Bonds

Beric

Uhhh so how exactly how does this hurt gold farmers?

Them saying that seems more like a front to get them to, in essence, raise the price of membership (assuming it's still less than $10/month).

Edited by FSU Zach

As a large goldfarmer, I can tell you that this is what is going to happen:

The people who currently buy gold will still buy from goldfarmers as it will always be cheaper.

The people who have not bought gold up to now will buy gold from Jagex.

So for now, there has been no damage done against EOC goldfarmers. This will be the case unless Jagex's price = Goldfarmer's price, and that will never happen because the goldfarmers will undercut until it is in no way profitable anymore. And the only way it will not be profitable anymore is if Runescape dies or comes close to dieing.

Edited by Power20024
As a large goldfarmer, I can tell you that this is what is going to happen:

The people who currently buy gold will still buy from goldfarmers as it will always be cheaper.

The people who have not bought gold up to now will buy gold from Jagex.

So for now, there has been no damage done against EOC goldfarmers. This will be the case unless Jagex's price = Goldfarmer's price, and that will never happen because the goldfarmers will undercut until it is in no way profitable anymore. And the only way it will not be profitable anymore is if Runescape dies or comes close to dieing.

Risk factor also comes into play here. Buying from goldfarmers should result in an instant ban now, if they are caught. Lets face it, if they can tell that 40% of people bought gold, why didn't they ban them? (assuming they didn't make this up, seems a little high to me but still) Because they would have lost so many customers it would of been ridiculous seems the logical answer. Its hard to see what the prices will settle on with bonds as its so early but im sure people would rather pay a little more and run no risk of being banned. Of course not everyone will.

I don't think they intended this to totally eradicate the problem, just to take away a large portion of it.

My guess is that now they are practically selling gold themselves they will start instabanning anyone caught dealing with gold farmers instantly, whereas that probably wasn't the case until this update unless it was on a grand scale.

Edited by Zell 222
I can't even put in the effort to figure out how this deals with RWT or what it even means. All that caught my attention is that membership is now "free".

You can effectively buy gold in-game now, but the seller of the gold only gets membership or runecoins in return, rather than cold hard cash (Jagex keeps all of the cash :P). So this actually does stamp out gold farmers because they have little use for runecoins/membership, they need the cold hard cash themselves to thrive.

But Runescape is now officially 100% pay-to-win. You actually are directly buying in-game wealth when you buy bonds (because you buy them with cash, then sell them to other players for RSGP).

MapleStory2.0

On the plus side, this doesn't hurt the RS economy at all because it is not injecting any new GP into the game (like Squeal does), so it doesn't directly affect people who choose not to participate. But it DOES mean that players can absolutely buy success now.

On the plus side, this doesn't hurt the RS economy at all because it is not injecting any new GP into the game (like Squeal does), so it doesn't directly affect people who choose not to participate. But it DOES mean that players can absolutely buy success now.

So it doesn't, but it kinda does.

If you suck at RS and you put no time and/or pretending to be a girl into it, than you don't deserve the money. So maybe not directly effecting the economy, but it does effect it.

Okay I've had a revelation:

Bonds are actually going to INCREASE the number of people using goldfarming sites because now you can buy membership for cheaper than what Jagex charges for it.
Buy gold from a goldfarming site (it is extremely cheap), then use that gold to buy the bonds in-game. At current prices, you can get a month of membership for $2.
But Jagex still got their $10 because someone had to initally buy the bonds. 

Bonds are actually going to INCREASE the number of people using goldfarming sites because now you can buy membership for cheaper than what Jagex charges for it.

Buy gold from a goldfarming site (it is extremely cheap), then use that gold to buy the bonds in-game. At current prices, you can get a month of membership for $2.

sounds like a win win win (win for us, win for jagex, win for gold farmers) Edited by FreeBall In

Why would anyone buy bonds at all, they are ridiculously high priced to begin with.

Why would anyone buy bonds at all, they are ridiculously high priced to begin with.

They're really not. If you're making 6m a week, then you're only cutting half your profits for the ability to keep playing. I'd rather cut my RuneScape profits in half than my real life profits. Why use cash when you can use gold?

You sure? The membership bonds are only good for 14 days and I'm pretty sure its $5/bond. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

You sure? The membership bonds are only good for 14 days and I'm pretty sure its $5/bond. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Market price of the bonds in-game right now is 5m each so for 2 bonds (to get a month of membership) is 10m. 10m on a goldfarming site is ~$2. So uhhhh yeah.

But Jagex got their $10 because someone paid $5 each for those two bonds to get into the game at some point. So dumb kids that want to buy gold the "safe" way (through Jagex) are paying $1/mil while everyone else still pays $0.20/mil through the chinasites.

Edited by Memphus