Weight Loss

Adopted Dog

HI

AM SPECKLES

I would like to lose some weight on my stomach and legs and chest and such, i'm not really worried about gaining muscle, i just need some tips or what i should do to lose weight. I'm a pro at rs, but a newb at this stuff so any insight is definitely appreciated. xoxo

I just use the weight room at school, i'm like 220 lb and 5'10" or so, thx babez

I've lost like 30lbs or so... how much do you need to lose?

I'm not really going for a goal i guess, I am just trying to lose as much as I can tbh, if i did have a goal it would be 180 for now, then 160, not sure exactly what is a good weight tbh, just wanna lose stomach fat

not an expert myself but doing sports (like ball sports or swimming) is pretty good all around, for the stomach regular exercises work best.

Like running, elliptical, biking etc?

not an expert myself but doing sports (like ball sports or swimming) is pretty good all around, for the stomach regular exercises work best.

Those are pretty good for leg training. For chest/upper body I`d recommend swimming.

Those are pretty good for leg training. For chest/upper body I`d recommend swimming.

I live in minnesota and my school doesnt have a pool :|

First:

I used to weigh +340 pounds. I'm currently 250 after recovering from an abdominal injury, but my usual "hover weight" is ~225 pounds. Anything I have to some comes specifically from experience.

• Try and track your calories for a couple of weeks. A digital food scale is cheap ($15) and there is a smartphone app called Myfitnesspal that you can use. If you don't have a smartphone, you can still use their website. Using this for +2 weeks will really help put the food you eat into perspective. As Americans, we're used to much larger portions than the rest of the world and it blew my mind when I started weighing my food portions to know exactly what I was eating. What you might consider a snack could actually be +1,000 calories. 
  • You can't spot-burn fat. I wish you could, because regardless of my weight I always seem to have a gut leftover from my obese-whale days. You have to work on losing fat all over in order to lose fat in the areas specific to your goals. The simple way to do that is to figure out what your daily maintenance calories are and try and eat slightly below that. (nothing severe. I've made the mistake of eating 800 calories per day, and all it does is weaken your immune system while your body breaks down muscle for food)
  • Work on building muscle. The more lean body mass you have, the more food you can eat without getting fatter. I'm 250 pounds, sitting at 185 pounds of lean body mass due to the heavy compound lifts I do. You don't need to go into an advanced bodybuilding split, but if you can find 30-45 minutes a day three times a week to do a beginner program like Stronglifts 5 x 5, you'll get the results you want much faster. Don't be afraid of cardio either. 
  • There are benefits of low intensity cardio (walking at a brisk pace, for example) vs high intensity cardio (running). Figure out your goals and go from there. If your #1 goal is to lose weight no matter what, create a calorie deficit by doing high intensity cardio. If your goal is to lose fat without losing much muscle mass, go for a walk for a half an hour at a pace where you are out of breath, but can still maintain a conversation if need be. Studies show this form of cardio takes energy from your fat stores vs whatever is available. 

Just take it slowly, and you'll get the results you want. And of course, look up any advice you get over the internet and verify whatever you read here. The body is a complex machine. Experiment and find what works for you. Keep me updated on your progress. :)

I'll catch myself overeating and eventually can't get full even if I eat all day. To go back to normal I have to shrink my stomach by eating less.

It'll happen slowly by eating normal portions if I'm trying to be healthy, but it's very convenient to just take some of my sisters Adderall lol.

It speeds up your metabolism and makes you not hungry. I wouldn't recommend it, it's kind of addictive. Just my method ;)

Seeing how you don't have a goal, it can actually be more easy for you that way. 

For example: When I started my job in November 2013, I weighed 170ish lbs. Now I weigh 155lbs. However there is a lot of walking around in my job so it depends on what your activities are.

I play basketball whenever I can. Which is about 3 days per week

When I don't have time for basketball, I do this (lol I found it on twitter :D ) It does help though.

Spoiler
total-abs-workout-intro.jpg

Combine that with squats, and some lifting and you could lose a reasonable amount of weight that will make you somewhat proud.

Food wise. Umm I pig out every night at work. My daily calorie intake however hardly exceeds 1.5k cals. 

Like James said, calorie counting can be a big help. I've started doing it since November.

Breakfast for me rarely exceeds the 400 calorie mark. I don't eat lunch on most days. I'm usually out from school at 1pm and when I get home I take a nap and go to work after I wake up :) . When I do, it's like another 300 cals. For dinner, I eat at work. That meal there sometimes is close to 600-700 cals. Plus, I am always chewing gum. I think my record is like 12 hours with the same piece and because it was the last one I had :/. I read somewhere that chewing gum burns like 10 calories/hour so, I chew 6 hours daily...

The only change I made to my diet is that I cut down on my intake in red meat. I don't drink soda as much either. I still hate vegetables with a passion though (carrots...onions ,,l,,).

You could try running. It's easy and burns a good amount of calories. 

The important thing is that, you burn as much calories as you can through out the day. Especially if you have a high calorie intake that exceeds 2k.

I started writing my essays for school standing up and pace back & forth as music plays just to burn more. 

good luck

I wrote this standing up too with "Radioactive" playing.

Edited by Astraeus G

Just eat right, man. Eat anything that is vegetable and fruit. Drink lots of water. You'll get some sugars from the fruit, so don't eat five bowls of cereal in one sitting. No soda. Basically, don't eat baked goods. I'm horrified to have said all of that.

Then go for a walk. Maybe a run? Stretch in the morning. Maybe do some push ups. Walk the steps instead of taking the elevator. 

That's all you need to do to stay healthy. 

Basically, don't eat baked goods. 

Well I wouldn't say "no baked goods", but it flat-out amazes me how much refined sugar and carbs Americans eat in a day. Odds are good you'd benefit from cutting down on both and upping your vegetable/lean meat intake. 

/happy to have spent my formative years with another culture's dietary standards. 

Basically, don't eat baked goods. 

Well I wouldn't say "no baked goods", but it flat-out amazes me how much refined sugar and carbs Americans eat in a day. Odds are good you'd benefit from cutting down on both and upping your vegetable/lean meat intake. 

/happy to have spent my formative years with another culture's dietary standards. 

That's why I said "basically" :hmph:. I eat so many donuts... rough when the best donut makers in America are practically right next door. 

Move to a celestial body with a weaker gravitational force than the earth. Your weight will decrease.

If you want to reduce your mass, diet, diet, diet, diet and exercise.

- Cut out fried foods, sugars, cheese, and excess carbs. Don't think you can take shortcuts by drinking diet products. Studies have shown that your body erroneously interprets these artificial sweeteners as sugars, thus it doesn't metabolize it and gets stored as fat.

- Eat lean protein, as in poultry and fish. Pork and beef can be pretty fatty, especially depending on the cut you get. Only bake or grill your protein. Don't use any fatty/oily marinades.

- Use natural sweeteners like Truvia/Stevia over sugar and artificial sweeteners.

- No cheese. Not very filling and they don't have the best ratio of nutritional value:fat.

- Minimize how much bread and pasta you eat. Unless you're doing a pretty hard workout, you're not going to burn off all of the carbs you take in from a big bread and/or pasta meal.

- Eat slow and limit your portions. Also, for your metabolism, it's better to eat 5 small meals than it is to eat 3 moderately-sized meals.

- For what you stated, high-rep weight lifting 2-3x/week. Since you're just looking to cut, high-intensity circuit training will build your strength and reduce fat. For cardio, do ~20 minutes of cardio 4-5x/week. Don't worry about how fast or how far you go. Concentrate on interval training, which will help expedite weight loss. For example, if you're running, jog for a minute, spring for 10 seconds, jog for a minute, sprint for 10 seconds, etc.

- Don't get caught up in supplements. If you maintain a healthy diet, you should get your DV of vitamins and minerals naturally. Since it sounds like you're just starting out, don't worry about preworkout supplements. Don't take diet pills unless you want to die from caffeine. I recommend one thing and that's a quality whey protein. Don't get the Muscle Milk or other premade drinks they sell in the stores, as they're pretty fatty.

Edited by FSU Zach

Stop eating fast food and start walking everywhere. Take stairs instead of elevators and escalators. Chew gum to stop yourself from snacking when you aren't actually hungry.

I live in minnesota and my school doesnt have a pool :|

Community centers do have pools might cost you like $5  to get in.

Minnesota ain't an excuse since i still see people jogging downtown when I'm at work...

Like everyone else said basically eat healthier and exercise more.

Cut out soda, alcohol and junk food (candy, fast food, carby snack food, etc). Replace with home-made food, fruits, and vegetables.<br /><br />Be more physically active.