Ending's Remorse

Joshjrn

I was just listening to the credits song from Portal II and it got me thinking about all the games I've played over the years that, when they ended, the feeling just wasn't quite right. Normally when I "beat" a game, it's a feeling of joy and accomplishment. But, with some games, that feeling is very quickly replaced with...

...it's over... but no... fuck...

Now, leave the nostalgia glasses at home. I'm not looking for games where, looking back, you have fond memories. I'm more interested in games that, the moment they ended, you wished they hadn't. Further, why you think that particular game had that effect on you. Personally, I was probably the hardest hit by Ocarina of Time. I actually posted a depression thread on the boards :reporter: For me, it was probably a combination of the fact that the story line was relatively engaging, but probably more importantly, I played that shit forever. I had a similar reaction to Portal II, but the reasons were different. The game is so utterly unique, and there was no ready "replacement" I could jump to.

So, what say you?

To be honest Final Fantasy 10, it was such a good plot line and I really wish it ended on a happy note but it kinda didn't which was really really upsetting for me.

A lot of the final fantasies have that kind of thing going on. My favorites are 8 and 10.

Had a similar reaction to the end of Sonic 2, but then again I was like 6yo at the time.

I usually get that way if I fall in love with the universe established by the game, or even some books. If that happens I want more material regarding the games universe, not just the characters. When a story with an established world that I've come to love ends, I can't help but feel kind of sad because I'll never get another insight into that kind of world ever again. For this reason I'll be both excited and sad to play Mass Effect 3.