which laptop

Astraeus G

as of now i have a toshiba satellite which i sometimes enjoy havin cuz it is durable and fast.

the only thing is that it doesnt have a webcam and it has low memory (2gb) and a 250gb HDD) so ye it's low AF for a 15.6 inch laptop. i had it for 3 yrs now my parents bought it. just like they bought the acer back in 2006. both were X-mas gifts so i had no clue nor say in which laptop

but now that im going back to school i want to make the choice and the right choice.

things to consider. i will prolly wait until they release the 1s with windows 8 idk it depends

I will not buy an a macbook pro why? i wont use nearly half of the programs in it so why buy it in the 1st place.

i will not buy an acer, gateway or a lenovo. bad experiences with all 3. (acer got a virus, gateway got a virus 3 weeks after purchase. lenovo idk much bout them.

i have narrowed my list to...

1)Samsung Series 5 NP530U4B-A01US 14-Inch Ultrabook (Silver)

41U5F0ePiqL._AA300_.jpg

details-

Product Features

Intel Core i5 2467M Processor 1.6GHz

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB Hard Drive

14-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics 3000

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Hardware Platform: PC

Processor: 1.6 GHz i5-2467M

Number of Processors: 1

RAM: 4 GB

RAM Type: DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive

Size: 500 GB

Manufacturer: HDD 5400 rpm

Type: Serial ATA

Ports and Connectivity

USB Ports: 2

Cases and Expandability

Size (LWH): 13.1 inches, 0.82 inches, 9 inches

Weight: 3.94 pounds

cons- no hdmi drive lol

also would i have problems playin rs on a 14 inch screen for when i come back

2)HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Select Edition 15.6" Laptop - 2nd Generation Intel Core i5-2450m, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive, Beats Audio, 3 USB 3.0 (midnight black)

41bXyItNc1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

details-

2nd generation Intel Core i5-2450M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)

8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm), 750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive, 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Intel HD Graphics, 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)

SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support, HP TrueVision HD Webcam

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 VGA; 1 headphone-out; 1 microphone-in

cons- not used to the numbers(numberpad) being on the right side

3)Dell Inspiron i15N-1910BK 15-Inch Laptop (Black) 31dJgx7lJuL._AA300_.jpg

details-

Intel Pentium_B970 Processor 2.3GHz

4 GB DIMM RAM

500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

15-Inch Screen

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

cons- none that i kno of yet

if u are familiar with computers ur help would be much appreciated. i would ask the salesmen at the electronic sections but u cant trust them. afterall they are there to sell...

What's the point in getting a whole new laptop when you're prone to viruses?

Take care of your shit and it'll take care of you. You know how many trojans/viruses/malware/spyware/etc. I've had on my comp since I've learned to take care of it? None. There are guides right here on these forums that tell you how to take care of your computer.

Oh, and Windows 8 isn't even released yet and it's garnered a bad reputation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/26/windows-8-is-a-catastrophe-according-to-gabe-newell-valve-hedging-with-steam-on-linux/

Apparently, year of the Linux OS is coming soon with the production of games made for the OS. Oh, and I'm not saying to install Linux cause it's rather difficult, and someone who can't keep three computers safe from viruses should be nowhere near an OS with a reputation for being difficult.

And you can get a USB webcam for like $20

Edited by Doc

What's the point in getting a whole new laptop when you're prone to viruses?Take care of your shit and it'll take care of you. You know how many trojans/viruses/malware/spyware/etc. I've had on my comp since I've learned to take care of it? None. There are guides right here on these forums that tell you how to take care of your computer.

The acer and the gateway have had viruses my toshiba hasn't. i take care of it really well. it hasn't crashed 1nce but i need somethin with more memory.

also i cant get windows live essentials and itunes in it. i have tried it 1000s of times to fix it but cant. i think it's cuz its a 32 bit idk. also its a bit heavy next semester ima take more courses so i need a lighter 1. and 1 with more battery life.

Your post gave me a headache, so I'm going to leave you with this: your hardware has jack shit nothing to do with getting a virus. Seriously.

I recently bought the Hp Pavilion Dv6 recently and thus far I have no complaints I have a few slight differences than the one you were looking at since I grabbed the one with the 3rd Generation i7 processor and as well as a slightly upgraded graphics but nonetheless its pretty close from being the same thing :P

I'm not to familar with the other 2 you were looking at since I hadn't event considered those options when I was shopping around. I previously had a Dell Inspiron although it was a much older version ( 5-6 years old ) and had Vista on it XD nothing major to gripe about but I felt like it wasn't the best one out there either.

I only got a brand new one because after dropping my labtop one of the drivers was having issues and about the time I got that fixed as well as replacing the battery among one or two other small repairs it would have just been more logical to get a new one for like 300 more.

I'm far from being the best opinionated on this subject but just be sure to keep looking at things until you find something you are really happy about. If you can fix some of your current issues with the computers you have now without spending a lot that would be the best solution though :woeh:

Can get an external hard drive if space is the issue.And performance > weighthttp://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=414&name=External-Hard-DrivesYou're gonna want one that goes into whatever port you have on your laptop. Most common is USB.

considered it b4 would've got 1 if space was the only issue

I recently bought the Hp Pavilion Dv6 recently and thus far I have no complaints I have a few slight differences than the one you were looking at since I grabbed the one with the 3rd Generation i7 processor and as well as a slightly upgraded graphics but nonetheless its pretty close from being the same thing :PI'm not to familar with the other 2 you were looking at since I hadn't event considered those options when I was shopping around. I previously had a Dell Inspiron although it was a much older version ( 5-6 years old ) and had Vista on it XD nothing major to gripe about but I felt like it wasn't the best one out there either.I only got a brand new one because after dropping my labtop one of the drivers was having issues and about the time I got that fixed as well as replacing the battery among one or two other small repairs it would have just been more logical to get a new one for like 300 more.I'm far from being the best opinionated on this subject but just be sure to keep looking at things until you find something you are really happy about. If you can fix some of your current issues with the computers you have now without spending a lot that would be the best solution though :woeh:

i been leanin more towards hp lately but still not sure.

and yea we fixed the acer and it runs good now but my parents use it mostly so cant take it

You should learn to take care of a computer before ruining another one

If my parents bought me some shit and I messed it up, that'd be it. If I wanted to fix it, money would come out of my pocket.

Edited by Doc

You should learn to take care of a computer before ruining another oneIf my parents bought me some shit and I messed it up, that'd be it. If I wanted to fix it, money would come out of my pocket.

me? given the fact that i was on vacation for 2 weeks and when i came back my dad told me it had a virus and my sister's rs acc got hacked. Also i paid to fix it. thats why i dont let her use mine so my parents got her a gateway and same thing happened again only less severe and i was able to fix it w/o spendin money (she goes to these asian sites cus she talks to this asian kid who now lives in canada. apparently they met in rs, now they text each other lol) seriously tho, i take care of my stuff. i have an ipod nano from 2005 that still works like new has no cracks or dents, doesn't freeze, has the same earphones and usb cable it came in. i jus dont use it as much cuz it's only 2gb :/ so only my fave tracks are in it. another reason why i want a new laptop is cuz i want my parents to have my toshiba cuz it runs on windows 7 and the acer run on xp (from 2006). also the acer's speakers dont work on it (u have to use headphones or connect it to other speakers to get audio). after it got fixed they started using it and it hasn' t gotten any more viruses.

what do u attempt to accomplish with this? >_>

i am statin the fact that i did break my past comps like u implied in the post b4 mine.

that i did break my past comps
that i did
i did

lol ok

Edited by Doc

oops type fail LOL! not drinkin monster anymore

but on in a serious note i didn't

now lets get back on on topic

so far mostly every1 that i have asked say i should go with either the samsung or hp

here, i have gotten 1 vote for toshiba i think

Edited by Stuntin Plk