The Internet Blacklist Bill (S.968)

Clowd

Urge Congress To Reject The PROTECT IP Act

Here it comes: CNET reports that the House of Reps is about to introduce its own version of the Internet Blacklist Bill: Will you fill out the form at right to demand that your lawmakers oppose it?

[bob] Goodlatte, a leader in Congress on technology policy, told a crowd of over a hundred that the House is working on its own version of the Senate bill....The House bill will be introduced in the next few weeks, and hearings will be scheduled for mid-September, Goodlatte said.

The Internet Blacklist Bill -- S.968, formally called the PROTECT IP Act -- would allow the Department of Justice to force search engines, browsers, and service providers to block users' access to websites that have been accused of facilitating intellectual property infringement -- without even giving them a day in court. It would also give IP rights holders a private right of action, allowing them to sue to have sites prevented from operating. Demand Progress's new mash-up explains the bill:

I highly doubt this crock of shit will even come close to passing any form of vote, but you never know, governments love power. Without reading all of the fluff, what this bill would do is enable the US Department of Justice to redirect urls of websites that they "deem to be engaging in infringing activities" to a fancy page that will likely look comparable to this:

a5c9bc8c2206.jpg

From what I understand, the bill enables the DoJ to do this without any warning or involvement of the judicial system. Sure, later on they may have to back up their decision, but they wouldn't have to run it through a court before taking it offline. Sites that would likely be affected by this would be any torrent or P2P related site. Extremists are going as far as to say that the gov't would also block sites such as youtube, soundcloud, pandora, and basically any other site you can listen to music on. Don't get me wrong, if this bill was passed they COULD do that without question, but god help them if they did.

Say no to censorship.

Comments / Opinions?

It's a brave new world, kids. If you don't stand up for your rights and the rights of others, you'll have no one to blame but yourself when you wake up one morning to find that you have no liberty left.

NEVER underestimate just how very little an elected official knows about the things they vote and have opinions on.

Edited by Muse
Beeppudnolan

It's a brave new world, kids. If you don't stand up for your rights and the rights of others, you'll have no one to blame but yourself when you wake up one morning to find that you have no liberty left.

Shows how much you actually know.

Just cause they say something, actually abiding by it and following it is another thing.

Just cause they say something, actually abiding by it and following it is another thing.

Come again?

If there are laws on the books, someone will be there to uphold them.

:talktothehand:

Beeppudnolan

They have to be there to uphold them, to few people to uphold them and way to many people to keep in check!

Pretty much the way I see it(in my fantasy land), I have every liberty I choose. Now as to what extent I take my liberties is up to me. As in not murdering people, stealing, etc etc.

Edited by Beeppudnolan

They have to be there to uphold them, to few people to uphold them and way to many people to keep in check!

This is what you come back with? Seriously?

There are only a handful of major ISPs and even fewer search engines. If you don't think that this would be enforceable from a practical standpoint, you're even more of an idiot than I thought.

Beeppudnolan

I am quite the ignorant idiot. I'm not even talking about isp's and search providers.

Should you expect anything less since each of our last topics. :jaymonkey9ra:

Edited by Beeppudnolan

I am quite the ignorant idiot. I'm not even talking about isp's and search providers.

If you aren't talking about ISPs and search providers, you've moved from ignorant to stupid as you've either fundamentally misunderstood the legislation or you've commented on it without reading about it first.

Just like the legal drinking age in all 50 states, right?

...oh wait.

Beeppudnolan

THEN Y U DO DIS TO U SELF? :icon_confused:

I get a kick out of it.

Oh and Clowd, I never really believed in that whole drinking age thing

I did read it by the way.

Theres nothing intellectual about public boards so I don't have to show off my smarts

Edited by Beeppudnolan

Anyways, in an attempt to get us back on topic, this article is relating to the original COICA Act and proves (in my opinion) how dangerous these things can be.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/internet-in-san-diego/internet-censorship-bill-popular-with-democrats-and-republicans

October 30, 2010

Internet Censorship bill, The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA), was introduced in Congress just three weeks ago, made its way through Congress like lightning, getting signatures from both Democrats and Republicans and potentially threatening free and open access to huge chunks of the Internet to United States citizens.

Outrage and backlash has been swift in forthcoming, with citizens of the U.S. quickly taking to their keyboards in writing to their state Senators and have managed to temporarily put the Bill on hold until after the November elections.

They're all for it. We're the only ones stopping them.

We're certainly governed by a pro-business government now.

Edited by Clowd

It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

I shall quote this and never forget it.

:jaymonkey9ra:

Please be a troll.