How realistic is this to your area?

Hess

The original word is French and the syllable in question sounds a lot more like craw than cray :kanye:
Really? Fuck French and the horse it rode in on.
Your mother would be so disappointed :hmph:
I can feel her rolling in her grave as we speak.
  • 2 weeks later...
prince sarek

The History of the ‘Bubbler’

It’s really quite simple. We call drinking fountains bubblers for the same reason everyone calls tissues Kleenex and inline skates Roller Blades – good branding.

The twist is that – with bubblers -  it just happened to be good regional branding.

Back in 1889, a man named Harlan Huckleby designed the very first bubbler.  I know, the name  Harlan Huckleby sounds made up, but it was 1889 and that’s what names were like.

There were certainly other types of drinking fountains in existence, but Huckleby’s design was unique. It had a spout that shot a little stream of water about an inch in the air so people could slurp it up.

The device was picked up and patented by what was then called Kohler Water Works and today is the plumbing fixture giant Kohler Company of Kohler, Wisconsin. Kohler also gave the new product its name and The Bubbler was born.

The original version was modified after several years to shoot water in an arc instead of straight up, but some of the original Bubbler designs still exist. You can find some near the Wisconsin State Capitol building in Madison.

People really liked drinking out of these newfangled faucets, and soon copycats emerged. However, those competitors needed to come up with different names because Kohler had trademarked The Bubbler. There was “The Gurgler” and “The Gusher.” But none of those names stuck in the cultural lexicon like The Bubbler did here in Wisconsin. Kohler still makes and markets The Bubbler.

For the past 125 years, we’ve been passing this Wisconsin-based tradition down through the generations. Allowing more and more young people to experience embarrassing moments when they attend college out of state.

prince sarek

^ one time a guy in my dorm asked me where the water fountain was. and i said oh the bubbler? its just around the corner,  he comes back 15 mins later saying whats a bubbler and that he got lost looking for it.