Lost in Translation!

Gasti21

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great day!

Today i have a game for you i did some time ago with my coworkers, the idea is really simple guess the actual movie title from a literally translated title (Original title -> Translated title (oficial translation that changed the name) -> Literally translated title (back to english by me)). 

Avoid using google since it will kill the point of the game, if nobody can guess a title i will start puting some hints, once the official title is found i will add more to keep the game going, i will focus in Spanish translations (except the 1st one) since its my native language, if you have a different native tongue as english and you remeber a movie title that is completly different to the original, translate it back to english and we will try to guess to.

The first title is: He is a ghost! (This is an official title release at the movie theater)

7 minutes ago, Hess said:

Hmmm I’m not good at this but seems like it could be fun!  I think I just need more clarity or an example

For example there is the movie Nightmare before christmas, the official translation in latin america was "El extraño mundo de Jack" and what i give you is the literal tranlation of the oficial one, so i give you "Jack´s strange world" and from that you should try to guess the original title.

I could give you a hint like "This could be a halloween or a Christmas movie" so you can have something else to work with

54 minutes ago, ExGadris said:

what era is it from? (IE early/late 2000's 90's etc...

It was released on 1999

Wait, so.. "He is a ghost!" is what you translated from the title that was given to the movie for the Spanish-speaking audience? and we're supposed to guess what the original title of this movie is for the English-speaking audience? Am I understanding this correctly?

1 hour ago, Gasti21 said:

It was released on 1999

Well dang that shots down my original theory I was going to guess Casper the friendly ghost but that was released in 95. Gonna have to think for a bit again.

3 minutes ago, Vxus said:

Wait, so.. "He is a ghost!" is what you translated from the title that was given to the movie for the Spanish-speaking audience? and we're supposed to guess what the original title of this movie is for the English-speaking audience? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes that is correct but this one is a especial case because is the First translation (Its not from spanish)

i will say this for this movie: i cant believe they used this title to release this movie in their country!

6 minutes ago, ExGadris said:

Well dang that shots down my original theory I was going to guess Casper the friendly ghost but that was released in 95. Gonna have to think for a bit again.

Good guess but this movie in spanish has the same name 

4 minutes ago, ExGadris said:

Could it be the mummy? I think that was around then

No same as caspiroleta Its the same name

Another hint, the movie is a thriller

6 hours ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

If I’m right that title is kinda a major spoiler of the plot lmfao. Am I on the right track?

Yep you are on the right track!

8 minutes ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

Ok yeah gotta be 6th sense then

Correct, this was the official translated title used in Movie theaters on China, 

Now going back to the roginal premise, this is going to be translations from the spanish title by me

The next movie title is: "Crystal Jungle"

Hint: Its a movie from the year 1988

3 hours ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

Ok yeah gotta be 6th sense then

Beat me to it! But yeah, talk about major spoiler title. 

45 minutes ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

Gonna need a lil help on this next one

The main actor at this time still had hair!

I don't know why it would be Die Hard, but I'm guessing our baldy is Bruce Willis and I know Die Hard came out late 80s?

9 hours ago, Rafi said:

I don't know why it would be Die Hard, but I'm guessing our baldy is Bruce Willis and I know Die Hard came out late 80s?

And that is correct, i dont know why in Spain they went from Die Hard to Crystal Jungle (maybe because it is in a skycraper), in latin america the name translate to Hard to kill, that is not that different. Well done on guessing

Moving to the next movie the tittle is Vengeance

Hint > This is a movie from 2008