Jagex Letter on MicroTransactions

Rafi

I'm still skeptical about Jagex knowing what they're doing...But, if what MMG says it true and that they know the SoF and SGS are problematic and refuse to sell actual Weapons and Armor in game, I'm all for it.

refuse to sell actual Weapons and Armor in game

This is exactly what the Squeal of Fortune does.

It's extremely rare, so I see no point in counting it.

Anyway, I think the notice MMG posted is in relation to the general outcry and a few messages sent to his personal FB inbox and shit like that to other mods.

This is what I sent to Mark Gerhard.

Hello, Mark Gerhard.

I am a RuneScape player.

Since Insight Venture Partners refuse to answer people on the RuneScape forums and instead choose to remove the comments.

I feel it necessary to contact you regarding my concerns about your game.

I have played RuneScape all the way since the first few months of RuneScape classic in 1999, I have seen it grow, played through the RuneScape 2 beta, I've witnessed the removal of the wilderness and the first successful bot nuke.

Now, with the direction RuneScape is taking due to your Majority Share Holders, I don't think I will even see the release of the RuneScape combat evolution update.

Please, have a sit down with the C.E.O's of the companies that own shares in RuneScape and let them know how the company feels about them ruining the game that the Gower brothers have worked so hard to create and maintain.

Please, let them know that quality updates are a better way of getting people to pay real money instead of updates like the Squeal of Fortune and Solomon's General Store.

I mean, the entire RuneScape community is crying out for the removal of both of the above mentioned updates in favor of quality updates like new quests, new skill spots, new bosses that don't feel thoughtlessly slapped together.

Please, Mr.Gerhard, do this for the community we all love and grew up with and don't let them(IVP) ruin it...

This is our last hope...

Signed - Koffin Cat

It's extremely rare, so I see no point in counting it.

Anyway, I think the notice MMG posted is in relation to the general outcry and a few messages sent to his personal FB inbox and shit like that to other mods.

This is what I sent to Mark Gerhard.

Hello, Mark Gerhard.

I am a RuneScape player.

Since Insight Venture Partners refuse to answer people on the RuneScape forums and instead choose to remove the comments.

I feel it necessary to contact you regarding my concerns about your game.

I have played RuneScape all the way since the first few months of RuneScape classic in 1999, I have seen it grow, played through the RuneScape 2 beta, I've witnessed the removal of the wilderness and the first successful bot nuke.

Now, with the direction RuneScape is taking due to your Majority Share Holders, I don't think I will even see the release of the RuneScape combat evolution update.

Please, have a sit down with the C.E.O's of the companies that own shares in RuneScape and let them know how the company feels about them ruining the game that the Gower brothers have worked so hard to create and maintain.

Please, let them know that quality updates are a better way of getting people to pay real money instead of updates like the Squeal of Fortune and Solomon's General Store.

I mean, the entire RuneScape community is crying out for the removal of both of the above mentioned updates in favor of quality updates like new quests, new skill spots, new bosses that don't feel thoughtlessly slapped together.

Please, Mr.Gerhard, do this for the community we all love and grew up with and don't let them(IVP) ruin it...

This is our last hope...

Signed - Koffin Cat

That's some incredibly wishful thinking right there. IVP won't give two shits about what the players think. As long as they can make a quick buck, they're happy, even if it means bringing the game to shit.

Oh and for the record, I'd love it if that letter was taken to heart. The likelihood of that, however, is extremely slim. I'd be shocked if your letter even gets a reply.

Dear all

Mark has a follow up to your feedback which you can read below.

"Many thanks for all your feedback. Please know we are looking at it in detail.

We plan on covering as much as we can in the upcoming Livestream Q+A’s.

However there was one point that was really standing out for me, and that was the feedback on the volume of game content updates.

We have put a lot of effort in the first half of the year on new systems like Squeal of Fortunate and Solomons General Store as well as some of the big technical innovations that we highlighted above, like you I don’t think a marketing promotion should count towards a content update, and although there will continue to be regular promotions and updates on Squeal or Solomon’s store we are squarely focusing a dedicated team bringing you weekly game content and updates no matter what.

You will start to see this shift coming through over the next few weeks, and we look forward to really delivering big in this area over the second half of the year.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments,

Cheers,

Mark"

Edited by Kiwibird

Not that I read the home page news to know how often things are getting updated, but I assume one of the other reasons why it seems like so many of their updates are Squeal-based and weak is probably due to having the looming large project of Evolution of Combat update in the background that may be taking up some of their attention.

Koffin, RS classic wasn't released until 2001!

Yeah the trademarks for Runescape and Jagex were copyrighted in 1999 so it says that year all over RS, on the client, on the login screen, on the website. So people either forget when it actually started (my memory is fuzzy that far back on a number of things), or they are just lying to try to look truely veteran.

Thankfully we have the 10 year cape now to weed out the fakers.

Yeah the trademarks for Runescape and Jagex were copyrighted in 1999 so it says that year all over RS, on the client, on the login screen, on the website. So people either forget when it actually started (my memory is fuzzy that far back on a number of things), or they are just lying to try to look truely veteran.

Jagex was around with other games before Runescape. I used to play their games (not Devious Mudd or whatever the RS predecessor was) in school with my friends!

Jagex was around with other games before Runescape. I used to play their games (not Devious Mudd or whatever the RS predecessor was) in school with my friends!

Yeah they had games like online chess and stuff (other board games), as well as CyberWars, which was AWESOME, that is the game a lot of us came from ('THE' clan was formed on CWars).

DeviantMUD is the name of the pre-alpha version of Runescape. Nobody has played except for Andrew Gower himself, so anybody who tells you they did is a liar.

Devious Mudd was the Predecessor to RuneScape, Andrew Gower and his brother are the only people that have played it.

they found it unsatisfactory and completely scrapped the project and rebuild RuneScape Classic from the base data from Devious Mudd and was released in '99/'00(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

RuneScape 2 came out in either '02 or '03 in beta form and was released fully a few months after the beta started.

The worse part of all of this, is I'm considering buying the Assassin Pack. :/

Pyrolord already has it doesn't he? :lolface:

I do and with it a lot of the other cosmetic gear. I fail to see how cosmetic gear affects the community or game play so I could not care less really.