New Mouse

Rafi

I'm looking to replace my 15 year old mouse that has a broken scroll wheel and doesn't always know that I'm holding down a button anymore. Figure I may as well get one that will both be usable for work as well as useful for playing Runescape.  A super techie gamer friend recommended Razer brand mice as high quality and fully functional with macs. 

Do any of you use Razer Mice? The quiz on the Razer website (large hand, palm or claw grip, preference towards ergonomic comfort) recommended these two:

Naga Trinity

DeathAdder V2

I know he uses one of the Naga series which is $10 more. For those of you who have used them, which Razer model do you prefer?

I know the Razer brand is very popular & I've never owned a Razer product, so I'm not speaking from personal experience on this, but friends have told me that the Nagas aren't of the highest quality. I bought a Logitech G600 a few years ago, which is an MMO mouse similar to the Naga, and I've enjoyed using it. It's cheaper than the Naga Trinity that you linked. However, I don't know anything about its compatibility with Macs, so that's definitely something to look into first if you're interested in it. A couple things from my experience using the G600: the 12 side buttons are pretty good, it's the only mouse like this I've ever owned so I don't have anything to compare it to, but they're responsive and feel good. The mouse does have a "third click" on the right side, where your ring finger rests. I personally don't like this button, as I found myself pressing it involuntarily often, so I just un-mapped it. However, the intent behind it is to map it to a modifier like shift, alt, or control so you can access more keybind combinations. 

11 minutes ago, Rafi said:

I'm looking to replace my 15 year old mouse that has a broken scroll wheel and doesn't always know that I'm holding down a button anymore. Figure I may as well get one that will both be usable for work as well as useful for playing Runescape.  A super techie gamer friend recommended Razer brand mice as high quality and fully functional with macs. 

Do any of you use Razer Mice? The quiz on the Razer website (large hand, palm or claw grip, preference towards ergonomic comfort) recommended these two:

Naga Trinity

DeathAdder V2

I know he uses one of the Naga series which is $10 more. For those of you who have used them, which Razer model do you prefer?

From personal use, I'll never reccomend Naga mice though some swear by them.

Granted maybe I'm an outlier in how much work i put them through but after a while the cables fray/the buttons dont register and R/L click either gets dulled (needing to press it harder) or they double click when I attempt to click once.

Playing WoW/RS I've went through 4 of them rather quickly due to probelms above.

Corsair mice have the worst software i've ever had the displeasure of needing to use.

As Cam mentioned (as I'm writing this)

3 minutes ago, Cam L said:

but friends have told me that the Nagas aren't of the highest quality. I bought a Logitech G600 a few years ago, which is an MMO mouse similar to the Naga, and I've enjoyed using it.

I've had my current one for 3.5yrs and the software is easy to use/ and much cheaper than Naga. Though as he mentioned I dont know what the deal is about compatibility with MAC.

Bought this for $20 and have no regrets, I mean it’s a mouse and it does it’s job.  It’s just as good as any other sub $100 mouse. I don’t see a reason to spend more than that.

Corsair Harpoon PRO - RGB Gaming Mouse - Lightweight Design - 12,000 DPI Optical Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QVB51L9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0YS72MSD49Y6AW0QD5G8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I definitely like Logitech. If you want a lightweight, versatile mouse with only a few buttons (2 on the left, or 2 on the right, depending which side you prefer), I would recommend the Logitech G Pro Wireless. It's very nice.

7 hours ago, ms jenni said:

I definitely like Logitech. If you want a lightweight, versatile mouse with only a few buttons (2 on the left, or 2 on the right, depending which side you prefer), I would recommend the Logitech G Pro Wireless. It's very nice.

I don't much care about weight. I often find that larger mice are more comfortable and easier on the wrist. 

Haven't looked at these yet but will. I could try an LG, but the last wired mouse I had from them did not function smoothly on a mac. Granted it was a cheap $25 mouse, but it works well on my pc at work which makes me skeptical. 

Own the deathadder v2.

Its really comfy for my hand. Has 2 buttons on the left side that you can program to keys if you want and 2 buttons below the scroll wheel too. The lighting is just a plus.

4 hours ago, Bobby said:

Own the deathadder v2.

Its really comfy for my hand. Has 2 buttons on the left side that you can program to keys if you want and 2 buttons below the scroll wheel too. The lighting is just a plus.

Yeah- light makes no difference to me. If I am content to play on minimum graphics I certainly don’t care about my hand glowing! 

Trying to decide between the more limited buttons which are easy to handle (and cheaper) vs trying to adapt to key binds and such on a more serious gamer mouse. 

I upgraded from a Logitech trackball mouse to a Razer and that one died in a short span of time (started to double click). I was looking for side buttons but not a lot and my hand is kinda small so I have trouble fitting most mice. I've had the Logitech G502 Hero for a while, I like it except that I can't reach all of the extra buttons without having to hold it awkwardly. It has extra weights included so you can customize the feel of it (I tucked it into a drawer, probably forever) and the software allows you to save different profiles meaning you can swap between one with keybinds for Runescape and then swap it to some default settings for working hours. Sas actually has the G402 and his hand is quite a bit larger than mine and he likes it well enough to convince me to get the next generation of it (this one).

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g502-hero-gaming-mouse.910-005469.html

• 3 weeks later...
JuicyCoffee

I usually judge my mice by weight. When I did a deep dive on what mouse to upgrade to when I got a new one I found out that people are extremely passionate about PC mice.

This website is the end all be all for mice reviews. They go over hand size, weight and a bunch of other things.

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/

I personally also play a ton of shooters so I looked into the best mice for my palm position and chose one based on weight. I ended up with the Master Mouse MM710. I've had it for about a year now with no issues. The feet glide extremely well and the weight allows me to play long hours without my hand getting any extra stress. 

I hope the website helps you out some more!

Decided to try out the Razar Naga Trinity. Apparently Razer hasn't updated their mac app in years though, and it's not compatible with either of the two most recent mac operating systems. Talk about false advertising. The instruction booklet that comes with it even says mac compatible. The mouse itself is comfortable and works well, but I haven't yet been able to change the default functions of the side buttons - so far they are just 1-10. I care less about controlling the color. There's some terminal prompts I'm going to try to force it through the modern security system, but I see mixed results online. There may also be some bootleg third party apps that could control it. 

Of course once I got the mouse I started doing more serious googling and it's apparently a big thing that Razer has actively not put out updated software for Mac. Not only are people buying it and then not being able to use them, but people with existing Razer hardware are finding that they can no longer control it once they update. Poo on you, Razer!

19 minutes ago, Rafi said:

Poo on you, Razer!

Honestly compare them to jagex. They say they have this great product but in actuality its garbage.

2 hours ago, Deathcon said:

Honestly compare them to jagex. They say they have this great product but in actuality its garbage.

Very different. For Razer it’s an intentional choice. Presumably it’s a cost benefit analyses that they’ve chosen to let go the Mac gamer and programming community (I understand that programmers also commonly use mmo style mice).
This is really weird though, as mac computer usage has drastically increased as a percentage of computers in the US compared to where it was 20 years ago. Most companies are adding compatibility rather than letting it go. 

Jagex, as far as I understand, had a piece of hardware die and didn’t have sufficient redundancies and/or backups in place to deal with it. 20gp says when they finally sort this all out, they’ll invest the money in redundancies. It’ll be wayyyyy cheaper than losing a month of time for several staff members next time this happens. I wouldn’t be surprised if this problem costs the company at least $100,000 in staff time, gear, contract work, and some handouts to affected players. 

JuicyCoffee

The only Razer product I'll ever get is the Naga and that's because idk of a competitor mouse that does the side buttons so well.

1 hour ago, JuicyCoffee said:

The only Razer product I'll ever get is the Naga and that's because idk of a competitor mouse that does the side buttons so well.

Logitech lol.

I got the g600.

Took me a few weeks after mapping the buttons on the side to stuff to really get comfortable with it. Now I think it's fantastic.

Have had 2 logitech g600 mice. Heavy and there is a learning curve to using the side buttons, but it has the best price and feature set I could find.

I know XTL and some others liked the g502, if you don't want all the side buttons.