I'm struggling with this game.

Afternine

Before I get to the meat and potatoes of this topic, I want to start by saying that I'm posting this to get other peoples insight and thoughts on the current state of affairs with runescape. This topic isn't meant to bash Jagex, nor do I wish any of the replies to do the same; but it will point out some things that I (very subjectively) feel are just not consumer friendly and are killing the original vision for this game.

So why am I struggling with this game? I've been playing my main account for a little over six years now. In that time I've seen DXP go from a "once in a great while" sort of thing, to a very common place sort of thing. We had mtx and the like when I first started; but not to the extent it exists today. It seems like any progress you make on an non-ironman account is becoming less and less meaningful. This feeling is underscored by the new fresh start worlds set to launch some time later this year (or maybe next year, I don't remember). Between all the xp bonuses and lamps, yak track rewards and now fsw, gains are nearly meaningless (to me).

To give you sort of an idea as to how much this kind of thing is affecting every day game play; aside from combat stats, and the 120s required to get the completionist cape, archeology, hunter and summoning (and even 120 summoning was gained during dxp), I have not "trained" any skills beyond 99 in the conventional way. All of that xp has been gained from bxp, lamps. This is my account today:

Spoiler

GIrFNy8.png

Agility? Haven't used anything except bxp, lamps and silverhawks. Other related stats, perhaps a little bit from Croe, but the vast majority of my non-combat xp comes from lamps and stars these days.

So what's the solution? I made a HCIM. And yes, at the start of that adventure, the good feelings returned. A true sense of accomplishment. As I went along, though, I felt I should be sinking this time into my main character. I mean, one day I would like to have a trimmed completionist account; and the idea of having that on a HCIM is absolutely mind bottling to me. I just can't fathom the dedication it would take.

I guess all of this to say, I now cannot decide if I want to only play my main character, only play my HCIM, or play both. My main character gives me far less satisfaction, but trim completionist is obtainable in a short few months (probably). My HCIM pops off on the dopamine levels and generally gives me a great sense of accomplishment. Playing both feels like somewhat a waste of my time.

Edited by Afternine

I would say grind the hell out of your main until you just can’t stand it anymore, then swap to the HCIM for the dopamine and sense of accomplishment. 

If you swap full time to the HCIM, I think you’re going to be wondering “what if I had focused on my main” in a few months and wish you had that trimmed completionist cape. But if you force yourself to play on main when really you’re just waiting for that final, trimmed completionist dopamine hit, you’re gonna make yourself miserable.

I don’t normally recommend swapping between two accounts. But in this case to me it sounds like it would make sense

I second Sam entirely. :)

Ordinarily, it is inadvisable to switch between two accounts because it often leads to burnout, and to a lack of appreciation for the nonrepeatable content which otherwise provides a lull in the grind. Furthermore, it can be difficult to become accustomed to either a "main" or an (HC)IM, then spend time struggling to remember all the differences in strategies and capabilities when you switch.

Having said that, it seems like you would benefit from pursuing the goal of Trimmed Completionist Cape on your main, one which you already have in your sights! Should you get that cape, then you will not only be proud of your incredible achievement there, but also have the psychological freedom to play your HCIM to the extent and the way you desire. :3

After that point, you could treat your HCIM as your main and enjoy the feeling of progression and accomplishment it gives you, for as long as you wish to play the game. There is a lot to work towards on an Iron account, so you will always have tangible goals, if that is important to you.

Since it seems like you don't enjoy playing your main too much anymore, aside from working towards Trim, and don't actively skill towards 120s or 200Ms, you won't have to play it unless you just want to check in, participate in an event, or simply enjoy using gear you would have to spend a long time to farm on your HCIM.

im in the same boat, im not a big fan of pvm even though i say its good compared to other games, i have trimmed completionist and mqpc so ive already done the big goals for a main account. for you, i would get trim, and maybe mqpc. mqpc for me was like 2 weeks of work once i actually started going for it, it was a lot faster than trim. but once you get those, its basically just upkeep on the new things, so your able to focus on another acc or something else inbetween those. you can always just do something afk on your main and play on your hcim, ive done that with my main recently while playing like destiny 2 or minecraft, just something to get money or xp. 

I also had this issue a few years ago with the MTX/DXP powercreep. Came to realize XP to me was meaningless, and iron didn't seem appealing so i looked for other ways to progress my main instead. Comp/mqc/trim, pvm, clues, slayer logs, runescore/achievement hunting are all great choices and more fun than grinding skills imo. Plus none are infested with mtx.

47 minutes ago, Afternine said:

So what's the solution? I made a HCIM. And yes, at the start of that adventure, the good feelings returned. A true sense of accomplishment. As I went along, though, I felt I should be sinking this time into my main character.

My take is to always stick to what is more enjoyable for you, which seems to be the iron atm. Shouldn't ever regret having fun on a game;). That being said, I know how much you want trim so maybe afk a couple reqs on the side while playing the HC? 

5 hours ago, Afternine said:

It seems like any progress you make on an non-ironman account is becoming less and less meaningful.

You got to define meaningful for yourself here. This sorta sounds like the OSRS mentality that 'if my xp rate isn't 20k an hour max then everything is devalued, bad game'. Nothing about faster xp devalues any of the skilling achievements IMO. They weren't much of an achievement anyways (time put in does not equate to skill) and we shouldn't really be celebrating terrible xp rates for bad content. This game is different now. Achievements have been pushed to other parts of the game. Being maxed or having a lot of xp is just a prereq for most other things.

I will say that as someone who also made a HCIM before the first part of the game is fun, but you will find that the further you progress into the endgame on an ironman the more and more like a main it will become. You will essentially be playing a main but with random time costs to maintain gear (runes, ammo, divine charges), acquire gear(abilities, armor, weapons), and a smaller community to pull from with whom to do group activities with (for some reason irons can't PvM with mains even though tons of irons just leech group pvm off higher level irons).

An endgame ironman is basically an endgame main but you will feel fear every time you FSOA spec cause you can't just buy more water runes from the GE.

Still, that being said...

I think taking a break from the game, or taking a break from your main to play the iron is the move. You got to mix things up. I've been in and out of favor with the game for awhile now. Don't force yourself to play if you aren't having fun. If you want to dip on the main for the iron to iron it up for a few months do it. The main will be around after still.

@AmusedDragon You've given me a lot to think about. I am trying to predict the future a little bit here and I do think that I would enjoy my mains end game more than a HCIM's end game. If only for the sake of the level of up-keep, and how much you limit yourself with group pvm. While I'm not a huge fan of most group pvm, eventually I might be. I would imagine it's far easier to get into group pvm on an account that isn't an ironman. I think to enjoy my main again, I need to re-evaluate what is important to me in this game; and care less about how I perceive other peoples' opinions to be regarding my own accomplishments. 

If you feel like you haven’t really earned an achievement that you were proud of on your main recently, you aren’t doing anything to push your skill in the game currently.

Try soloing a high tier boss, try soloing a group boss, try learning a new higher dps rot. 

Accomplishment in RS is what you make it out to be, not only 99s and xp. There is no ceiling for PVM, you can always be faster, deal more damage, try and be tick perfect. 

My thought with this game is the same thing I used to tell my chess students, if you think it’s not challenging then you aren’t challenging yourself. 

My two cents anyway :)