3D TVs: bombing

Jake

I've been very anti-3D-TV since they first started pushing it. I doubt that I'll ever own one, unless 80 inch glasses-less televisions become mainstream. Otherwise, I just don't see the point.

Actually, we expect sales of 3d-tv's to increase year-over-year (that doesn't mean too much, however) as the upcoming generation of 3D tv's (that don't require glasses) should start to hit consumers this fall. Right now I'm more interested in super hi-def at the moment (in the range of 4k+ x 3k+)--a friend of mine had a prototype Toshiba device (slated for this fall or early spring, I believe) and I was struck by the clarity and detail of it. Think back to the first time you watched a 1080p video, and just multiply that experience by 4.

I'll have to see that to believe it. We're getting precariously close to the point where the human eye simply won't be able to discern a meaningful difference between higher resolutions. That's not to say that there aren't major upgrades waiting in the wings (move to OLED, etc, etc) but, in my opinion, the industry has one resolution jump left, and I don't see that jump being anywhere approaching as dramatic as the move to HD. I think that the industry would be wise to seriously consider their options before playing that card.

Edited by Joshjrn

Also the problem with HD tv is that the signal you may receive isn't in HD, so your HD tv will just display it as standard, or the best quality that the signal is.

Games on the other hand, are getting pretty good with graphics.