US Schools

Eisa

Need help from anyone who has any experience in this area .-.

Was curious about financial aid for universities in the states, particularly merit aid and what criteria they look for, and even a general explanation of the system over there would greatly help.

Tl;Dr, who is eligible for financial/merit aid in the US, and how does the system work.

Thanks <3

Well, its pretty simple for US Citizens to apply for financial aid and scholarships, but I'm not so sure about international students. I'd check out this link http://www.edupass.org/finaid/

Figured as much, fml. Thanks for the link, was searching for something similar. I'll look some more when I get proper Internet back <3

Minority representation (ethnicity OR region) and superstars get pure merit scholarships, but they are less common than they used to be. International is tough. Really native American is the way to go.

I got a you are an interesting person and we want you scholarship. Mostly for circus and leadership. My grades were slightly better than average but nothing special (A-/B+... Academically I'm lazy, but organizationally I'm a powerhouse).

Anyways, there's lots of alternative scholarships like that, but always harder to get as an international. I would also suggest searching locally for scholarships to send you abroad.

Minority representation (ethnicity OR region) and superstars get pure merit scholarships, but they are less common than they used to be. International is tough. Really native American is the way to go.

I got a you are an interesting person and we want you scholarship. Mostly for circus and leadership. My grades were slightly better than average but nothing special (A-/B+... Academically I'm lazy, but organizationally I'm a powerhouse).

Anyways, there's lots of alternative scholarships like that, but always harder to get as an international. I would also suggest searching locally for scholarships to send you abroad.

The thing is, the only local scholarship is offered by the government on two criteria, the your father knows somebody criteria, or the you worked so hard in high school you died criteria. Sadly the first group eats the entire selection pool and the second group gets really competitive. Furthermore the only measure of aptitude is GPA, which is dissapointing in my case, due to the fact that the American school system really doesn't suit me; I excel greatly at examinations yet the week in and week out pointless assignments American system doesn't go well with me.

My number one plan of operations is to take the iGCSEs this summer and switch to an English school for my following year, but here's the catch, my government needs a serial pattern in your high school education, so you can't just switch school system on your final year, but that's just what they say. I've been to several departments in our ministry of education and no one could give me a straight answer.

All in all, fuck this >_>

You would probably be best off finding private scholarships based on writing essays or something. 

This man is full of wisdom. There are lots of private scholarships to be had. Just keep applying until something sticks. 

You would probably be best off finding private scholarships based on writing essays or something.

This man is full of wisdom. There are lots of private scholarships to be had. Just keep applying until something sticks.

That's good news, I'll check some out, was digging around yesterday and did stumble across a few. Thanks <3

• 2 weeks later...

Check out company based sponsorships too.  In the undergrad I'm working on right now, I'm getting 2k+ USD from Chevron, Freeport-McMoRan, Marathon, Carmeuse, and Cliffs.  (they're all petroleum/mining), but depending on which engineering discipline you're looking into, there is money there than no one really knows about, and these companies love to just give it out.

Check out company based sponsorships too.  In the undergrad I'm working on right now, I'm getting 2k+ USD from Chevron, Freeport-McMoRan, Marathon, Carmeuse, and Cliffs.  (they're all petroleum/mining), but depending on which engineering discipline you're looking into, there is money there than no one really knows about, and these companies love to just give it out.

I actually did stumble across some company based scholarships I might be eligible for, thanks for the heads up C: