Sony caves

Death Angle4

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/alamo-drafthouse-team-america_n_6345156.html

Idk if any of  you have heard, but Sony decided to cancel "The Interview" because the top 5 theaters in 'Murica decided not to show the movie because of terrorist threats. However, a theater in Texas is showing Team America: World Police for free in it's place.

Thoughts? 

Personally, If The Interview is ever shown in theaters I will buy a ticket and watch it out of spite. 

Can't really put a lot of the blame on Sony. It's the larger theater chains that decided that they weren't going to show the movie on the scheduled release that caused Sony to pull it out. No point in them releasing the movie when they know it'll tank because the largest movie theaters in the country won't show it.

Those theater companies have no balls. Their caving to an empty threat, with no evidence whatsoever behind it, is just ridiculous. It almost makes me never want to go to an AMC, Regal, Carmike, or Cineplex theater again but I pretty much have to if I want to see any new movies around here.

That said, I think they'll eventually release this movie and I'll likely see it. It may be released in an electronic format, which I am also okay with.

They're damned if they do, or damned if they don't. If they don't show it, they're being pussies. If they do show it, and something happens to even one movie goer - it's the theaters and Sony who will catch all of the flack. Not the people making the threats.

They're damned if they do, or damned if they don't. If they don't show it, they're being pussies. If they do show it, and something happens to even one movie goer - it's the theaters and Sony who will catch all of the flack. Not the people making the threats.

Not really damned if they do.

They were premature in saying that they weren't going to show the movie. I understand them trying to minimize their liability and bad publicity in this sort of thing, but damn at least wait until it is confirmed that there is at least some sort of substance to the threat. The American people shouldn't have to be babied so much. They should be made aware of the threats surrounding this movie but should still be able to make the choice to go see it.

Apparently all it takes is a hacking and some threats to tear away the freedom of expression. We won't negotiate with terrorists over human lives but we'll tuck our tails between our legs and run away when it comes to dealing with "terrorists" over a comedy movie.

Not really damned if they do.

They were premature in saying that they weren't going to show the movie. I understand them trying to minimize their liability and bad publicity in this sort of thing, but damn at least wait until it is confirmed that there is at least some sort of substance to the threat. The American people shouldn't have to be babied so much. They should be made aware of the threats surrounding this movie but should still be able to make the choice to go see it.

Apparently all it takes is a hacking and some threats to tear away the freedom of expression. We won't negotiate with terrorists over human lives but we'll tuck our tails between our legs and run away when it comes to dealing with "terrorists" over a comedy movie.

All there is to it is to ditch liability. Airing a movie that ends up getting someone killed would be devastating. I agree however that people should be able to make their own choice, but I guess that's the way things are, and Sony decided to bail and minimize risk.

You don't think, especially with how much the media loves getting people riled up, that if even one person so much as stubbed their toe at one of those theaters during that movie there wouldn't be an insane media circus going on about how Sony and the theaters failed to protect their customers despite known threats? I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying I get why they're backing down. Especially since a lot of the early reviews are pretty negative regarding the movie. Risk vs reward.

Yeah I understand that as well but "it is the way it is" is a bad justification. These companies just need to man up. If 4 of 5 top theaters dropped it, I can almost guarantee that the one that didn't would get more positive publicity than negative. Unfortunately we won't have a chance to find that out. 24/7 media lives to feed off fear. They'll find something to scare you about regardless. It's almost worth it to dismiss it completely.

Yeah I understand that as well but "it is the way it is" is a bad justification. These companies just need to man up. If 4 of 5 top theaters dropped it, I can almost guarantee that the one that didn't would get more positive publicity than negative. Unfortunately we won't have a chance to find that out. 24/7 media lives to feed off fear. They'll find something to scare you about regardless. It's almost worth it to dismiss it completely.

By saying "That's the way things are", I implied that that's how society works, which you backed up when you said that media feeds off fear. And if 4 of 5 top theatres dropped it, and one didn't, and something actually happened, they'd blow up on them 20x harder than if they all aired it; "Theatre x aired a movie known to be associated with terrorist threats while every other theatre knew better!". Fear sells, it is how it is.

Bah, they should have gone through with it and let smaller theatres show it. HUGE PR behind it right now, and even though it's supposed to be a terrible movie, lots of people would go out of there way to see it, like you guys, out of spite.