AP Literature! :D

Pizzas

Yesterday our teacher for AP Literature gave us an extra credit assignment. Since I'm a pointwhore I figure I should probably go for it. We have until December 14th to read THE STORY OF LUCY GAULT by William Trevor. Considering that right now my grade in that class is at about 600 points out of 650 points and we can earn 100 points from this extra credit project, that could be a huge game changer in my overall grade. Of course he still has to enter some assignments into the gradebook so I can expect this to make less of an impact, but I'd like to gain as many points as possible from this. Since I'm asking for help on the assignment I should probably tell you what it actually is. We have to read the book by December 14th when we will have a 40 question multiple-choice true/false test worth 80 points. The points scale somehow to your score. If you get a 75% on the test that is 50 points. (anything below a 75% on the test gets you nothing) If you get 100% that is 100 points added on to your grade in the class. As you go up you get more points between 50 and 100 total points to add on to your grade. 

The reason I want help with this is because on our first test and second test I got extremely different scores. The first test was a test on the summer reading book. I slid in at a 70% (56 out of 80) to pass the test with the curve. The second test I got a 97.5% (78/80) which if you round up is an A+. Knowing that I got these two different scores which would be an F and an A without the curves I'm wondering what I would get on this book's test. The summer reading book had no Spark Notes page (I usually read these after I read a book for school to help me understand them.) The second book we read did have a Spark Notes page and I wonder if that is what helped me go from a 70% to a 97.5%...

This book does not have a Spark Notes page so I'm kind of worried about that. 

I have not read this book yet, but I intend to read it. The only thing I'm really asking is how you guys would go about this to study for the test. I'm thinking I'll read the book twice, and maybe take some notes along the way. 

If you want to be super helpful, you could read the book too and then make up a practice test for me to take. Maybe it's a good book and we'll learn something great together. 

Remember.. you clicked the help forum because you want to help... right? :D

Edited by NONHUMAN

I never took AP Lit in High school... what sort of format is the test in?

I assume its all essay questions or short answer on themes of the book or something.

Never took AP Lit either.

I know people always spoke highly of spark notes you could read it once check the spark notes and then read it again.

I don't even know if spark notes is still even a thing though....

I only suggest that so you read it once see if the major themes and literacy components yada ya match what you took from the book. If you missed things then going back to read a second time could help fill in the gaps.

Not sure if I was unclear, but this book we are reading for extra credit does not have a Spark Notes page. The form of the test that my teacher will be giving is 30 multiple choice questions and 10 true/false questions if it is the same as the last test. The past two tests were mostly on what happened in the book and in my opinion some very specific and odd details. On the first test one of the questions I missed was what radio station the main character listened to. This was only mentioned on one page out of 200 some. But yeah, what Nova described is basically what I do for reading assignments since I'm a guy who likes to use his resources.

My bookmark for a book was always a piece of notepaper. If I had a question or found something profound, I would write it on the notepaper and look into it when I decided to stop reading. 

Jen (my niece) takes AP Lit.

Jen doing homework   ------>   :james:       

Good luck Dave. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.

Taking AP Lit too! #APLitRepresent

My bookmark for a book was always a piece of notepaper. If I had a question or found something profound, I would write it on the notepaper and look into it when I decided to stop reading. 

^ Great advice.

^ Great advice.

Jen loved this idea too :D

AP lit to me was a bunch of essays/group discussions seeing about how we understood the book and picking it into analytical pieces but I don't know if that's the norm. Just take notes on things you feel you don't really grasp and try to find the deeper meaning the author was attempting to convey. T/F tests in AP Lit what has the world come to...

T/F tests in AP Lit what has the world come to...

I thought that was odd, too. I'm hoping that it's only because this is an extra credit project and not something that is normal in the class.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this, maybe it helps. --> http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-the-story-of-lucy-gault/#gsc.tab=0

Book is 240 pages, you got this. 

Too bad if I want to read more than about 141 words out of each 200-250 word summary I have to pay irl gps. Thanks anyway though, I'll still use this to gather what I can along with actually reading the book. Just read 30 pages today to start the book, and I'm going to try to finish it by Wednesday. I think 50 pages per day is reasonable. Then I will have time to read it over again if I decide that will help.

what does the AP stand for?.... lol

Advanced placement.

What Jade said :P

+ To add on to what that actually means its a class in high school that can count for college credit if you pass the standardized exam for it at the end of the year. Its graded on a Scale of 1-5 and depending on the school you can be granted credit starting from getting a 3 on it but most of the time you need to get a 4 or 5 on it and some of those exams depending on the subject can be a pain preparing for.

I know for a fact that the science ones are a bitch. Figuring its a list of x amount of experiments and concepts from the experiments that are present on the exam but if your instructor doesn't cover those ones during the year because he thought other ones would better prep you then ripperoni and good luck. Some of them are not that bad though :P

• 2 weeks later...

i never had to take an english class in college after ap 11th. so worth it. i heard the college english horror stories.

I enjoyed both my English Comp and Literature (Fiction) courses :kanye: