a lil heads up....

Shakazulu

full topic here:

http://forums.clanjaguar.com/index.php?showtopic=13006

Runefet was quite awesome. Talked to a few people, met a few mods, had quite a good time there and learned about some upcoming updates and ideas jagex wants to implement into the game.

Mod ash is a really cool guy, talked to him a lot outside the building before they all let us go in. He couldn't say much of anything planned for the future as he pretty much only gets he orders from Mod Mark the lead designer and goes along with it. Despite that he's very open minded and will talk with you just about anything really you want to ask him. He did admit he had no clue how to program in java though which was a bit surprising.

Managed to talk to Mod Mark for a bit and he had a few things to share. For one he's a quest addict who is really trying to get people into more quests. There is a future quest coming out fairly soon where all the interaction will be voice based. No text to read through so you'll have to listen to the dialogue to play through it. It's a new immersion technique they'll be trying from now on so better get used to it.

As a side note he especially hates pures, in fact all of jagex is pretty much against pures and they highly advise against making those accounts. He also shared some ideas on some new overpowered weapon from the gods that as it stands right now will relate to slayer and bounty hunter. Yes BH is coming back in 2012 but in a different manner. As he put it none of the 76k bullshit. His concept idea revolved around a weapon dropped by the gods for any one player that had done an insane amount of continuous slayer tasks and maybe was a feared bounty hunter(it was still in early dev stages as of yesterday). The gods would take notice of this so called player and drop him a weapon that matched his style. Should this player ever be defeated in combat by another player the weapon would morph into whatever this next player coveted at the time. Think of it as an overpowered weapon that morphs based on your combat style.

He also has intention of re updating a lot of skills, mainly smithing. As he stated jagex is NOT working on a new skill nor do they have any plans for it. They want to bring old skills back up to par with more recent ones. Focusing mainly on smithing the general idea was that, to smith rune armour you'd ow need somewhere from lvl 60-70. However there would be some new drops added into the game that would give smithers something new to aim for. If you've ever killed tds and got armour shards you'll be familiar with this method. You pick up shards and you can form them into a dragon platebody. The same concept idea applies here. Some npcs of all combat levels will start to drop bits and pieces of all runescape metals, ranging from bronze to dragon which high level smiths(according to what type of bits they are of course) can add to their armours. The idea is that pretty soon you can add bits of dragon metal to your rune armour or even your dragon armour for some extra stats increase. The bits would be degradable over time of course and the armour would be untradable until it was fully depleted. That said they're still trying to find a reasonable way of adding dragon ores or bars into the game that very high level smiths can make into these armour bits. There are no plans to let anyone simply smith dragon gear, just bits for the armour instead of having to pick them up as drops 1 by 1 from some random npc.

Lets see what else did he say...There are no real plans to ever expand the eastern lands as it stands, he'd really like to get that kudos island up and going and have it related to archeology but many other projects take precedence whenever the idea comes up. While he does think it would be a good fun content they pushed in back in favour of things like dungeoneering, while guthix sleeps, ROTM,.... and the list went on. It's in the pipeline but its not expected for at well well over another year or two. The same thing applies to the elf crystal city. Not that this is anything new but designing a crystal city is a massive job for the graphics department. Several concept ideas have been put forward but surprisingly enough they don't have anywhere near enough the amount of artists to dedicate to this. At the time when it could have gone forward all the resources were pulled to focus on dungeoneering instead and since then Mod Chris L have been shoved in way too many other projects to even be allowed to focus on elves:( I saw some of the concept art for the city but wasn't allowed to take any pictures of it:P I can say it was really amazing what they were doing but then again until Chir L kidnaps a dozen artists and locks them in a room and focuses on that city there isn't much hope of ever seeing priffindas(or however you spell it) opened. Shame really but hopefully one day Mod Mark will green light it.

I did chat for quite a while with Chris L, guy is pretty damn amazing, He's the one who developped slayer, dungeoneering, the elves, part of the waterfiends, the new temple trekking minigame and of course gwd^.^ Most of the stuff I asked was focused on the coding and the logic behind it(meaning most of you would be lost besides maybe cab and lucy:P) but he did mention a few things that are worth telling. As far as dungeoneering goes, they may have managed to tweak a few things to further decrease the lag. The guys responsible were testing it atm in full graphics settings and they seemed hopeful that it would work. Dungeons will still remain dynamically generated much to my dismay. I did ask him about doing something similar to what they did with barrows but it seems that would have some problems at the start of the dungeon in terms of loading time. It would have to be tested in the servers before any real conclusions were made but he wasn't very hopeful about it. Blame the kids who play rs and go mad after 10 seconds of waiting for a dungeon to fully load up.

Apart from that Chris L also talked a lot about runescape combat and how they plan on changing it completely over the next year. As it stands melee is the dominant style, followed by range and then mage. He showed statistics pulled from the game server itself purely based on dps. Apparently the base code for magic has barely been altered since rsc which explain a lot on how they had to cap magic over the years due to actual technical limitations. Anyway the general idea is as follows:

For starters screw pures when this comes to light. The idea will revolve around you being able to attack with any style with any weapon. They know this has drawbacks and will cause some odd scenarios but its still being looked at, hell they're just going to start really with the spreadsheets later today/tomorrow. The main idea is that aside from the new interface we'll get showing us what our opponent is weak against (npc or player) we can alter our attack style accordingly. Special attacks from weapons will be changed a lot. From that point on you'll unlock the ability to perform special attacks/combos based on your levels. The example given was that by level 90 attack you'd unlock the ability to perform a d claws or ags spec. Of course if you have the particular weapon equipped you'd get an added boost to your dps so you still have a reason to carry said weapons but the plan is toturn them into special attacks. Same would apply for for magic and the ability to entangle your opponents. Defensive manoeuvres such as that would now be tied to your defence level and be unlocked as abilities. Its way to save runes and inventory space and convince people to level up their defence skill. Another point made would be that hybrids would have to re adjust to all of this. Another part of the rework consisted in you getting your offensive bonus via your weapon and getting the according defence bonus based on your attack style. This poses a problem at places like waterfiends. You use a maul but melee them in karils/black d hide. In the future you'd be getting gang raped if using this method as by using the maul you'd instantly get crappy mage defence. Nobody at jagex really liked the idea of water fiends so we'll have to find a way around it. Either get all your crimson charms now for 99/200m summon or you'll have to start ranging them in the future. Its still a work in progress and they'll be posting more about it.

Oh right they also intend on completely redoing the damage soaking. Mod Mark really fucked up that one and said a rework is planned. Didn't give a deadline for it but hopefully Chis L will do it the way he wants it this time round. The idea of having a slayer requirement to weild new slayer drops was also thrown around btw. Again Chis L said he should have done this long ago but its too late to add that req to the whip now but good chance it will come out in the next slayer unique drops. Also expect more new tasks like ice wyrms. 99 slayers whining that they can't instantly profit and cause huge price drops in a week is pathetic and jagex really does ignore them:D

From the runescape 2012 session at the end there are a good few things that I can still tell you about:

In no real order, mostly cause I can't remember it we can expect in runescape:

The dominion tower out today if they fixed the glitches they still had. (its nothing special really, at least it wasn't for me). The rewards are only of any use inside the tower itself and the reward gloves are somewhat interesting. The melee ones beat barrows by a bit and have a better str bonus but the mage and range ones are probably not advised for any boss hunting due to their really shit defence.

Runescape Olympics in 2012 with medals and high scores.

A heavily magic based slayer dungeon with a new set of gear that is a higher upgraded version of splitbark armour.

3 new quests, one of which will require a high fm level(they didn't say what lvl it was). Pretty sure that will be the fully voice acted quest they were on about. Some mention of new reward for high level prayers was also hinted at. Another quets is likely the new tzaar quest.

A new bigger and harder version of jad. The reward is being kept a secret but they hinted that the entry requirement was a firecape. This may or may not be related to the quest. Also tzaar city is getting a graphical rework.

Player owned ports( yea yea no sailing jokes) where we'll manage the port and its captains to try and run a good business. This will bring new items into the game that are meant to be useful for the player but they didn't go into any details.

Already mentioned the new bounty hunter thing somewhere in this post but that's due for 2012.

Also there will be 2 new bosses(release dates were still unconfirmed yesterday), might be out this year or they'll make an appearance in 2012. They are the Kalphite king and the Queen black dragon.

Footage of the concept art may pop up sometime today/tomorrow over the internet but they make the kq and kbd look like real pussies:P As far as drops are concerned they didn't say anything so one can only guess but its about time dragons and kalphites got a boost up. They realised those bosses were completely desolate 99% of the time and decided to do something about it.

Oh this pretty much only concerns EC but there is a floor 61 in DG:D That is expected to come out sometime in 2012, you'll be able to play it as one of those fremnink sagas. To play the unabridged version and get the reward you' will need 120 dg. And from what people at rf are allowed to say, the big bad thing at the bottom of DG is massive, and starts with a Z. PS: it's not Zaros although there was an amusing pun about it being Zezima :whistle:

Think that is pretty much all I can share. Really wish I had the chance to talk to Mod Ben or Simon/James(guys from runeshark) but didn't manage to find them:(

This has some stuff that you'll see in the BTS for November btw and might as well be put in the Runescape news:P

PSS: armour is also getting a rework. They showed pics of bronze armour all the way to dragon. The concept art looked pretty amazing.

Runesharkvideos will be uploading the insider session as time goes by. They had a much better view from like first or second row so no real point in me uploading my soddy one.

Yea telling history of oldest clans would be highly biased and far too long of a process. They are already flooded with things to do on their own pipeline. Having 1 guy or two just go and troll the internet for history on rs clans, then make a story about it, get it developed and so on would take years, it wouldn't come out right, the clans would moan that they were portrayed unfairly,..... Not to mention a hell lot of clans would feel left out and it would cause more trouble than its worth.

That said second part of Runescape 2012 is up:

Edited by Shakazulu

Looking forward to the return of a form of the bounty hunter system. Maybe they'll re-add a world that is entirely a combat zone. I like that they are marginalizing pures. I don't like that they will be adding even more over-powered weapons into the game.

• 1 month later...

I just read it and I am glad that it was bumped. Chillax modzilla.

Anyway...the combat rework is gonna get a lot of people pissy if I understand it correctly...basically you can no longer mix and match styles? And armor will become seemingly obsolete? Huh?

• 1 month later...

hey guys - i apologize in advance for bumping this topic up but i edited into the main topic videos during the convention - seeing how some of these ideas are around the corner to being implemented

• 2 weeks later...