Internet has been slow as fuck

Ethan

Is it possible that my router is just old and dying? The thing has to be at least 5-6 years old.

My issues:

Webpages randomly stop loading, and I disconnect from things (MSN and IRC servers for example) way too often.

Webpages/pictures take forever to load, compared to say two months ago.

No one is stealing shit, because my password is like 87 letters and then 87 more numbers and they're all different.

I might just get a new router. My ISP has a router/modem combination that apparently is pretty good, but what should I be looking for?

Edit:

I'm paying for a 15MB service. A few months ago I was cruising at around 14.5MB. I just took a speed test again and this is what I have...

1697417410.png

Is the problem more than just a router?

Router is a good possibility, but from experience a broke router just drops connection, not really make it slower.

You may want to contact your ISP before you buy something and see if its perhaps the Modem

Router is a good possibility, but from experience a broke router just drops connection, not really make it slower.

You may want to contact your ISP before you buy something and see if its perhaps the Modem

I talked to them about it a while ago and they tried to convince me that it wasn't my modem, but rather my router, but that's business I guess.

I just took a series of speedtests on different computers. Downstairs one that is plugged into the wireless router, but then plugged into the computer got an 8.# and then a 14.#. I just took it again upstairs on this computer and got a 5.# and then an 8.21... and now I just got a 14.78.

I once had the same problem for about two months, and it annoyed my to no end. Other computers would work fine, but mine wouldn't, even with the router right next to my computer.It's fixed now, but I didn't really do anything to fix it.

Anyway, if at all possible, you could try a direct wired connection to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then it's definitely your router.

Anyway, if at all possible, you could try a direct wired connection to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then it's definitely your router.

Yeah I'll try to cruise around on the internet hardwired tomorrow. Router/Modem is downstairs next to the only fucking phone jack in this house.

Anything that gets constantly used for 5+ years can definitely give you problems. It wouldn't hurt to try getting a new router as well as contacting your ISP about it. I'm considering a new router myself because I'm using the one my ISP provided and I think it's a cheap piece of crap. I'm not sure if that's my problem too but I'm willing to try anything.

You've probly tried it but unplug your router and plug it back in after 30 seconds. Helped with mine last night. Also, if you live in an apt complex with a bunch of residents there's a good chance the wiring hasn't been upgraded in like 10 years and is just overtaxed from everyone using it. my dad paid for like 20mb web and the max dl speed we could get was like 50kb/s. company came out because we said it wasn't working and they basically said the infrastructure was bad and there was nothing they could do and pz'd out.

mine was shit a few years ago and i lived in a huge apt complex now I live in a smaller place and my internet pwns.

1697623478.png

typical dl speeds over 1mb/s

i bought a cisco e1000 wireless router last year on amazon for like 19 bucks. only problem i ever had with it was if i unplug it from the wall and plug it back in it doesn't start right. I have to unplug it from the back of the router rather than the wall. /ramble

I don't know that cycling my router like that will help, unfortunately. Because I got that 1.37MB/s last night, but then without doing anything I can get this.

1698448196.png

Edit: Why does my upload pale in comparison to yours, Dstar?

Your ISP is advertising a bloated speed. Divide 15 by 8 and thats your actual speed which is close to that speed test. I get 35MB up/down but I only average 5Mb/s down/up when downloading. You could try switching your DNS to either GoogleDNS or OpenDNS. I use GoogleDNS because I had this problem too, switching the DNS fixed everything.

Its something to do with Mega Bits and Mega bytes, Mega bytes is bigger. I believe MB=Megabytes and Mb=Mega bits but Im not sure, I always mix it up. ISP's advertise their speed in Mega bits

Edit: lol 1701721909.png Hard to find a server that can handle my upload speed

Edited by Dpa

1701785069.png

My numbers are very similar to yours.

I ran the test yesterday and I got a slower download speed but a faster upload speed of around .7, but here's what I got just now:

1703806876.png

Upload speed is not as important as Download speed though. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm paying my ISP for 10 Mb/s (or 20) and I'm only getting between 5 and 6. It's cheap but I should still be getting what I was promised.

Edited by MotoX Champ

The next time you start to experience issues with slowness or no connectivity, try to ping your router. Most IP's are 192.168.1.1, so attempt a ping on that when things start to lag:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

This will ping the specified IP until you tell it to stop (Ctrl + C). If you can ping it perfectly fine for an extended period of time while experiencing slowness, it is not the internal side of the router. To test the external side, ping your internet IP (http://whatismyip.com). Depending on your setup, this will ping your modem AKA going through your router's external interface. If you internal network has an issue replace your router, but if it is an issue with the modem just bitch at your ISP.

The next time you start to experience issues with slowness or no connectivity, try to ping your router. Most IP's are 192.168.1.1, so attempt a ping on that when things start to lag:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

This will ping the specified IP until you tell it to stop (Ctrl + C). If you can ping it perfectly fine for an extended period of time while experiencing slowness, it is not the internal side of the router. To test the external side, ping your internet IP (http://whatismyip.com). Depending on your setup, this will ping your modem AKA going through your router's external interface. If you internal network has an issue replace your router, but if it is an issue with the modem just bitch at your ISP.

Thanks for that bug. I got a new router though and it definitely has fixed the problem.