Bullet trains

Beeppudnolan

As long as they're safe, it looks cool to me. I've never been on a train/subway surprisingly. 

I don't go on trains much either, but there could be lots of benefits from this system if it's affordable compared to driving or flying. It's faster than driving and slower than a plane. I'm sure all the big plane companies would have a fit over this and try to block it.

As long as they're safe, it looks cool to me. I've never been on a train/subway surprisingly. 

I don't go on trains much either, but there could be lots of benefits from this system if it's affordable compared to driving or flying. It's faster than driving and slower than a plane. I'm sure all the big plane companies would have a fit over this and try to block it.

It seems practical to have it so they can have a fit all they want. How could they stop it?

Depends if it'll still be cheaper tog et on an aeroplane.

Plane flights here are ridiculously more expensive than in Europe. If we had them, you could probably take a bullet train 5 times for the same price it would cost to take a plane to the same destination.

I think safe, fast, and efficient public transportation is the way to go in high populated areas and for mass transport. Bullet trains seem to be the best solution for that, so I'd really like for them to be used here.

This needs to be some "21st century New Deal" business. It'd create jobs for construction, and people would be able to retain jobs for maintenance. I don't know what would need to be done in terms of building tracks though. These tracks probably already exist, unless a 220MPH train requires a different style of track.

However, it will never work unless they can make trains cheaper. I spent $550 round trip travelling from Wisconsin to Washington state on a train. A year or so ago, Wisconsin was on the verge of getting a "high speed train" (79MPH until 2016, 110MPH after that) from Madison to Milwaukee. The cost was going to be $22-$33 one-way. It's about $20-$30 to drive to Milwaukee round trip, and will take maybe ~15-25 minutes longer to get there via car.

I'd love for this to happen, but we're an incredibly long way out on something like this.

It seems practical to have it so they can have a fit all they want. How could they stop it?
Corporate lobby groups can hold a significant amount of clout. The airline industry is no exception.

All sorts of things have been stopped. Car companies would have been against electric cars, but they got baited with Federal Funding for designing electric cars. The hemp industry was lobbied out by oil/wood/various other industries back when they banned industrial hemp.

Airlines are already having trouble as it is. This would set them back even further.

This issue has been brought up before and I'd fully support bullet train travel in the US. It is safe, clean, and relatively cheap/convenient compared to planes. Lobbying and fear of tax increases have prevented it though.

We as a country are probably ranked the lowest in rail road usage.

No one uses trains.

They would if we had this.

Thats what they say, but I don't believe it.

If you look at the UK, using trains is the norm.  Hell, I'm guilty too, the only time I ever use a train is when I go to NYC.  It's about the same time as driving, but I get to avoid city traffic.

No one uses trains.

But I think we also have the most tracks laid down, compared to other countries. For freight and junk.

No one uses trains.

They would if we had this.

Thats what they say, but I don't believe it.

If you look at the UK, using trains is the norm.  Hell, I'm guilty too, the only time I ever use a train is when I go to NYC.  It's about the same time as driving, but I get to avoid city traffic.

Just to clear this up a little bit. Using trains is not the norm in most situations. It is when you're travelling to/through London simply because of the condensed traffic and lack of parking spaces compared to the amount of cars in the area. The US isn't overly populated with cars on the most part so that's why I'd imagine they're not used as often.

But it's pretty much only used for London unless people without a driving license need to go a fair distance.

Edited by Aurum

There would be plenty of space for luggage obviously. I'm sure there would be trains that cater to local/regional/national type or by cars so people could bring their luggage or just a small bag. 

This is definitely something that would be reasonable since it would run mainly on magnets I believe and cut out a lot of pollution or at least some.