Windows 10

Blank

Has anyone else gotten it?

I have a free upgrade, I guess they sent out free upgrades for owners of windows 7 and 8, and was wondering if windows 10 would be good. I have windows 7 at the moment.

I have been diligently testing the Insider Preview, and I love it. I installed it as a dual boot, and haven't touched my win7 installation since. Just to be on the safe side though in case you don't like it or you have driver/hardware support issues, I would make a back up first. Or wait until it's officially released at the end of july. I can also answer any questions you might have about it, or at least most of them :D

Oh and also obviously since it is still a preview if you upgrade now it will update the build periodically... takes a while it runs like it's installing a fresh OS during the build updates :P Just food for thought might influence your decision :P

Yes the upgrade is available for 1 year after the official release, so you could even wait til they iron out the rest of bugs that pop up afterwards :P

Yes the upgrade is available for 1 year after the official release, so you could even wait til they iron out the rest of bugs that pop up afterwards :P

Thats what im probably gonna do. As I said ive got windows 7 and im pretty content with it. I chose 7 over 8 and 10 looks more like 8. haha. Ill probably try it out once it comes out as a dual boot.

I would actually say it takes the best qualities of both 7 and 8. Most home users complained about Microsoft removing the start menu (rightfully so, it has been one of the staples of the OS since windows95 :P ) well rejoice because the windows 7 style start menu has returned, but it also keeps the right click options from 8.1 for quick access to commonly used menus (like control panel or the command prompt). Another big thing that Many are looking forward to including myself is the new Directx 12 API. The main focus of the API is to reduce CPU bottlenecking and provide better support/performance for multithreaded CPUs. Rather than write you an essay on the subject, here is a link to the developer blog which explains the benefits in detail:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

More or less in simplified terms the idea is to have the software make more efficient use of the hardware instead of just making more powerful hardware. Personally I notice a huge difference already even outside of running games (I have an unlocked i7-875k which sacrifices on board intel graphics to run 4 extra threads, essentially turning my quad core CPU into an 8 core CPU :D )

Edited by Carsomyr
  • 5 months later...

I am a little late to the game, has everyone upgraded to windows 10 by now?  Have they fixed any issues that came with it?  Should I be upgrading as well, I have windows 8.1