New Mexico - Part of the United States

Shoshinryu

Thought I'd share something a little funny. I'm not sure if any of the other members live in New Mexico, but whenever I travel or start a new game with new people and I mention that I am from New Mexico, there is always at least one person who throws out some version of the line "Welcome to the United States!" 

I don't know about everyone elses geography classes when you were in school, but I'm pretty sure mine covered New Mexico being an official state in the United States.

What about you guys? Any funny, weird, or interesting stories or thoughts about how people react to where you're from?

-- And if you look to the left, you'll see that I indeed felt it necessary to put my location as United States - New Mexico. Haha

I'm originally from Jordan. I have to explain where that country is far more often than I would have ever expected. 

16 minutes ago, Beric (Ironeyes) said:

I'm originally from Jordan. I have to explain where that country is far more often than I would have ever expected. 

This is probably the case for 75% of countries. I'd like to know how many people can accurately label a map of Europe, let alone the middle-east.

I probably can't accurately label most countries, but I'd for sure know which general area they belong in. :reporter:

Do people think Jordan's a state or something?

Generally speaking, people know where England is (although they quite often confuse it with the whole of the UK). There's no point getting into specifics within England since each county is way too small to be a significant landmark outside of Greater London.

7 minutes ago, Dan G said:

Do people think Jordan's a state or something?

These experiences are mostly with Americans, so no, they don't think it's a state. But I'm often finding people have -zero- idea that it's in the Middle East, or occasionally have never heard of the country at all. 

I just assumed a country sitting in the middle of Israel, Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia would have a bit more recognition. :woeh:

Actually just started that quiz and it's not great- you just type any country (not a specific one), and it's reallllyyyy hard to see the map used.

Haha, I used to live in New Mexico. I've never actually had that problem. Though people seem extremely surprised to find out that it does snow - so many people think it's only a hot, dry desert.

I wish I could experience things again as an adult,  where I'm allowed to do more. Silly parents being all worried about me talking about hearing the rattlesnakes, finding prints still warm (bobcat or bear, never found out), etc... don't miss javelina, though. 

4 hours ago, Dan G said:

This is probably the case for 75% of countries. I'd like to know how many people can accurately label a map of Europe, let alone the middle-east.

I had map tests in 8th and 9th grade. I still remember these things. So lets put it at 1 or more. 

2 hours ago, Ripply said:

Haha, I used to live in New Mexico. I've never actually had that problem. Though people seem extremely surprised to find out that it does snow - so many people think it's only a hot, dry desert.

I wish I could experience things again as an adult,  where I'm allowed to do more. Silly parents being all worried about me talking about hearing the rattlesnakes, finding prints still warm (bobcat or bear, never found out), etc... don't miss javelina, though. 

We literally had the worst snow storm of the year last week, middle of freaking April and we got 8-10 inches from Mother Nature. Granted, I live at 7300 feet so kind of a given that I'm going to have snow, haha.

Yeah, would snow in June occasionally. I lived in a valley,  basically.  Three sides were mesas, one side mountain. The ravine that was crossed to get anywhere would freeze over and we'd be stuck. Then when the snow would melt and rush down from the mesa, the ravine would be too flooded to cross. Ah, I miss New Mexico. I was around 5700 feet, so not as much cold as you'd get. Now I'm in muggy Florida...

I can't imagine being in such a humid place as Florida. If I ever move again it's going to be something nearby with relatively the same climate.