higher the average level of (financial) return later on.  If you can pull it together financially and academically, Masters will benefit you more in the long term as you will make (on average) a higher salary.  

As far as I understand, computer scientists are generally very employable at this point in time.  I'm sure you could get a job with either, but it's worth thinking about the long term.  

It's more about what you know... than the degree you hold, you need the schooling to get your feet settled but ultimately you're going to want an internship and to learn languages on your own to basically "master" them from my general understanding. School teaches you theories and what not but not hands on application of the language, which is what you want thus you need the internship. 

I'm not completely sure of my understanding of it but that's a general thing that I think is true. Good luck with whatever you end up doing however.

Who you know. Not what you know.

• 1 month later...

AAS in CIS won't help you at all. The only computing degree that is better than Computer Science is Computer Engineering.