Titanfall

Memphus

The pc version of battlefield 4 is just absolutely broken, I loved bf3 so it's a darn shame that I can't play bf 4 :(

I think the internet is exaggerating the fuck out of that one. I play on the XB1, so I can't speak for PC, but all of the connection issues were fixed by like the 2nd week.

I can only imagine that it's being exaggerated by the internet, I had it in the first week, and it was unplayable so it left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'll likely get eventually, I loved bf3, and bf4 should be pretty much exactly like it.

In Titanfall related news, I complained to EA about not getting a beta key, and they gave me one this morning to try out the beta, and I was pretty blown away.  Then I went on the internet to see what people thought, and everyone was in a circle jerk about the game being ugly and the textures being bad, personally I thought it looked really good, maybe they weren't able to play it on insane settings like I was, but I switched to high to see if it was still good at 120 fps, and it was still a very nice looking game with some really cool game play elements (e.g. the double jump, wall running, smart pistol).  I was very iffy on whether I was going to get that title, but it's looking like it might be one that will make it into my library 

On the entry level GPU, the GTX 750 Ti -

Link - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149-nvidia-gtx-750-ti-unveiled-plays-titanfall-better-than-xbox-one/1100-6417813/

While the GTX 750 Ti is a midrange GPU, early benchmarks have shown excellent performance across a range of games. In GameSpot's own testing the card ran the likes of Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite at over 60fps on high settings. It also ran the beta of the new mech-based shooter Titanfall at 58fps at 1080p with 2XAA on, a feat not even accomplished by the Xbox One.

I played it on ultra 2xaa with my gtx 760 and it was amazing, just... not breaking the mold enough to make it worth my time.

I have dual 770s and I had a little bit of frame stutter during high action sequences, might just not have been optimized well for SLI yet.  I thought it was really pretty, and I liked the combat, but I don't think I can justify dropping 60 bucks on it immediately

• 3 weeks later...

THIS GAME IS TOO GOOD

I was disappointed with the "multiplayer campaign" though - I was expecting something different. Maybe make it so the campaign progresses differently based on if you win or lose a match. The way they have it set it, the results of the match mean diddly squat.

I played it on ultra 2xaa with my gtx 760 and it was amazing, just... not breaking the mold enough to make it worth my time.

I have dual 770s and I had a little bit of frame stutter during high action sequences, might just not have been optimized well for SLI yet.  I thought it was really pretty, and I liked the combat, but I don't think I can justify dropping 60 bucks on it immediately

Yeah, probably not quite optimized. It was really nice looking and good combat mechanics but yeah, 60 isn't doing it for me. Might grab it when it falls haha.

What's supposed to be so good about this game? I watched 2 min of the vid and it looked like about 1000 other shoot-em-up games I've seen.

What's supposed to be so good about this game? I watched 2 min of the vid and it looked like about 1000 other shoot-em-up games I've seen.

#1 - Microsoft's new Azure cloud servers. The game is actually run in the cloud, and your console/PC simply acts as an interface, rather than having to do any computing itself. From what I've played so far on the Xbox One, this is amazing. Like, it's pretty much flawless. Unlike Battlefield's crappy EA servers which make me curse at my TV, or Call of Duty's player-based-hosting, which makes me rip my hair out.

#2 - A revolutionary movement system. The ability to chain together wall running and double jumps to gain momentum is like nothing you have ever seen before. Everyone is flying around the map so fast, it makes hitting your target a challenge. Combine that with the great level design, and camping is 100% non-existant in this game. If you stop moving, you are dead. You need to keep moving to stay alive. It's so unique, I absolutely love it.

#3 - Balance. So far, the game is perfectly balanced. Player vs player, player vs Titan, and Titan vs Titan. It all flows together seamlessly, and nothing is "overpowered".

#4 - Simple to learn, a lifetime to master. It's a game that I can see players just getting better and better and better at, the way they chain together their parkour moves. I don't really see there being a skill cap, that you see in dummy games like Call of Duty (why is that even considered competitive?). But the simplicity of the movement in Titanfall is so fantastic. As you move about the level, you never find yourself getting caught up on anything, your character does exactly what you are fantasizing him doing. And it's simple.

More on that: crappy players can have a lot of fun and succeed, even when they are facing pros, this is due to the maps being populated with AI. If the pilots I am playing against are clearly better than me, then I make it my goal to avoid them and their Titans, and instead focus on killing the grunts to help my team out. Also, even when you lose the match, you can still feel like a "winner". You get a chance to escape on an evacuation ship, giving you some bonus points. It's small things like that which will make me keep on playing this game for years. I have never felt an urge to rage quit because of that awesome epilogue sequence.

And what video did you watch? If you got that impression, you probably watched some shitty video of some shitty Call of Duty player who has no idea how to properly play Titanfall. It's all about the parkour.

The one someone posted on this thread.

So basically, thematically it's like most other games, but gameplay wise they've improved on everything.

The one someone posted on this thread.

So basically, thematically it's like most other games, but gameplay wise they've improved on everything.

Pretty much, yeah. These are the same guys who have revolutionized the genre with their titles in the past. They aren't the ones who are regurgitating the same game over and over for an easy cash-in (that is their replacements). I had high expectations from them, and they delivered. This is the true "sequel" to COD: Modern Warfare 2 (the last game they made) in a progression-of-gameplay sense ((and note that the issues that haunted that game would have been addressed in patches had these guys not been fired the day it was launched)).

And similarly I don't expect Titanfall 2 to be a simple copy-pasta cash-in either. They'll take their time and do something great - I don't expect to see that title until 2016.

Rafi, to play devil's advocate here, it's not that much different than other FPSs.  I would go into detail but i'm not that passionate about it...so I suppose i'm not really playing devil's advocate. oh well.. but unlike Memphus I do expect it to turn into the next CoD.

Edited by Drewski