Laptop help

Angus

I'll just start by saying my range of knowledge with computer stuff goes about as far as what a gigabyte is. 

I'm keen on buying a new laptop, but I'm not sure what I need. Pretty much all I'll be doing on it is playing rs so I want to know what the maximum I need to get it. I saw all the laptops in store had i5 or i7 processor written on them, also the Storage and a few other things. 

Do I need i7 or is i5 enough, any advice would be appreciated :)

i7 is pretty high end. i5 is sufficient for 99% of the tasks you will probably do. It really depends on the model though. There are some really crappy i5's out there. 

No idea about laptops, but a good i5 is usually sufficient for a lot of games, let alone runescape. The i5-4690K is a good one, clocks at 3.5 Ghz or so I believe. I personally like ASUS products and if their laptops are built as well as their desktop components I'd recommend that.

Edited by Bo Nir

Also keep in mind that some i5's are better than some i7's. You really need to specify which model you are looking at. I can't recommend any brand of laptops because I think most are overpriced, ESPECIALLY Alienware. I bought mine custom made. 

If all you're doing is playing RS you should get a decent but cheap PC that will fall to pieces (functionally speaking) within 2-3 years, but which will be OK because you spent so little on it.  I don't know what brands / specs to recommend cause I'm a mac user, but RS just needs some half decent graphics/memory/processing.  It's not a high intensity game unless you want to play on full screen HD all the time.  

Also keep in mind that some i5's are better than some i7's. You really need to specify which model you are looking at. I can't recommend any brand of laptops because I think most are overpriced, ESPECIALLY Alienware. I bought mine custom made. 

^

I'd get a normal laptop, not one made for gaming or high end anything.

Does it matter what Ghz or RAM or anything?

Doubt you'll need more than 4 gigs of RAM for Runescape, but the cpus Ghz is a pretty good way of knowing how good it is.

any brands you would suggest, or a price range even?
This is stuff you should be telling us. The brand name maybe not so much, but tell us what kind of money you are looking to spend.

Does it have to be a laptop?

I am definitely not a computer expert and I'm not sure if this will help you, but I bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago with the following stats:

ked6ki.jpg

It also has a 15.6" touchscreen that flips and folds and stuff but it's not detachable. It was $799 I believe and It works pretty well with RS. :thumbup: Brand-wise, the salesperson who was helping me buy this said HP's were better/ longer lasting, but I ended up picking this one—they had the same stats and price, but I thought the Toshiba looked so much better and was definitely more lightweight/ portable. Some downsides are that my built-in web cam looks a little grainy, my mic isn't the best quality, and it doesn't have an ethernet cable port. I'm still very happy with my purchase though. ^_^

Regardless of what you buy, I say look out for the little details too, like where the power button or fan is, if it has an ethernet port, how many usb ports, how the keyboard feels and if it lights up, etc. But I hope you end up with something you really like! :D

Yeh has to be a laptop.

What is a good Ghz though?

I'm not sure what would be required for Runescape, tried researching it and their requirements are vague af. High 2's or low 3's should be fine for runescape I'm guessing.

Pretty much any modern day CPU will be able to run RS okay. 4GB is pretty standard today and should be more than enough for anything you would use your laptop for (unless you are heavy into video/audio editing). Your only concern would be your GPU. You would need one of Intel's top-end integrated GPU (which is comparable to a low-end dedicated video card) or an entry level dedicated video card. It really depends on how you play. I play fullscreen (1080p) with everything turned on max. Not everyone plays that way. You would need a mid-level card in order to play at the same settings without stuttering. Good luck Angus. 

AMD Mid level card:

R9 M260X

R9 M265X

R9 M270X

Nvidia Mid level card:

GTX 750M

GTX 755M

GTX 760M

Edited by JayCutler 6
ok, got some research to do I guess.

As Shady said, you should look into the gpus. Laptops use mobile versions of their gpus for laptops, and if they go in the same order as their desktop counterparts the ones Shady suggested should be fine .-.