Invention Information and Discussion

AmusedDragon

https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/3nrh0u/tldw_123_qa_runefest_reveals/

From the Q & A today.

Basically: majority of xp will come from using stuff you make from invention

I know some of us were starting to buy some items to horde til it came out but maybe don't buy too much.

They still said that having more cash and thus being able to buy more stuff will be an advantage so obviously having a small stockpile of items to break down is probably not a terrible idea.

I am still going to be buying a set amount of energies and some items.

Apparently level 99 will be 40mil xp and 120 will be 80mil xp for this skill.

Wiki: http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Invention

Also: This skill is stupid and will break the game.

Discuss.

Edited by AmusedDragon

Apparently level 99 will be 40mil xp and 120 will be 80mil xp for this skill.

This seems like a strange adjustment? 

LiquidSwords

I like the icon for it, though.

Where can I find that?

Idk if it's the official icon, but when I checked it out on the RS Wiki:

VcumfZ7.png

Why?

Yes, let's get some discussion. Why do you all think it will 'break the game'?

I don't disagree, considering that every update in the last three or four years has not necessarily improved the game, except maybe graphically. But from reading the Q&A, I don't see what the big deal is.

I haven't been keeping up with Invention news enough to have an opinion on game breakage, but I'm really excited by the idea of "elite skills" you can't train until reaching certain levels in other skills. Could be some really fun and creative new skills in that paradigm. 

LiquidSwords

Why?

I don't disagree, considering that every update in the last three or four years has not necessarily improved the game, except maybe graphically. But from reading the Q&A, I don't see what the big deal is.

Salt over losing max/comps, I guess? Only way I could see it breaking the game is if the dupe feature gets out of hand, but Jagex wouldn't allow that.

Why?

Salt over losing max/comps, I guess? Only way I could see it breaking the game is if the dupe feature gets out of hand, but Jagex wouldn't allow that.

It's not salt, lol. I don't mind more completionist requirements. Also the dupe feature creates untradeable items and works 50% of the time... I don't even see how that is a feature.

The reason it's gamebreaking is the fact that invention's entire point is to make weapons, tools, and training methods easier than they already are. As it stands weapons are already powerful enough to make most monsters in the game (bosses included) very easy. Why do these weapons need more attributes/perks on top of their current stats? They even plainly said in the Q&A that they would mainly focus on newer content monsters/bosses when considering balancing, and that most current content will not be looked at.

You can already 2 hit most slayer mobs and those you can't are still fairly easy to take down. Most bosses are trivial when you learn them and current weapons are pretty dang good.

It's going to break the game the same was EoC did when it was first released (I now consider EoC to be amazing, I should state) and you can expect the game to remain broken for a long time after this skill is out. A lot of batch updates and bugfixes will probably then render most of the perks and buffs the skill provides mostly useless. (See: Darklight, Sunspear, crystallization, etc)

tl;dr: We are already awesome enough, making us more awesome without balancing the current game is bad. When Jagex sees that we are too awesome they will nerf benefits so that they are barely benefits.

Why?

It's not salt, lol. I don't mind more completionist requirements. Also the dupe feature creates untradeable items and works 50% of the time... I don't even see how that is a feature.

The reason it's gamebreaking is the fact that invention's entire point is to make weapons, tools, and training methods easier than they already are. As it stands weapons are already powerful enough to make most monsters in the game (bosses included) very easy. Why do these weapons need more attributes/perks on top of their current stats? They even plainly said in the Q&A that they would mainly focus on newer content monsters/bosses when considering balancing, and that most current content will not be looked at.

You can already 2 hit most slayer mobs and those you can't are still fairly easy to take down. Most bosses are trivial when you learn them and current weapons are pretty dang good.

It's going to break the game the same was EoC did when it was first released (I now consider EoC to be amazing, I should state) and you can expect the game to remain broken for a long time after this skill is out. A lot of batch updates and bugfixes will probably then render most of the perks and buffs the skill provides mostly useless. (See: Darklight, Sunspear, crystallization, etc)

tl;dr: We are already awesome enough, making us more awesome without balancing the current game is bad. When Jagex sees that we are too awesome they will nerf benefits so that they are barely benefits.

That pretty much sums up how I was looking at it. I mean I won't quit or throw a huge tantrum about it and jagex might surprise us and not break it too much ( I Highly doubt it though cause its jagex...)

LiquidSwords

All I want is for them to combine hunter, farming, and construction so I can have a farm.

A farm extension to the POH would be sick. Buy chickens and cows, stick 'em in a pen, grow a marijuana carrot patch, etc.

Commando NDF

I think it’s important to make a distinction between broken and different. The development of the modern combat system as opposed to the old system (EOC and pre-EOC respectively) introduced a different game play mechanism. The notion that I think you’re bringing up is that not all subsystems of the game integrated perfectly into the new combat system within the initial period of the combat system release. In this regard, you’re absolutely right – EOC did not fit into many of the preexisting methods of how things were done in the past. Did EOC break the game? Not in my opinion, no.

Being content about the way things are currently done (and dismissing any additions that could change the way things are) pretty much disallows any sort of growth in the game. One thing that I believe Invention can bring to the game is variety – and a lot of it. The differences between the upper echelon weaponry up until this point are based upon combat triangle use. From that basis, they have varied the speed (for example one-handed weaponry versus two-handed weaponry), accompanied by other very minute tweaks, but I do not believe the variety of weaponry in the game is at a level that keeps things interesting.

You noted that the mechanisms of boss fights or just combat against creatures in general is trivial; that they in their own right do not require weapons with new abilities or damage. That combat is at some sort of false pinnacle of game play. It is perhaps because we have limited what our weapons can do that subsequently monsters have remained very…well, the same. With EOC we saw a degradation in the uniqueness of weapons. Some weaponry (e.g. poisoned weaponry, weaponry with retained special attacks, etc.) have stood the test of conglomeration and assimilation that EOC brought. However for the most part the unique abilities available from one weapon to another aren't that differed or varied in my opinion.

Based upon all of this, I ask: Why NOT have weapons with new abilities (inherent to the weapon, not abilities used through the use of adrenaline) and perhaps new, unique points of utilization? Why NOT be able to have, even marginally, a sense of customizability going into a fight?

It would almost appear that some fear making weaponry more “useful” or make subsequent combat “easier,” but at the same time don’t want those things removed once they are brought into the game. I'm not really sure what the intended outcome that is desired provided that is one's mindset...

If we approach updates with a precautionary perspective to the point we say don’t create this, things will absolutely stay as they are. You will strive to attain that which exists and that which everyone else has, and nothing more. Invention in its presented form opens up new avenues for game play rather than sticking to the drum-tattering monotony of that which exists today.

tl;dr:

“The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” I know it’s Runescape, but I still think the mentality aptly stands in this example. I see every reason to give Invention and other future skills of the type a shot.