Rs3 is an inevitability, isn't it?

Seike

First, I don't know what Jagex has said on the subject. Secondly, most of the time when they say something that appears definite, it usually is overruled in time so perhaps it's for the best I am ignorant. Third, I'm sure this isn't a unique idea, so I'm not assuming I'm suggesting something different.

My prediction is that Jagex eventually releases a new RS, perhaps thought of as "rs3" or simply "rs" and puts the current game on the RSC-esque shelf. Secondly, I feel like direct character importing won't happen.

Reasons why:

The game that we currently have is quite... messy. Content has been added to the game over the course of like 8 years or however long it is... and over that time a lot of ideas have improved older ones. But the older, obsolete ideas have for the most part been kept in the game. There are many quest rewards that we've all already probably completed but that now the rewards seem completely useless. Example: the rare mithril and adamant mine in the Tourist Trap quest that's about 23023 miles from a bank. Well, now there are mithril and addy rocks right next to a bank deposit box in the dungeoneering resource dungeon under falador. Also, there's useless rewards for minigames like Mobilising armies. The toolbox addition they just put in makes the questers kit useless. What about the tackle box from fish flingers? What about some of the infinitely useless spells that exist that were badass in like 2003 like iban's blast? Or even more-recent ones like the level 71 Hunter kit spell that no one who has 71 magic would ever really need? Outdated content lingers all over RS, yet new content usually has an equally short self-life and becomes uninteresting months after being released.

Also, the economics of the game are all weird. Skills are so far gone that by now they're just for notoriety. Anything you actually do with them usually decreases the value of the item you do it to. That's a bit backwards, isn't it? Jagex has unintentionally made this game far too-easy by adding upgrades after upgrades to keep players interested. Staking is basically flipping a coin because everyone has the exact same stats. This brings me to my second point: Jagex can't keep your character's levels. To really make the third game work, the whole leveling system has to be revamped to encourage longer-term play so that there won't be so many players who play the game that are basically "maxed out" in their levels. When there is a cap that many players have reached, the game loses a significant amount of the continuous appeal that leveling gives them. I can see Jagex giving bonuses or extra wealth to transfer-accounts, but I can only really see a new version of the game working if all characters essentially have to start over again. There's just way too many people who are maxed out and I think Jagex would need to reset the players if they're going to resize the playing field.

Currently, it seems like group questing is really limited to dungeoneering and several minigames. Most quests are solo experiences and working together is streamlined as much as possible by GE so that many players never even need to talk to other players during gameplay. But there are content integration issues whenever you just chuck "fixes" for a game into an already established system- Dungeoneering really isn't integrated into the rest of RS besides just offering a few extra areas and some cool item rewards.

Really, to stay competitive Jagex is going to have to scrap the current RS game and start over. I saw the transition from RSC to RS2 and it was necessary. RSC couldn't have carried on this long. And RS' slowly waning popularity is evidence that it, too, has an expiration date. What do you think?

Edited by Seike

Those are some very interesting speculations and I agree with some of it but I don't think Jagex will abandon this version of Runescape any time soon. They worked so hard to break the bots that I don't see them giving up on this game now. Rather, I think they'll continue adding new stuff, revamping old stuff, doing Graphical Updates, and eventually release the next Version of RuneTek, the engine that Runescape runs on.

At Runefest, Jagex announced that sometime this year they would finally balance the combat triangle after 10 years of saying they would. They are going to do this by Re-Statting every single piece of armor and every weapon. They will also be changing the entire combat system itself, giving every weapon a special attack but not overpowered. Also actively clicking while in Combat will increase effectiveness but "afk" style combat will still be possible. Furthermore they said each type of attack will be even more effective depending it's type of damage, for example stab will be super effective against certain types of armor but very ineffective against other types.

If all of this is true and Jagex goes through with it, this current version of Runescape will essentially become "Runescape 3" because a new combat system means a new Engine. Runescape currently runs on RuneTek 5, which was launched in September of 2009. So it would be logical to assume that sometime this year, we will see the release of RuneTek 6. If this happens, it will also most likely include even more Graphical Options as wells in-game Graphical Updates to some of the older, outdated areas of Runescape. By doing all of that, it should breath new life into the game and hope fully draw in new players as well as keep the old ones interested and entertained. Of course all of this is just my speculation as well. We'll just have to see what happens.

Also on a side note, I think Jagex needs to advertise more if they want to keep RS alive. After all the bots were nuked, you could really see how few real human players were left compared to back in the peak years of RS. Hopefully we'll see active, busy worlds again, but this time with real human players.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame this doesn't have many replies yet.

It sounds plausible and if RuneScape started again, I'd be tempted to start again potentially. As would, I'm sure, many other people who've played and quit. Wasn't there supposed to be a MechScape or something that was a sci-fi RuneScape? If MechScape does become an actual thing I wonder if they'd keep the RuneScape name going or just leave RS2 in it's current form, not bother with a RS3 and apply almost all updates to MS.

Shame this doesn't have many replies yet.

It sounds plausible and if RuneScape started again, I'd be tempted to start again potentially. As would, I'm sure, many other people who've played and quit. Wasn't there supposed to be a MechScape or something that was a sci-fi RuneScape? If MechScape does become an actual thing I wonder if they'd keep the RuneScape name going or just leave RS2 in it's current form, not bother with a RS3 and apply almost all updates to MS.

http://stellardawn.wikia.com/wiki/MechScape

I think they shouldn't have added anything to the game after '07. Everything after Barrows and Slayer ultimately ruined the game.

I agree with you that they ruined the game by making it too easy and by destroying the economy. It used to be that you needed the time, skill, know-how, and a little bit of luck to level/get rich. Now it's down to just a matter of spending the hours to get what you want. It used to be that every good was in high demand, and people like Zezima possessed large wealth because they possessed a skill that not many people had (99 smithing). Clanning was fun because you had a clan with a wide range of stats. Now, everyone has virtually the same stats. Them "retiring" RS2 stats and resetting everyone for RS3 would be something I'd be interested in.

Edited by Knightmare25

I don't think there will be an RS3. Yes, RS as it is now has loads of useless content, and they inevitably make it worse. But as it is now, the game will just die slowly. Meanwhile, if they start over with something new and with characters non-importable, it will die a *fast* death like 98.99% of all other MMO games released.

I think they shouldn't have added anything to the game after '07. Everything after Barrows and Slayer ultimately ruined the game.

I agree with you that they ruined the game by making it too easy and by destroying the economy. It used to be that you needed the time, skill, know-how, and a little bit of luck to level/get rich. Now it's down to just a matter of spending the hours to get what you want. It used to be that every good was in high demand, and people like Zezima possessed large wealth because they possessed a skill that not many people had (99 smithing). Clanning was fun because you had a clan with a wide range of stats. Now, everyone has virtually the same stats. Them "retiring" RS2 stats and resetting everyone for RS3 would be something I'd be interested in.

This

If RuneScape went back to '07 style I'd get a membership today. Shame it never will :wilson:

www.rs2006.net

There is already over 50,000 people signed up for it, it will be going into Alpha testing soon. It's going to be a full version of RS (quests, minigames, skills, normal exp rate, everything) that will contain nothing after May 15th, 2006. The only possible "future" content they are considering putting into the game is skill capes.

Myself and a bunch of old friends are playing it, hop on board!

I would like to see them expand the world and make it more "stretched out" in a new game. Don't let me run from Varrock to Falador in 30 seconds, make it take me 20 minutes, or 5 on a horse. So not quite the scaling extent we read about in the novels (where it takes 2 days to ride a horse from Falador to Taverly), but possibly make the areas and cities the size of say, World of Warcraft. And have mounts obviously.

Of course, if they did port our skills (while I would LIKE to see them start fresh like you say Seike, I doubt they would as the community backlash would be HUGE), they would need to completely rebalance EVERYTHING to accomodate for the new travel times.

That rs2006 looks pretty awesome if it works out. I cant remember but is it going to be before godswords, but after ancients/whips?

Also I think RS is becoming more like a WOW clone. They are making pking worse and worse with all this new gear, and summoning. Now they just focus on pve(raids in WOW) with all the new bosses. There are a ton of people in WOW at maxed lvl and they just keep raising the max lvl, maybe RS will eventually have to do something like this, although all of those people with 200m exp would already be quite a few lvls highers than the rest.

That rs2006 looks pretty awesome if it works out. I cant remember but is it going to be before godswords, but after ancients/whips?

Also I think RS is becoming more like a WOW clone. They are making pking worse and worse with all this new gear, and summoning. Now they just focus on pve(raids in WOW) with all the new bosses. There are a ton of people in WOW at maxed lvl and they just keep raising the max lvl, maybe RS will eventually have to do something like this, although all of those people with 200m exp would already be quite a few lvls highers than the rest.

Whips, Ancients, Barrows Gloves will all be included.

Defenders, Godswords etc. will not be. Anything from May 15th, 2006 and before is included. The only addition they are still possibly considering would be adding in skill capes just for the simple fact of being able to show off your levels etc.

Rs2006 is an interesting thought but playing the same game will eventually become dull, just as RSC became dull despite a strong initial fan-base of RSC loyalists. The game showed some of the same content integration issues I'm describing now in 2006.

I really like some of the new updates to RS and feel RS3 would be ideal since it would still be the main focus of Jagex' improvements. Content can always be added and refined to keep things interesting, but at this point most the current game was built in pieces that overlap instead of a unified central plan.

Edited by Seike

Whips, Ancients, Barrows Gloves will all be included.

Defenders, Godswords etc. will not be. Anything from May 15th, 2006 and before is included. The only addition they are still possibly considering would be adding in skill capes just for the simple fact of being able to show off your levels etc.

Thats awesome, godswords is where pking started going downhill, i might have to check it out. Although its going be hard to keep running off of just donations.

Rs2006 is an interesting thought but playing the same game will eventually become dull, just as RSC became dull despite a strong initial fan-base of RSC loyalists. The game showed some of the same content integration issues I'm describing now in 2006.

I really like some of the new updates to RS and feel RS3 would be ideal since it would still be the main focus of Jagex' improvements. Content can always be added and refined to keep things interesting, but at this point most the current game was built in pieces that overlap instead of a unified central plan.

It may get boring, but the main thing I see with RS2006 is bringing back mb pking and stuff like that. RS3 would definitely be better than the way they are going currently with the updates, they seem to be trying to appeal to anything possible. Example: I saw they added some voice/sound enabled quest. That sounds absolutely pathetic, I dont want to spend hours listening to some guy talk to me, but I guess some people like it enough.

seike, 1 of our members attended runefest back in november of last year and posted quite a bit on the direction they are going

check it out and tell me what you think

www.rs2006.net

There is already over 50,000 people signed up for it, it will be going into Alpha testing soon. It's going to be a full version of RS (quests, minigames, skills, normal exp rate, everything) that will contain nothing after May 15th, 2006. The only possible "future" content they are considering putting into the game is skill capes.

O_0 I've signed up for it and will be getting the Pre-Alpha soon i'll tell you lot how it works out. Also I'd hate the reset idea as you can see with Rs2 i was supposed to get 2 phats unfortunetly i didn't :breakcomputer: . Also thing is it's just tech. a private server...

Edited by Flare

www.rs2006.net

O_0 I've signed up for it and will be getting the Pre-Alpha soon i'll tell you lot how it works out. Also I'd hate the reset idea as you can see with Rs2 i was supposed to get 2 phats unfortunetly i didn't :breakcomputer: . Also thing is it's just tech. a private server...

I'm well aware that it's just a private server, never said that it wasn't.