Crazy people overreacting.....

Amy6371

So, its just a new / different flu virus! It has been good for my line of business, because I have people coming in buying ounces, tons of edibles, multiple cartridges. But I went to the grocery store yesterday, pretty much everything that has a long shelf life is gone. Pastas, rice, canned meats, frozen meats, canned soups, bleach, alcohol wipes & sprays, bottled water..... but seriously, I don't get why people have been buying bulk toilet paper....like I'd like to wipe my ass too. Never expected toilet paper to be a priority when the apocalypse comes..... I don't think this virus causes mass shitting.

1) Panic buying is indeed unecessary and creates problems.

2) It's incorrect, or at the very least excessively premature, to conclude it's "just the flu." The WHO has named it as a pandemic because it demonstrates exponentially increasing number of cases before extremely aggressive mitigation measures are taken. even the most conservative estimates regard it as no less than six times as deadly as the normal flu, which even if it were equivalent would still mean it is the 8th heighest cause of death in a normal year. Further, the impact estimates compared to the flu would be higher even if it was equivalent if only because lots of people have developed immunity to the normal flu which is not present for the Coronavirus ( given past exposure to similar strains of the normal flu virus or because of getting a flu shot which are absolutely not helpful with this novel virus). Though the symptoms may resemble the flu in young, healthy people, we have to reset anyone's expectations if they think this is just the flu. It is an historical health crisis.

Edited by Seike
20 minutes ago, Seike said:

1) Panic buying is indeed unecessary and creates problems.

Working in retail, I agree with this entirely. We now have no toilet roll or hand sanitiser because people have been bulk buying 

It may just be "the flu" to younger people but to the immunocompromised, the old, the high risk categories it is not "just the flu". This shouldn't be taken lightly. People are dying and the young people are carriers