RS Economy and Death Costs

Deathcon

RS released a video series with the RSGuy talking about the above topics... some takeaways from this:

-Above max cash coin pouch AND GE TRADES (whatever astronomical number  2147m x 2147m , is the cap)

-1% GE tax

-Dramtically lower death costs & fix reclaim value on items (example given was MH leng sword is static reclaim while the offhand leng is based on GE value | item vs item(dyed) price differences

Id ask that you take time to listen and give opinions on what was discussed, love to hear your thoughts!

all of the things they said will fix a lot of it, so i think its a very good thing. the ge tax will bring a lot of gold out of the game so thats gonna be really good

Frankly death costs shouldn't be a thing. We already have a ton of upkeep in charges, pages, runes, bolts, etc. I'm not opposed to a GE tax as a way of removing gold from the economy, though it'd have to be minor, 1% maybe.

Edited by Afternine
9 minutes ago, Afternine said:

Frankly death costs shouldn't be a thing. We already have a ton of upkeep in charges, pages, runes, bolts, etc. I'm not opposed to a GE tax as a way of removing gold from the economy, though it'd have to be minor, 1% maybe.

it is 1% but even if it was like 2-3 it should be fine. also im not opposed to like a lot lower death cost, but i think there should be at least something there to dissuade you from dying too much

19 minutes ago, Halu said:

it is 1% but even if it was like 2-3 it should be fine. also im not opposed to like a lot lower death cost, but i think there should be at least something there to dissuade you from dying too much

The downside of dying is not getting the benefit of the kill. That alone can cost tens of millions of gp or more. 

Edited by Afternine

Thanks for the video and highlights! :)

I would prefer a scaling tax on the Grand Exchange, rising from 1% on most items up to 10% on the most outrageously expensive rares.

I agree with Mike in that death costs should not be a thing, but it would be difficult to establish an entirely new system at this point. (It's still probably worth considering alternatives, but I'm trying to be realistic about the dev time Jagex would allot to this.) Drastically reducing the current costs seems like a reasonable middle ground.

Overall, the changes you summarized seem like a great start in improving the economy on all fronts, and with regards to convenience in handling items that cost more than max cash.

I'll give the video a watch when I have time, and respond again if I have anything to add. (Not that my input would be valuable either way.) :3

Just have to look at how successful the GE tax was on oldschool. With the huge amounts of raw gp from the latest bosses this is essential and imo way overdue. 

Also max+ trades on GE is HUGE. Fuck w2

I have to say I'd love love LOVE to see max+ trades on the GE.  For the tax, honestly its something that I saw on WoW and never really minded.  You learned to work with it, and that was a higher tax than 1%.  I think this could really help.  The death cost is kind of a double edged sword, as people will be able to die more often when learning bosses (yay), but people also won't care as much with the other bosses which could cause issues with gear costs overall.

Just now, Hess said:

What ever happened to just dying and running back to your grave to get your stuff :( 

The most important part of that was taking your friends' bones to make fun of them out of respect, which you can still do. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Hess said:

What ever happened to just dying and running back to your grave to get your stuff :( 

In the video they mentioned the past with too many graves appearing making some vanish (a thing that would occur at new bosses when everyone is trying it). 

Plus I don't think going back that would work well for some. The servers themselves aren't the most trustworthy at time so I can only imagine a scenario when someone gets screwed over by a world going down/lagging out/ etc. 

4 hours ago, Tristan said:

In the video they mentioned the past with too many graves appearing making some vanish (a thing that would occur at new bosses when everyone is trying it). 

Plus I don't think going back that would work well for some. The servers themselves aren't the most trustworthy at time so I can only imagine a scenario when someone gets screwed over by a world going down/lagging out/ etc. 

I feel like this would be a pretty easy to take care of as technology has come a long way. If anything they could make it optional where you can go get your stuff or else you can get it back from Death for a fee. 

I feel like removing death costs completely wouldn't be a smart idea as they say in the video is death costs are where most of the GP leaves the game. I feel like they just need to rework gear in general so that everyone gets taxed like having all gear degrade whether or not you have it augmented. That along with the GE tax which I full support would be a great start to funnel more GP out of the game. I also think they should stop pushing gold into the game with things like TH. 

I'm am glad to hear they are allowing above max cash in your bag and on the GE. I wonder we will see ultra rare start to be sold on the GE? 

6 hours ago, Fedal said:

Just have to look at how successful the GE tax was on oldschool. With the huge amounts of raw gp from the latest bosses this is essential and imo way overdue. 

Also max+ trades on GE is HUGE. Fuck w2

I agree. Plus it can help eliminate people getting swindled by not doing the math right for spirit shards. 

I think they should start at 1% tax and increase it slowly to find the right balance that is fair but also maximizes the amount of GP removed from the game. 

8 hours ago, FatalScroll said:

If anything they could make it optional where you can go get your stuff or else you can get it back from Death for a fee.

It works like this now ##  except since everyone and their mom uses invention/degradables, nobody wants to grab their stuff from a gravestone to suffer a hefty -20% degrade to such items ( or take a chunk out of their charge pack )

feel like removing death costs completely wouldn't be a smart idea as they say in the video is death costs are where most of the GP leaves the game.

They said it would end up being 10% of what it is now, a dramatic cut which is good based on the points mentioned

-it taxes learners too much

-it taxes teams who know what theyre doing and taking alot of switches - learners get that anxious feeling of not wanting to cost their team hundreds of mills collectively.

If someone hybrids solak at a high level, their death cost is above 20m ,which is ridiculous if they want to take a learner and the learner gets them killed, atleast after this the cost would be a measly 2m.

I wonder we will see ultra rare start to be sold on the GE? 

I think the money hungry merchers will still avoid it due to the tax, 1% of 200b+ for a phat is quite a bit.

1% tax and increase it slowly

As Dani mentioned here:

13 hours ago, Lykenlova06 said:

For the tax, honestly its something that I saw on WoW and never really minded.

I'm in the same boat, WoW's Auction House cut is 5% for using your factions....if you decided to use the neutral Auction house so opposing faction could buy your items it was 15% lol.

I thought 1% was a bit small and even assumed they might go for 2.5% or 5%.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:14 AM, FatalScroll said:

I feel like this would be a pretty easy to take care of as technology has come a long way.

They dont want to spend the $ on it.... the last couple deadmans have had to deal with ddos even.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, Hess said:

Went out of style with punching your laptop screen when Verac kills you.

• 5 weeks later...