Computer issue

Cam L

Since the board for this is gone , I'm putting this here. Basically, as of today, every time I try to do something marginally graphics/flash intensive (play RS or even watch a video on YouTube, for example), my computer will crash. This never happened before today.

Some background info:

- This computer is kind of old, 2008-2009ish

- Dual core processor, 5 GB of RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 graphics card

- Got an error message about the CPU fan about a month ago, it's a family desktop and my dad has never gotten around to replacing it and I don't have a single clue how to do this shit :kanye:

- All I use this thing for is RS, school work, and other games (StarCraft II, BF3)

So, essentially what I'm wondering is if any of you may have an idea as to what's going on. Are my graphics drivers way the fuck out of date, or are there much deeper, more serious problems going on here? Any help/ideas are appreciated, thank you for your time :)

Sounds like a hardware error. Unplug your computers power source (unplug it from the wall), take the case "lid" off and find your fans.

Make sure they're (the fans. you should have 2-3 and one over your processor) plugged in to where they should be, which should be your power supply unit and (I'm pretty sure) motherboard. If they're not plugged in, make sure you're grounded by touching the outside of the case and plug them back into their correct areas. Make sure the fans are secure, too.

I also just re-read your post and you said CPU fan. That's called a heatsink. Mine is held down by 4 screws on each corner. Make sure they're all screwed in nice and tight, and use a screwdriver with a plastic handle.

You should also get two cans of compressed air or "duster". Clean your fans. I see your GPU has a fan, so clean that bad boy too. This will make your computer run faster, quieter, and will overall be cleaner.

5GB RAM? You're rollin' son, that's nice. Your graphics card is fine, too. Very nice card. Make sure you have the latest drivers. To make sure you do, follow instructions below

1. Click your little Windurs icon

2. Find Computer

3. Right-click that bitch

4. Click on dat hoe Properties

5. Find Device Manager. It'll be a very plain document-type thing

6. Go to Display Adapters

7. Right-click it

8. Click on Update Driver Software

9. Click "Search automatically..." Well just look at the pic below in a spoiler

10. Do the Update Driver Software for almost every thing you have there. Except for System Devices.

11. Make sure you have the latest processor drivers too

Spoiler
forcamo.png

Your comp probably shut off cause it considered itself to be a danger if a loose fan is the problem.

Edited by Doc

You got it, Doc ;) thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it works.

Doc is right about the driver being the most likely bet. If it isn't, your graphics card itself may be on the fritz.

I dunno man if he got an error about the CPU fan that has nothing to do with the graphics card. Probably a little bit of both. Oh and make sure your GPU is securely in place on your motherboard :thumbup:

If nothing recommended workes, read this:

http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/possible-motherboard-failure-217472.html

Edited by Doc

Do you mean crash as in BSoD? (blue screen of death) if so then it's most likely to do with something overheating inside of your computer. If you got a message warning you about that fan, you may want to first see if you can clean it and get it running again, and if that doesn't work then you'll need to replace it.

Google something like coretemp to give you a reading of your temps in the case... see if they get abnormally high just before the restart, if so then yes it's your fan.

Here's an update: Opened her up and cleaned her out today, and ordered a new fan. Also determined that my graphics card is shot, so I'll be ordering a new one tomorrow so all replacement parts will be here by the end of the week when I get back from Canada. Thanks for the help, everyone!