Why are my monitors randomly shutting off?

Hess

I'll be on the computer, and next thing I know, my monitors are turning off due to no signal.

I check to make sure all the wires are connected and not loose, and they are all fit and tight. When I restart the computer they all work again, however there have been a few times I had to restart my computer more than once.

Would it be a shitty graphics card?

Are you playing full screen games when it happens?

problem could be that your card is overheating and turning off. Check the fan on the card if it has one to see if it's operating or clogged up.

Edited by Damin

Are you playing full screen games when it happens?

problem could be that your card is overheating and turning off. Check the fan on the card if it has one to see if it's operating or clogged up.

thats what I figured so I turned the fan speed up a bit, but it doesnt do it when playing games, it'll do during anything.

Try updating your drivers too and download a hardware monitor to monitor the heat of the card if it goes ~70+c then it's def the problem.

Try updating your drivers too and download a hardware monitor to monitor the heat of the card if it goes ~70+c then it's def the problem.

do you have a link for the temp monitor?

I'll check for driver updates now.

It could be a mechanical part in the monitor itself. Since it has been occuring regularly, I would get it checked out. Try attaching it to another computer that has the right connections and see if does that (another desktop or laptop).

- Sf Brave.

It could be a mechanical part in the monitor itself. Since it has been occuring regularly, I would get it checked out. Try attaching it to another computer that has the right connections and see if does that (another desktop or laptop).

- Sf Brave.

The odds of it being a mechanical problem within the monitor itself are slim to none. It's multiple monitors doing the same thing, that doesn't just happen.

here is a link

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Try hooking your monitor up to the onboard card and see if it still does it, if it does then hey it's not your card, if it doesn't then hey it's your card! haha.

For your monitors do you have 2 separate cords or is it a split cord? If it's a split cord it could also be a cord issue.

If it's not the over-heating issue then I'd recommend the old fashioned way of finding the problem: Switch out each component 1 at a time to isolate the problem (assuming there are others around your house).

Try hooking your monitor up to the onboard card and see if it still does it, if it does then hey it's not your card, if it doesn't then hey it's your card! haha.

Explain this to me.

Explain this to me.

You have two video outputs on the back of your computer, the gfx card slot usually below the motherboards slots then the actual motherboards video output. Try that one connected directly to the motherboard. Only single monitor but it will help you decide if it is the gfx card or not.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have stated, it might be a GPU issue, back in 06, my bro in law had an nvidia gfx card, on a 22'' Acer, same issue, it'd turn off out of nowhere, i switched it to the onboard gpu and it didn't happen anymore, the problem solver in our case was a driver update from Nvidia. Although do read carefully and research up a bit, sometimes the latest driver, isn't the most stable. :x