Nex AoD Day1 "guide"

Overvoltage

since we have an event later, I figure someone should make one of these, so:

(this information might not be 100% accurate and is subject to change)

(This is geared towards teaching people how to dps. There needs to be ~1.5-2 dedicated tanks as well)

this is the gear I've been using for magic:

gear.png

should probably have dominion tower gloves but I don't feel like doing more DT

I should also be using a scrimshaw but eh

Also I have a ring of kinship in my preset now lol

Been using a nihil so far today, but a yak for learning or tanking is probably a good idea

First off, the arena is grouped into 4 quadrants, these quadrants are important

aodarena.png

The fight is grouped into 3 phases, each phase has a set of special attacks. You'll be praying magic for most (85%+) of the kill.

first phase:

Nex will summon icicles along the middle lines separating the quadrants into clear segments. She'll face one of the quadrants and unleash powerful magic attacks to anyone standing in it (the elements, they call to me!). To the other three quadrants she'll spawn a blood reaver. If you're in a quadrant with a reaver, kill it. It can be stunned (and stun locked), and if it reaches the middle, nex gains a ton of health.

If you're in the quadrant she's facing - try to run into a different one before the walls go up, if you can't get out use reflect / debilitate to reduce the damage you're about to take and eat. and eat and eat and eat.

I would recommend standing on the barrier between quadrants because it's easier to change quadrants, and you won't be hit by the AoE damage from the minion crystals spawning (more on that below).

There are also "red bombs (not the vorago ones)" that affect everyone; a cylinder of red light descends on everyone (like a reverse teleport animation) and drops a bomb at their feet. If you stand on a spot with a bomb, you take ~3.7k per tic. You get three of these in a row. If you just move one tile away between attacks (assuming you're using full manual or revo+ability queuing)  and don't stand on other people's bombs, you'll be fine. Theses bombs take a really long time to go away

second phase:

"Not just I have mastered the elements. Feel the wrath of those who have bent it to their bidding"

crystals.png

Nex drops four crystals along the center that each have 40k LP and an adrenaline bar that's draining. Don't stand near these or you'll be hit for 2-3k damage, standing on the dividing lines is fine. Once the crystal is killed (or once it runs out of adrenaline), the respective minion will spawn (fumas, umbra, cruor, glacies). The minion will be weaker if the crystal is killed faster, and it's recommended to kill the south east minion first.

Once the minions have spawned, we can either (as a team):

1) pair up two people per minion and trade provoke + devotion

or

2) drag the minions into the center and kill them all (and damage nex) with dragon breath / bombardment / mechanized chins

for #2, if you're dragging the minion, stand on the thick line opposite where your crystal spawned

We should try to pay attention to the order the minions die, as that affects which crystals become active in the next phase. If we kill the shadow minion first, it makes a later phase easier.

At ~1.3m LP (which is often in phase 2), she gains a "gathering smoke" attack in which two people will receive a message that nex is sending smoke their way from the north or from the east. This smoke is functionally identical vindicata's dragonbreath attack, and travels East/West and North/South (depending on which direction you were given). Just run towards the corners a bit and then get out of the smoke when it appears

Phase 3:

"Even I cannot contain the elements, lets see if you can!"
Nex summons a cloud of smoke with a pillar in the middle of it (direction is posted in the chatbox)

smokebomb.png

Once someone clicks the pillar, everyone standing in the smoke shares a 14k damage hit. If you click on the pillar to run into it, you will take 14k damage and kill yourself unless someone else is already standing there too. So much like the jellies at yakamaru, we need people to stand in the purple mist, and then someone can click the pillar. I can't stress this enough though, please click on the ground to run over there. Alternatively, we can ignore it and everyone takes 2-4k damage.

She will occasionally freeze someone in a pillar of ice. You get a notification before this happens if its happening to you. If you get such a notification, please say something in chat (e.g.: "ice"). Everyone around you gets hit for 2.5k-5k typeless damage (depending on proximity) and then you become an ice crystal with 100k LP that we have to attack to free you. With 8+ people, we get multiple pillar of ice targets.

There are crystals in the corners of the room, in this phase these become active. They become active in the same order the minions were killed in phase 2, and while they haven't been killed, Nex has the special attacks from the GWD1 nex fight. For the rest of the fight, these effects are active until the pillar is killed

If the tank pulls nex away from the pillar we're currently killing, we can freely soul split these.

cornercrystals.png

Smoke: You gain a "powerful virus" which will spread to players standing around you. This virus has an effect opposite of an overload. This can turn into a powerful bleed effect (2k+) which you can use freedom to escape from. Otherwise it'll probably kill you.

Shadow: Rapid shadows appear under your feet. Keep moving, don't stand on other people's shadows

Blood: Nex heals a bit with every aoe hit, these hits drain your prayer a bit. It's pretty negligible.

Ice: You get stunned a lot. Anticipation is great here.

AT THE SAME TIME as this point in the phase, nex also has an insta-kill attack. If you're selected to be killed, you'll gain a third bar under your adrenaline bar. Before it's full, you need to stand in the center of the room or you'll die (the inner circle, not the exact center).

thirdbar.png

After the bar is full, it will reset and begin climbing again. You want to move to an area where nobody is standing because you're about to ejaculate all over the floor. Once the bar fills up again you'll lay a 3x3 bomb that damages anyone near it for 3k per tic

bombs.png

(the things on the west and east of the picture are bombs)

This series of insta-kill attack + bomb spew will continue for the remainder of the fight. If you stand in the center once your insta-kill attack is over and lay a bomb in the center area, you'll kill everyone who gets selected after you, so please move out of the way.

When nex is dead, the loot appears in the center of the middle cross, next to a portal that takes you straight back to the nex bank. If you die, your gravestone also appears inside the nex bank (although you'll probably be reclaiming your items from death).

Edited by Overvoltage
added content

Post is to big to snip on mobile

maybe for the pillar someone can immortality the 14k hit solo? Or i wonder if reflect/shield dome/vuln/staff of light would work to reduce the dmg.

I've been watching some streams in my free time this morning and it doesn't look too difficult. 

15 minutes ago, Cam I Am said:

I've been watching some streams in my free time this morning and it doesn't look too difficult. 

It's really doesn't. A few new mechanics to get accustomed to but all in all doest look terrible. 

44 minutes ago, Cam I Am said:

I can kind of equate yaka and nex:AOD to raid bosses in wow. Seems pretty simple once you get a feel for the mechanics. Its just reliant on other people reaching that point so the kills go smooth.

21 minutes ago, Deathcon4111 said:

I can kind of equate yaka and nex:AOD to raid bosses in wow. Seems pretty simple once you get a feel for the mechanics. Its just reliant on other people reaching that point so the kills go smooth.

That's been exactly my experience with Yakamaru. Our worst kills with the usual clan group now are significantly better than our best kills when we first started. Learning the mechanics is the hard part, and once you have experience with them you can sleep through the fight. 

Because my laptop sucks and I cant pvm without massive lag, I've never fully gotten into the pvm community. I've lagged and glitched through a few araxxi kills, have done all gwd1 bosses, some gwd2 but very little, and i never got around to attemtping to lag through Nex.

I am hoping to upgrade in the coming months though, and I'd enjoy learning some PvM. My question is, is nex1 a requirement for nex2? Will i have to find a group to teach me old content just so i can play the new content once i finally get into pvm? 

28 minutes ago, Gravwarp said:

Because my laptop sucks and I cant pvm without massive lag, I've never fully gotten into the pvm community. I've lagged and glitched through a few araxxi kills, have done all gwd1 bosses, some gwd2 but very little, and i never got around to attemtping to lag through Nex.

I am hoping to upgrade in the coming months though, and I'd enjoy learning some PvM. My question is, is nex1 a requirement for nex2? Will i have to find a group to teach me old content just so i can play the new content once i finally get into pvm? 

No you dont need nex1 to do aod

Not too shabby.  I probably died about 75% of the time, would guess that I spent about 15m in consumables and deaths, and invested 35m in better gear, but got 34m in splits, so definitely paid my costs on deaths/consumables. I'm definitely still one of the newbiest in the clan though!

4 hours ago, Gravwarp said:

My question is, is nex1 a requirement for nex2? Will i have to find a group to teach me old content just so i can play the new content once i finally get into pvm? 

Like Incite said, Nex1 isn't a requirement. It is, however, still a fun boss and highly profitable. So you may want to learn anyways. 

3 hours ago, Rafi said:

I'm definitely still one of the newbiest in the clan though!

Who gave you permission to use my role? You will be hearing from my lawyers as soon as I can get lawyers.

3 hours ago, iSpesh said:

Who gave you permission to use my role? You will be hearing from my lawyers as soon as I can get lawyers.

Your role?! You didn't even win runner up in the Rafi Award. I am the eternal newb. Your lawyers have no case. 

On 1/30/2017 at 0:35 PM, Deathcon4111 said:

I've been trying to think of what this fight was reminding me of, and it just dawned on me. Serious echos of the Lei Shen fight in Throne of Thunder. 

On 1/30/2017 at 10:35 AM, Overvoltage said:

sure, you could immort the 14k, but it's also really easy to just get 3 people to take 4.6k

and doesn't cost 100% adrenaline

this was patched, immort doesn't work anymore (Ive been told)