Tips for returning PVMer

Trip

I did a lot of bossing pre-eoc and very little since prif's release. New potions all sorts of new gear and invention enhancements are hard to follow being and old schooler. I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations for how to make those combo potions and what gear is good for ranged/magic these days. I'm familiar with nox and drygores that's about it. I want to get into raids at some point but I'm an idiot with this new content.

Im not sure if only the gorajo dg guy gives out the cards or if the one at daemonheim does aswell. If your 95dg id go there daily to get a card to hopefully get a consistent yak card, which automatically gives you one of the combination potion unlocks.

As far as they go the supreme ovl and replenishment potion aswell as the super prayer renewal are easily the best three id say.

Tagging, because im on mobile at work atm and he is a living rs wiki

@Veggie

14 minutes ago, Deathcon4111 said:

Im not sure if only the gorajo dg guy gives out the cards or if the one at daemonheim does aswell. If your 95dg id go there daily to get a card to hopefully get a consistent yak card, which automatically gives you one of the combination potion unlocks.

As far as they go the supreme ovl and replenishment potion aswell as the super prayer renewal are easily the best three id say.

Tagging, because im on mobile at work atm and he is a living rs wiki

@Veggie

Will definitely start doing that, thank you :)

2 hours ago, Trip said:

I did a lot of bossing pre-eoc and very little since prif's release. New potions all sorts of new gear and invention enhancements are hard to follow being and old schooler. I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations for how to make those combo potions and what gear is good for ranged/magic these days. I'm familiar with nox and drygores that's about it. I want to get into raids at some point but I'm an idiot with this new content.

Find me on TS and I'll overwhelm you. 

Since it was specifically mentioned, for combination potions, you don't have to find the unreadable page for Holy Overload or Supreme Overload, nor Replenishment Potion. Just have to buy it in the shop in Meilyr district, then you can make them. Holy Overloads are cheap, Supreme Overload gives you 2 extra levels for a bit of extra money, it's a relatively cheap expense to increase your damage output compared to other ways to increase your damage, worth it for bossing, Holy Overload is okay for slayer.

For weapons, you'll eventually want to have Ascension crossbows (could do Noxious Longbow but that's more expensive and ascensions are usually better), Noxious Staff, and a Noxious Scythe. Those are somewhat expensive, cheaper alternatives are Shadow Glaives, Dragon Rider Lance, and with magic it's a bit more complicated. Wand of the Cywir Elders (+ Virtus Book offhand) can be good, but only if you're someone who activates all/most of your basic abilities (full manual, regardless of whether you have the revolution mode turned off or not), because the bread-and-butter ability for dual wield magic is bad unless you cancel it early by casting the next ability. For a staff, though, you could go with Superior Zuriel's Staff*, Staff of Darkness, Attuned Crystal Staff, Chaotic Staff, or Armadyl Battlestaff (best to worst).

For armor, at least the body/legs, Malevolent* is good. Magic you could do Tectonic* (expensive), Superior Zuriel's*, or Virtus. For range, Sirenic* (expensive), Superior Morrigan's*, or Pernix. Boots, Torva/Virtus/Pernix if you don't expect to die at all, Bandos/Subjugation/Armadyl. Gloves, Deathtouch Bracelet or dominion tower gloves (goliath/spellcaster/swift) are good, Bandos/Subjugation/Armadyl otherwise. For necklace slot, Amulet of Souls works good everywhere, Reaper Necklace works good some places. Ring, Asylum Surgeon's Ring, there is no real alternative, Ring of Death if you don't want to put 30 minutes into getting Asylum Surgeon's Ring (60 minutes if you haven't done Broken Home quest in the first place) - side note, you bring Ring of Vigour everywhere for switching to for using ultimates, but you don't have that equipped all the time. Helmets, Malevolent, Tectonic, and Sirenic are good, you could use Anima Core of Zaros/Seren/Zamorak as an alternative (higher death reclaim cost, but don't degrade in a gravestone), or Bandos/Subjugation/Armadyl work fine too. Cape, Completionist > Max > Fight Kiln capes, could use Ava's Alterter for ranged or god cape (Mage Arena) for magic.

* Bolded items you need to complete a step or two before using the gear or else you might end up wasting millions of GP, ask someone before buying or equipping these items

As for ability usage, which is absolutely the biggest contribution to DPS output other than your weapon, there's a lot of information so I'm going to be lazy and post links to videos about that, as well as a few other topics.

Melee abilities

Magic abilities

Range abilities

General combat knowledge

Ability orders

Stun + Piercing Shot/Wrack

T90 versus T80 armor difference/cost

Combat aura information

Invention perks

3 hours ago, Veggie said:

Since it was specifically mentioned, for combination potions, you don't have to find the unreadable page for Holy Overload or Supreme Overload, nor Replenishment Potion. Just have to buy it in the shop in Meilyr district, then you can make them. Holy Overloads are cheap, Supreme Overload gives you 2 extra levels for a bit of extra money, it's a relatively cheap expense to increase your damage output compared to other ways to increase your damage, worth it for bossing, Holy Overload is okay for slayer.

For weapons, you'll eventually want to have Ascension crossbows (could do Noxious Longbow but that's more expensive and ascensions are usually better), Noxious Staff, and a Noxious Scythe. Those are somewhat expensive, cheaper alternatives are Shadow Glaives, Dragon Rider Lance, and with magic it's a bit more complicated. Wand of the Cywir Elders (+ Virtus Book offhand) can be good, but only if you're someone who activates all/most of your basic abilities (full manual, regardless of whether you have the revolution mode turned off or not), because the bread-and-butter ability for dual wield magic is bad unless you cancel it early by casting the next ability. For a staff, though, you could go with Superior Zuriel's Staff*, Staff of Darkness, Attuned Crystal Staff, Chaotic Staff, or Armadyl Battlestaff (best to worst).

For armor, at least the body/legs, Malevolent* is good. Magic you could do Tectonic* (expensive), Superior Zuriel's*, or Virtus. For range, Sirenic* (expensive), Superior Morrigan's*, or Pernix. Boots, Torva/Virtus/Pernix if you don't expect to die at all, Bandos/Subjugation/Armadyl. Gloves, Deathtouch Bracelet or dominion tower gloves (goliath/spellcaster/swift) are good, Bandos/Subjugation/Armadyl otherwise. For necklace slot, Amulet of Souls works good everywhere, Reaper Necklace works good some places. Ring, Asylum Surgeon's Ring, there is no real alternative, Ring of Death if you don't want to put 30 minutes into getting Asylum Surgeon's Ring (60 minutes if you haven't done Broken Home quest in the first place) - side note, you bring Ring of Vigour everywhere for switching to for using ultimates, but you don't have that equipped all the time. Helmets, Malevolent, Tectonic, and Sirenic are good, you could use Anima Core of Zaros/Seren/Zamorak as an alternative (higher death reclaim cost, but don't degrade in a gravestone), or Bandos/Subjugation/Armadyl work fine too. Cape, Completionist > Max > Fight Kiln capes, could use Ava's Alterter for ranged or god cape (Mage Arena) for magic.

* Bolded items you need to complete a step or two before using the gear or else you might end up wasting millions of GP, ask someone before buying or equipping these items

As for ability usage, which is absolutely the biggest contribution to DPS output other than your weapon, there's a lot of information so I'm going to be lazy and post links to videos about that, as well as a few other topics.

Melee abilities

Magic abilities

Range abilities

General combat knowledge

Ability orders

Combat aura information

Invention perks

Dang this is helpful thanks for that veggie 

14 hours ago, Veggie said:

Your entire post was highly informative, but this link made my day, week, month and year. I've been avoiding perking out my gear because I didn't know how to get the best, or second best perks, this fixed that fear.  Thanks Veggie :D

14 hours ago, Veggie said:

Melee abilities

Magic abilities

Range abilities

General combat knowledge

Ability orders

Combat aura information

Invention perks

This should almost be a thread of its own,  I know a lot of people struggling to get back into it. This was extremely helpful and I'm gonna dive into it tonight after work. So much of what I was looking for and more,  I appreciate it man :)

2 minutes ago, Trip said:

This should almost be a thread of its own,  I know a lot of people struggling to get back into it. This was extremely helpful and I'm gonna dive into it tonight after work. So much of what I was looking for and more,  I appreciate it man :)