Types of MMORPG players

Heardread

I was reading an interesting article from 1996 about Multi-User Dungeons (MUDs). He goes into many topics, such as how to conceptualize what a MUD is, the different player types in a MUD, and the dynamics of the population of player type over time (e.g. introducing a number of killers should decrease the number of achievers). In particular, I thought it was interesting because, MUDs being precursors to MMORPGs like RuneScape, a lot of these categories still exist.  The author lists 4 types of players: Achievers, Explorers, Socializers, and Killers.

Achievers: Players give themselves game-related goals, and vigorously set out to achieve them. This usually means accumulating and disposing of large quantities of high-value treasure, or cutting a swathe through hordes of mobiles (ie. monsters built in to the virtual world).

Explorers: Players try to find out as much as they can about the virtual world. Although initially this means mapping its topology (ie. exploring the MUD's breadth), later it advances to experimentation with its physics (ie. exploring the MUD's depth).

Socializers: Players use the game's communicative facilities, and apply the role-playing that these engender, as a context in which to converse (and otherwise interact) with their fellow players.

Killers: Players use the tools provided by the game to cause distress to (or, in rare circumstances, to help) other players. Where permitted, this usually involves acquiring some weapon and applying it enthusiastically to the persona of another player in the game world.

So, which are you?

(A link to the article: https://mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm)

I tend to fall into the Explorer group, with some Achiever, but that motivation isn't as strong. Fun fact: Runescape started live as DeviousMUD, so MUDs aren't really a precursor to Runescape, that's just what it is; the last survivor like birds are to dinosaurs.

Edited by Echare
  • 1 month later...