Mac RS Tech Question

Rafi

MacBook Pro late 2015
OS 10.14.6

The last week I have started experiencing issues where Runescape is crashing the entire computer. I've been playing the game on a Mac since RS came out (it was Mac os 9 back then, believe it or not), and while I've had the client crash once in a while, I've never seen it crash a computer, and now it's happening virtually every session. Note that this is only since the Archeology update last week. 

Description: First RS freezes, then all software on the computer freezes. Usually the mouse can still be moved, though it won't register any clicks - this makes me think it's the way the RS Client is using the processor, but I'm no expert. Eventually force restart is required. This sometimes happens immediately on opening the game client, or sometimes after several hours of play. Cannot even use force-quit as it takes down the entire system. 

I ran disk first aid and it found orphan dstream id objects, so I rebooted in recovery mode and ran disk first aid and repair there and it seemed to get rid of those issues, so I'm guessing they are unrelated since the problem has persisted. 

Anyone else with a mac experiencing this or have ideas? 

I have a mac with OS 10.14.6 as well, and I experienced this today and yesterday! 

It just goes black screen and when I turn it back on I'm greeted with the standard "mac was closed because of xyz" message. My mac is quite old, but far from ancient (it runs Mojave without problem). 

I don't know if it will be an occurring problem, but I want to follow this thread and see if there's any solutions as well :)

Edited by Malfalia

I don't know a lot about this, but I know it's super frustrating.

There are a couple things you can try. 

If you're running any third party stuff, like Alt1, disable those.

There used to be a 'safe mode' that you could go into by pushing 's' while loading the client.  Mayby that still works.

Also, a complete reinstall might help.  In Finder delete the entire runescape folder (or at least all the files) and re-download the client.

Just some ideas, again, I don't really know anything, but those are things I would try.

@Malfalia glad it's not only me, I guess.  lol.  

I also made a post on the RS forums qf code: 409-410-885-66151811

And on the guy's recommendation there put in a technical support inquiry with Jagex: https://support.runescape.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207344395-Improving-performance#

Probably wouldn't hurt for you to put in too to get their attention for a recurring issue.  

@BaconTaco 

- I don't use any 3rd party software.  

- Hadn't heard of RS safe mode, but holding S didn't do anything so if it was a thing on the mac client it's not now. 

- I was thinking of trying a complete reinstall, but am going to wait until I hear back from Jagex on that one cause it's a drag to build back up the full RS cache.