Skill Rework

GNT Patrick

Alright guys, time for another one of my dumb questions for you all:

If you could change any skill in the game, what would it be? how would you change it? and why would you change it?

Edited by GNT Patrick

WOODCUTTING 

At the very least we need a t90 hatchet and maybe a heros item hatchet. I'd love to see them rework Woodcutting/firemaking the way they did mining/smithing. With wood spirits, not competing for resources, being rewarded for not being afk but still having the option to afk. 

They would probably have to adjust some things with fletching but overall I think these would be great changes and there is already a basis in game to draw from. 

I agree with woodcutting, there's a lot of material to work with there but as you said it would also require an accompanying rework of fletching and firemaking. These would be welcomed changes. Firemaking itself could see nice changes just by playing with some of the other skills and using a little imagination. We are in a world where there is an entire Fire class of spells, and the pinnacle of Firemaking expertise at level 99 is to be able to create a bonfire with elder logs without a tinderbox? Why can't we be boiling cauldrons with Herblore or something?`

At the moment I would say crafting is a skill that needs serious help. With gathering skills like divination and archaeology able to craft their own items, which are cooler items than what you can make using Crafting, it has been a giant missed opportunity. You mean to tell me that you don't need any skill in crafting to restore an artifact from the Second Age, using scrap materials you also dug up?

Agility also needs serious attention. You actually unlock more Hunter things than anything else from 92-99 agility. (2 agility shortcuts - in rarely traveled areas, three hunter buffs, and oh yeah, nourished sated and gorged effigies and a skillcape, but those don't really count). Also it's boring AF to train and that's not just my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Douglas said:

I agree with woodcutting, there's a lot of material to work with there but as you said it would also require an accompanying rework of fletching and firemaking. These would be welcomed changes. Firemaking itself could see nice changes just by playing with some of the other skills and using a little imagination. We are in a world where there is an entire Fire class of spells, and the pinnacle of Firemaking expertise at level 99 is to be able to create a bonfire with elder logs without a tinderbox? Why can't we be boiling cauldrons with Herblore or something?`

At the moment I would say crafting is a skill that needs serious help. With gathering skills like divination and archaeology able to craft their own items, which are cooler items than what you can make using Crafting, it has been a giant missed opportunity. You mean to tell me that you don't need any skill in crafting to restore an artifact from the Second Age, using scrap materials you also dug up?

Agility also needs serious attention. You actually unlock more Hunter things than anything else from 92-99 agility. (2 agility shortcuts - in rarely traveled areas, three hunter buffs, and oh yeah, nourished sated and gorged effigies and a skillcape, but those don't really count). Also it's boring AF to train and that's not just my opinion.

Agility is a good point as well. It feels like there isn't enough reward and reason to train aside from quest reqs and just maxing. With all of the teleports/bladed dive/surge etc run energy doesn't really deplete, and shortcuts aren't used very often either. I think they could definitely do some great things with agility though I do like the anachronia course more than any other. 

I think for a lot of the non-combat skills even just introducing skilling bosses (like bgh or wintertodt on osrs) could really invigorate the game instead of having to do a full re-work of skills(even if the re-work is much needed)

Woodcutting, for sure, for reasons that have already been posted. Competing for trees in 2021, I'm so done with it.

I definitely agree that woodcutting could use a rework. The two skills I would change, though, would be Agility and Construction. I actually despise these two skills. 

Agility: I would probably try and add more "reasons" to train agility first. I don't think they can change how its trained since the whole point is to do agility courses; however, I think changing the rewards/milestones would help. Maybe BiS boots for skilling or PVM that have an agility requirement. Add additional shortcuts that are actually useful and would be used all the time. Maybe slightly increase run speed the higher your agility is. There are ways to slightly improve this skill to make people want to train it.

Construction: There are a TON of ways to increase this skills viability, HOWEVER, I think we need to change how we TRAIN this skill. I saw something about how they added a person who sends you to repair things and I think that could be expanded upon. I think back to the Edgeville destruction. What if, during contracts for construction, select buildings are in need of repair within the world. Like the safe cracking thing - it would be broken down by region with 5-10  minute "respawn" timers wherein the building slowly starts to break until its falling apart. This would ONLY occur while on contracts and, like safecracking, go off of in-game time. They make it require no materials because the "owner" of the building would have it all set up and would pay a scalable amount of money for your labor. 

daenyaathos

I agree that construction badly needs a rework.  I don't know if you guys play OSRS, but having 99 construction and a decked out house is HUGE.  Imo, they should copy that over to RS3.  Training construction is also horrible, although i don't know how the flatpack stuff has changed it. 

8 hours ago, daenyaathos said:

I agree that construction badly needs a rework.  I don't know if you guys play OSRS, but having 99 construction and a decked out house is HUGE.  Imo, they should copy that over to RS3.  Training construction is also horrible, although i don't know how the flatpack stuff has changed it. 

Just got 99 construction. It was terrible 

Firemaking for more exciting gender reveals and bombs

Edited by Death Angle4