How realistic is this to your area?

Hess

Plenty of it is relevant to me, being in Florida where you hear lots of different things since most people living here were not born here (neither was I), so people carry over all kinds of different ways to say things. 

Some, not all. Although I get dirty looks whenever I call it a drinking fountain instead of a bubbler.

Bubblers are for pot.

I've never heard bubbler, that was actually one of the oddest ones along with "the devil is beating his wife"

Some, not all. Although I get dirty looks whenever I call it a drinking fountain instead of a bubbler.

Bubblers are for pot.

I've never heard bubbler, that was actually one of the oddest ones along with "the devil is beating his wife"

People in Wisconsin lose their minds if you don't call it a bubbler. It's kind of funny, actually.

I've never had any idea how to pronounce 'pecan'. Generally end up quickly mumbling it and hoping for the best. 

I say Pee Can

and the Caramel one pisses me off to no extent, where I live is generally 50/50, but I say Car-a-mel, and others say car-mul

ITS GOT TWO GOD DAMN A's IN IT

Edited by Hess

Bubblers are for pot.

People in Wisconsin lose their minds if you don't call it a bubbler. It's kind of funny, actually.

I live on the border of wisconsin and Illinois, I've been up in Wisconsin hundreds of times and never heard someone call a water fountain a bubbler.

I say Pee Can

and the Caramel one pisses me off to no extent, where I live is generally 50/50, but I say Car-a-mel, and others say car-mul

ITS GOT TWO GOD DAMN A's IN IT

Those can go either way and it's okay

But people pronouncing "cray", that's just fuckin hilarious

I live on the border of wisconsin and Illinois, I've been up in Wisconsin hundreds of times and never heard someone call a water fountain a bubbler.

I've been in Wisconsin near eight thousand times and 80% of the people here call it a bubbler, and vehemently support the word.

But people pronouncing "cray", that's just fuckin hilarious
From Wikipedia:
The name "crayfish" comes from the Old French word escrevisse (Modern French écrevisse). The word has been modified to "crayfish" by association with "fish" (folk etymology). The largely American variant "crawfish" is similarly derived.
:hmph:
It's so much fun to mock people who say crayfish :chuffed:

Except that is the original word. Crawfish is the slack-jawed dialect.

Except that isn't the original word. The original word is French and the syllable in question sounds a lot more like craw than cray :kanye: