The Witcher 2

Dan G

It's on sale on Steam right now. £12 for me so whatever that is in $ :>.

If you have the cash and many an hour to put into it, do it. It's like a mature and more in-depth Fable crossed with Skyrim. I don't think I can do it justice but it's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the longer RPGs with interesting mechanics and some outrageous graphics. It's also out on the Xbox now but it won't be so cheap.

I had such a terrible time with the original Witcher. But if you say it's good then how can I resist? :hmph:

Don't make me feel guilty if you don't like it :dan: It is difficult. I forgot to add that. I'm on normal and have died repeatedly on even the more common creatures while just traversing the land.

I haven't played the first game so can't compare.

I have bought that and the first Witcher via GOG.com, but haven't played either.

I'm playing Legend of Grimrock now, pretty cool throwback to some old dungeon crawler games.

Original Witcher had a combat system so horrendous it makes...well honestly there is no precedent for how bad the original Witcher's combat mechanics were.

That said, it's a brand new game. Hopefully combat is nothing like the first.

As I said, I haven't played the original. The combat in this one is hack & slash if you're playing on easy difficulty but if you're attempting to not get hit, it's a lot harder. Especially considering you can't riposte until you've levelled up and upgraded Geralt enough. Buffs are mandatory to succeed though, from signs or making potions.

Just read that Obama got given a copy of The Witcher 2 when he visited Poland (It's a Polish-made game and a Polish author wrote the original books). Btw play this game now, you shits.

Downloaded and tried to play the game. Game ran at 3-4 frames per second on Medium settings. Not pleased.

My computer has 16gigs of RAM, GeForce GTX 570ti fermi graphics card, and a Quad core processor running @ ~3.7Ghz

Edited by Muse

The fuck? I have 8gb RAM, GTX560, 8 core @ 3.7GHz and can run ultra. I play in high though. Have you tried using the advanced settings option before the game starts? There's a thing in there called ubersampling, it's in red, that's too much for my computer to handle. You may need to fiddle about with things.

Edited by Aurum S

It's on sale again right now for the next 8 hours on Steam. I don't know what your issue is Muse but this truly is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time.

Tried it with my graphics card set to max performance, gamebooster turned on limiting my other processes from running, and on lowest settings.

Still didn't work. Shit don't make sense, most poorly optimized game in existence?

Edited by Muse

I have a few friends who've played it with better and worse rigs than mine but not heard of any problems like yours. I assume you've tried googling your issue?

EDIT: I just did and the first few results I found were fixed by changing the resolution :dan:

Edited by Aurum S
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing first one now. Yeah, the combat system is balls-on-wall retarded. It's pretty good besides that. I also just saw the opening scene for 2, and that alone makes the game looks badass. Gonna try 2, to see if my comp can run it

Yeah, comp can barely run it. I'll try again once I get that gpu

Edited by Doc
  • 3 months later...