Cross Platform Gaming

Beeppudnolan

Beeppudnolan

Something I found on runescape community, what do you think of cross platform gaming if they where able to get it done :jaymonkey9ra:

The vastly popular free MMORPG will be making its way to Nintendo systems soon according to Jagex, the development team behind the game.

Mark Gerhard, CEO of Jagex, wants to bring the game across all three major platforms. The only problem is getting Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft on board when it comes to cross platform gaming. Gerhard would preferably make the game available for free as it is on PC right now but only Sony seem to be willing for that to happen at the moment.

Those money hungry folk at Microsoft and Nintendo are apparently still reluctant to offer software free of charge yet the bigger problem is to offer cross-platform gaming.

Talking recently to Develop, Mark Gerhard spoke about how some console owners wanted to charge and the lunacy behind this.

"People get this for free. You're shooting yourself in the foot. But Sony was ahead of the game; they said they get it. They understand free. But all three said, 'okay, but we won't let our console play online with any other.'"

So it seems that, for now, Gerhard and his team of eager developers will have to wait until the console market realize that cross-platform gaming is the way forward. As has already been stated, the graphical aspects of the game do not favor one console over the other as it's a rather simple game as far as technicalities are concerned.

"I think they [Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo] will open up their platforms a bit more, liberate them a bit more. It's just a matter of time. But we're well placed to be on all devices soon so we can have a global community."

People pay for xbox live - people dont pay for psn or wii. I highly doubt runescape would be even fuctional on a console. I think its more realistic to just stick to the pc.

"I think they [Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo] will open up their platforms a bit more, liberate them a bit more. It's just a matter of time. But we're well placed to be on all devices soon so we can have a global community."

I bet he'd like to see a world government too.

horrible idea. Yeah, let's cross platform so that the next genre of systems to come out will only be one system and we won't have a choice between gaming platforms.

People may like simplicity, but they also like choices.

Runescape is not that awesome. This mofo needs to calm down.