Dack's Araxxor Guide

Dack

Hey, I wrote and posted this when I first joined Gladz in response to someone asking for a guide. Here's my Araxxor guide. If you're familiar with the boss, please add or correct me as you read! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me for help, here or in game. This is a work in progress guide.

I'm pretty average at PvM, but I feel like I know the ins and outs of Araxxor, and I'd be happy to share what I know with you, and maybe others can chip and correct me.

General (For those completely new to the boss)
General specials throughout the fight (every 4-5 basic attacks):

Egg Spawn Bomb: Araxxor will spawn 2-3 eggs and a flaming caccoon. You must stand on these eggs in order to blow them up and take reduced damage. If you do not stand on the eggs, you will take a full 3000 HP hit, and the eggs will hatch into non-special spiders (not mirrorbacks or pulsing spiders which are explained below).

Cleave: Araxxor will do a cleave attack. It will drag you in and cause you to take a massive, typeless hit. This can be avoided by running away, and if Freedom and anticipation are used before hand, the attack will not drag you in. This special also causes your familiars to take massive damage, which can prove to be an issue if your familiar is not healed (through a summoning obelisk or renewal of pouch), but primarily affects those with lower level familiars.

Web: Araxxor will drop down and do a web. While araxxor is under this web, any damage done to araxxor will be reduced and damage will be reflected back to the player. This can prove to be deadly later on, but can also aid you in the fight (which will be explained at the bottom of this guide).

Caccoon: Araxxor spins a caccoon which entagles the player. The player must spam click to break the caccoon otherwise the player will take continuous damage (which increases over time) and die. The time in the caccoon can be signficantly reduced by using Anticipation or Freedom before the special.
Araxxor has three paths, 1 (top), 2 (middle), 3 (bottom). There will always be two paths open, and depending on the paths the mechanics will change. The web that you burn down determines which leg piece you get. During the fight, Araxxor will do specials throughout the fight every 4-5 attacks. Each path contributes a different mechanic listed below.
Top Path:

Araxxor will spawn a set of 5 minions per special throughout the fight. When burning the top path, it will reveal a narrow pathway which leads to the phase 3 area. Each spawn has a different spawn order with Araxxor (note: Araxxi's spawn order is seemingly random, this part only applies to phase 1-3 of the fight). Of the five minions spawned, one minion will always be a special minion and spawns at a certain time. The special minion will either be a mirrorback spider (white), which reflects damage done to Araxxor back to you, or a pulsing spider (orange/red), which will heal araxxor in incremements of 5,000 HP when not killed immediately. The spawn order is important to the fight and can be very helpful if you know them while learning. The other four are normal spiders that just do damage to you and chip away at your health. When you're more experienced, you can ignore these for the most part, but it's important to remember that although minions hitting you for several hundred hp at a time isn't extremely deadly, damage adds up and could cause you to consume a lot of food especially if there are 10+ of them out at a time!

A wave of spiders will be spawned one at a time when Araxxor does an animation in which mini spiders run out from under him. Each wave will spawn as follows. Special spiders are indicated with an O.
First wave: X -> X -> O -> X -> X (it is the third to spawn)
Second wave: X-> O-> X -> X -> X (it is second to spawn)
Third Wave: O-> X -> X -> X -> X (it is first to spawn)

Be sure to avoid queued attacks when you know Araxxor is going to do a special throughout the fight. Moves like Wild Magic, Hurricane, and Shadow Tendrils/Snapshot can cause you to kill yourself almost immediately if a mirrorback was to spawn!

There are a total of 20 minions that araxxor can spawn, as well as the ones that spawn with unexploded egg bombs (explained later). Any minions not dealt with in phases 1-3 can be spawned by Araxxi in phase four, which can make the fight a lot more complicated. I personally would reccommend learners to kill all the minions in phases 1-3 when learning until they are comfortable with ability rotations, prayer switching, and reactions to specials during phase 4.

Middle path:

When the middle path is burned, it will lead to an area with a pool of acid and a ramp. The objective of this path is to let Araxxor absorb the acid and let it drip onto the ramp to dissolve the obstacle at the top. To do this, run or surge to the base of the ramp. Depending on the style in which you're fighting Araxxor with, Araxxor will follow you and be in the acid. During this time, you can hover over the bar that spawns under Araxxor's health and see how much acid he has absorbed. Anytime Araxxor is not in the acid pool, it will drain. For the acid to drain successfully, Araxxor must be within 3 (? trying to recall this off the top of my head, mentors feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) tiles from the top. When acid is draining successfully, the ramp will show acidic cracks indicating that Araxxor is where he needs to be. A minimum of 50% of acid will need to drain into the ramp for the edge to collapse (100% in duos), however since Araxxor's acid will drain when running up the ramp, Araxxor should be at least 56% before you surge up to the top of the ramp. This also assumes that you keep Araxxor at the drain distance the entire time and all acid is drained successfully into the ramp.

Added specials throughout the path:

Instant Kill Kamakaze Spooder of Death:
Araxxor will do what appears to be a range attack (a brown piece of web) that will move at a different rate than his other attacks. The attack will land somewhere in narnia and cause a green puddle of acid to appear. After several moments, an acidic spider (green), will spawn and either move slow like Gary the snail taking a nice stroll through the park on a mid-summer day or charge you like Hussein Bolt on crack and will detonate when it either reaches the player or the bar above it fills. This spider has the potential to do 8-30k damage, and will likely kill you if it reaches you. Just pay attention to any attacks out of the ordinary or green pools forming on the floor. This can be easily avoided by running (or surging/escaping away) or using defensives such as Barricade or Immortality, the latter only reccommended in emergencies (such as if the ramp is about to collapse and araxxor does this special and you have nowhere to move) as it will hinder your DPS throughout the fight.

Acidic Spiders:

Araxxor will spawn the similar looking acidic spiders like the one described above that must be lured to Araxxor. Araxxor will then absorb these spiders and gain acid power which causes him to hit harder, and heal 5,000 HP. A total of 4 spawns during phase 3, each containing 25% worth of acid. If acidic spiders are not dealt with phases 1-3, Araxxi has the potential to absorb acid during phase 4. This causes her attacks to increasing in damage. However, I reccommend ignoring these, as waiting for them to spawn can take a while, and it is better to just DPS Araxxi down to <50k HP so she stops doing specials (which will be explained later).

Bottom Path:

When burning the bottom web, you will enter a pathway that is dark and leads to a blocked tunnel at the end. Spotlights will spawn, and if you are not in the spotlight you will take increasing amounts of damage which vary based on your enrage. This damage is reset when you enter a spotlight. Throughout this phase, Araxxor will summon egg spawns and make the spotlight change locations. After a certain amount of time, Araxxor will charge you. You will have to dodge this in order to damage the wall by either clicking arrows that appear on the screen or using the arrow keys on your keyboard. The arrow you click depends on which direction Araxxor's legs swing. An image guide to this can be found here: http://imgur.com/Nu3jfyA

A total of two successful charges must be done in order to break this wall down and continue the fight. Because of this, the fight when bottom path is open is considered time locked and you take unnecessary amounts of damage, which is why often times people complain about it. If you choose not to dodge and don't click any arrows at all, the wall will take full damage, but you will take 5,000 damage as well. If you click the wrong arrow then the wall is damaged only slightly and the duration of phase two gets extended.

Phase 4: Araxxor will move to the final arena, and Araxxi will jump down and suck the life essence out of Araxxor (just like my ex-wife). The final fight will then begin. This phase is the most complicated, and specials will depend on the paths open as stated above. Specials still happen every 4-5 attacks. Araxxor will no longer summon egg bombs, and acidic spiders and instakill spiders no longer spawn (Araxxi will just absorb acid). Notes: When Paths 1/3 are open, Araxxi will have a higher affinity to spawn any left over minions from phases 1-3 as her first special. When Paths 1/2 are open, it will have the affinity to absorb acid. Let this help you anticipate its first move.

Throughout phase 4, Araxxi will alternate it's attack style based off of the player's prayer. EG: If you are praying Range, Araxxi will use a mage attack (what a jerk, right?). Araxxi's attacks are hard and heavy, and often times fast so it is important to get prayer flicking down. If maging or ranging, stand in the middle between the edge of the arena and Araxxi in order to have the optimum prayer flicking time (once every 2 basic attacks) and focus on DPSing Araxxi down. If using a halberd melee weapon, stand one square away from the middle to avoid melee attacks and prayer flick every other attack. If using dual weild melee, you must stand melee distance. When in melee distance, Araxxi's attack style becomes semi-random, and if prayer flicking correctly will cycle between melee and mage attacks. To prayer flick when using DWM, camp melee prayer and flick to mage prayer when you see Araxxi's mage attack. After it hits, immediately switch back to melee prayer and repeat throughout the duration of the fight.

The first 50k hp, Araxxi will use specials as normal. After 50k HP threshold, Araxxi will no longer do special attacks, and instead will continuously do basic attacks. Each basic attack will increase her enrage, so prolonger the fight will lead her to hit harder. In solos, after Araxxi drops below 25,000 HP, she will drain 50% of your adrenaline and spawn an acid core similar, which will bounce around. If it hits you, it will stay on the square you are on until you move, causing high damage typless hits. It is important to move at this point to avoid being combo'd and killed. There are ways to mitigate worry for the core.

The easiest will probably be using a combination of the move devotion and onslaught. At around 35,000 HP, get to near 100% adrenaline and use the move Devotion. Eat and brew (which drains a total of 10% adrenaline), use an Adrenaline potion (or equivalent) and then use onslaught. Continue the onslaught until Araxxi dies and focus on prayer switching. Unless you're unlucky, this will kill Araxxi.

Advanced Tips:

When Araxxor/Araxxi webs, this is an oppurtune time to gain adrenaline and heal. Use a channeled ability such as Snipe, Sonic Wave, or Cleave/Quake and quickly switch to a shield and use Resonance. This will give you a nice heal and can help reduce food use. After that, you can use Preperation, Provoke and Storm Shard (if you have it), in order to gain more adrenaline without damaging yourself.

When doing Path 3, you can reduce your food use by stalling your adrenaline through the use of defensives that you got from phase 1. To do this, either kill a minion that spawns from the egg spawn, or wait until you see your character go out of combat and immediately use a defensive to lose a target. After this, you can freely use thresholds like devotion or reflect to reduce damage taken throughout the fight. Be sure to take advantage of resonance as well as preparation for free heals throughout phase 2!

The mobile perk helps immensely during Phase 2 when taking path 3. It reduces the cooldown of movement abilities such as Surge, and allows you to use it every time the spotlight changes, reducing the amount of time in the darkness or to get to egg spawns faster.

After the charge animation during path 3 phase 2, you can click on the minimap to move your character down the tunnel to avoid time in the darkness!

During Phase 2 when taking the top path, Araxxor's first spec will always be an egg spawn. You can take advantage of this by using damage increasing ultimates such as Death's Swiftness, Berserk, and Sunshine (or even Onslaught depending on the situation) without worrying about a mirrorback spawning or Araxxor using a web ability. This hastens the amount of time spent in phase 2. Phase 2 of Path1 has a pattern in which Araxxor does specials. First will always be an egg spawn, then a high affinity for a minion spawn, then egg spawn, and then repeat. You can use this to your advantage to help you anticipate when to get off of araxxor and kill a special spider and reduce the likeliness that you will kill yourself during the fight.

Phasing Araxxor is important in general. It is usually best to phase Araxxor (from phase 1-2) after a special. This is important for top path as you can get another 4-5 basic attacks of Araxxor to do as much damage as possible to avoid minions. It helps in other paths such as 2 and 3 to make sure you aren't cleaved immediately when moving from the ramp or tunnel.

This is a solid guide. I shall use it when I enter some people araxxor instances without their permission.

<_____<

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea why I didn't link this as a resource for my event this Sunday. :/

Fixing that now.

Also calendar link if anyone wants to try out the boss with some moral support this Sunday:

Great guide and from the sounds of it, there are a lot of mechanics that if not followed will lead to failure. I also hate mobs that spell reflect your spells.

• 1 month later...

Nice, complex guide. I just want to add it If in middle path you're in the ramp get a bit closer to araxxor cause if he use cleave you can turn around and run away from the dmg