What grammar errors are the most annoying to you?

Hess

I have to say, I get rather annoyed when people don’t know the difference between “lost” “loss” or “lose”.

It’s almost as annoying as people who don’t know how to differentiate between “sale” and “sell”.

What about you?

All grammatical errors are annoying. :hmph:

Well, "annoying" might be a bit of a strong word for that; but I wouldn't even know which to select as the most irritating.

I suppose I'll list some of the common mistakes that frequently come up:

• Improper comma usage.
    • This takes so many forms, but certainly the most common are using them unnecessarily, not using them to separate clauses, and using them in place of semicolons.
  • Improper apostrophe usage.
    • I can't even with this. :lol:
    • The worst by far is when people use them in plurals of words. 
  • Mixing up homophones.
    • "They're, their, there" and "your, you're" are the worst.
    • The use of "of" instead of "have" in the phrases "could have, should have," etc. is also especially egregious.
  • Confusing "than" and "then."
    • The former represents comparison; the latter, time. This isn't even slightly difficult to remember for a native speaker.
  • Confusing "less" and "fewer,"
    • In general, "fewer" describes plural nouns (can usually be determined by "not as many"), and "less" describes singular nouns (can usually be determined by "not as much"). The exceptions are time, distance, and money, which are usually considered singular amounts rather than discrete units linguistically, hence we use "is" instead of "are" and therefore also "less" instead of "fewer" here.
  • Confusing "affect" and "effect."
    • That includes not correctly using "effect" to mean "induce change" (verb), or "affect" to refer to the psychological definition (noun).
  • "Hung" to mean "hanged."
    • As in, "Zanik hung by the branch of the elm tree, paralyzed with shock as the World Guardian was hanged by the neck until dead."
  • "Irregardless" and "alot."
    • "Irregardless," if it were an actual word, would mean "not regardless."
    • It's "a muse," not "amuse." Why does this seemingly only occur with "lot?"
    • These are not words regardless of what Merriam-Webster says or of what a lot of people might think.
  • Using "it's" instead of "its."
    • "It's" with the apostrophe is only correct when it's a contraction: that is, "it is," it was," "it has." People need to have more respect for its proper role.

I suppose I was able to choose, after all. :reporter:

Too, to, two. Its not too hard to figure out folks. There are too many times I've seen people misuse them. I realize having more than two versions of a word may be too much for people to choose one, but its just a learning process.

5 minutes ago, Sirsir said:
  • Mixing up homophones.
    • "They're, their, there" and "your, you're" are the worst.
    • The use of "of" instead of "have" in the phrases "could have, should have," etc. is also especially egregious.
  • Confusing "than" and "then."
    • The former represents comparison; the latter, time. This isn't even slightly difficult to remember for a native speaker.
  •  

5 minutes ago, Sirsir said:

Hung" to mean "hanged."

• As in, "Zanik hung by the branch of the elm tree, paralyzed with shock as the World Guardian was hanged by the neck until dead."

im not the best at grammar but holy shit, yes

also there their they're

With Spanish, improper use of subjunctive and indicative mood, especially with description using the imperfect tense. I Honestly drive myself mad with this one catching my self in the act often. Lol

2 hours ago, Hess said:

I have to say, I get rather annoyed when people don’t know the difference between “lost” “loss” or “lose”.

It’s almost as annoying as people who don’t know how to differentiate between “sale” and “sell”.

What about you?

Half the stuff you say.