invention skillcape & info

Bobby

For now.... the skillcape. 

Added Q&A From reddit. P.s. we need a way to hide stuff in spoiler tags

Credit to /u/Judgeneo, he put together a great transcript herewhich won't be seen enough. I don't get karma for this, but he will for his comment so go upvote his comments in that thread

Transcript:

Q: What are the xp/hr rates likely to be, and are we still looking at 40m xp for 99 or has it been reverted back to 13m?

A: Just over 36m for level 99. We've aimed at 100-200k XP/hour, but whether that proves to be the average or not remains to be seen.

Q: Perks with negative effects?

A: The idea is: Make lots of perks (for the Invention XP). If they come out bad, disassemble them to get some materials back; if you like them, use them to augment your gear.

Q: Roughly how long would it take to get 99/120 invention?

A: Moltare can answer this better, but it should still be around the same time most skills have taken to max at launch. I think ~200 hours to 120 Invention, but don't quote me on that.

Q: Will we gain anything else other than armour/weapon upgrades from invention? what about non-cb skillers?

A: Can confirm that skilling related perks will be along a month or two after launch, allowing you to add non-combat perks to tools.

Q: Will Invention be involved in any of the big named quests this year as a requirement?

A: Unlikely. If so it'll be a bottle quest and the requirement will be low low low.

Q: Levelling up weapons and exp

A: Any level-10 weapon will give the same Invention XP. It ought to be faster to level a higher-tier weapon, though, because it's dealing more damage more accurately.

Misc: Yes, we do have a retro skillcape ready

Misc: We are planning a handful of cosmetic items as part of a future update very soon after launch.

Q: What is the exact reason degrade to dust items cannot be augmented on release?

A: Degrade-to-dust augmentation has been postponed to allow us more time to consider the correct approach for dealing with it, considering all angles. As a rule, augmented equipment is not destroyed (should you even run out of divine charge). Applying that to degrade-to-dust gear would effectively mimic the Treasure Trail dyes at a tiny fraction of their cost, devaluing the dyes significantly. That's not the only reason, but it's a good one. (I know there's the existing repair mechanic before it hits dust, but we need to think this one through a little more.)

We just need a bit more time to better consider how this sort of gear can be augmented. I'm pretty sure achto armour can be augmented. The dyed, degrade-to-broken T90 armours won't be augmentable at launch (at least, the last I heard), but should be once degrade-to-dust has been resolved.

Q: Can you create anything tradable/GEable with invention? Can I use other people's inventions without training the skill myself?

A: Many devices are tradeable, filling the same monetary return on investment as divine sigils and so forth. They don't have an Invention requirement to use.

On the other hand, augmented weapons, and gizmos with perks in them, are untradeable, so there's your incentive to get the skill levelled yourself

Q: On a scale of Divination to Hunter, how click intensive would this skill be?

A: Slightly less than Construction.

Q: How much would you guesstimate getting level 99 / 120 / 200m xp costs?

A: Not answering this one because the economy will be doing interesting things for a while after launch... :P

Q: How many parts disassembling an item can give?

A: Up to 12 standard components, plus up to 7 rare components.

Depends on the value, nature and size of the item.

It's a bit like asking 'what items do all monsters drop?'

Q: How long you think it takes first person to achieve 99 and 120?

A: We've balanced it to be appropriate compared to other skills, but players always surprise us.

Q: What's the difference between disassembling for example adamant platebody and rune platebody? Does rune give more parts or different parts?

A: Same parts. Rune has a lower junk chance.

Q: Will we be able to augment T90 weapons on release?

A: T90 items that degrade to dust won't be augmentable at launch. So drygores, etc, will be augmentable.

Q: Do we need 90 Invention to augment T90 gear?

A: No. You can augment anything augmentable, once you've discovered how to augment equipment.

Q: How is the amount you get decided from breaking down items? the value the item is wort the GE value or something else?

A: Fundamentally, it's based on its level. The 'level' is abstracted where there isn't an existing level for us to refer to.

Q: Will there be a level 120 cape emote?

A: Yes, though it's a subtle addition.

Q: Since most of the high-alch items will rise in price, do you think this will make alching not worth it anymore?

A: Alching will still serve the purpose of converting items to coins. Shrewd players will realise that some things are worth alching and some are worth disassembling. The rise and fall of GE value will also have its impact.

Q: Since items like whips will go up because of invention, do you feel that the skill will cost too much money to get it to 99 in the future for the average player?

A: You can do it cheaply, by choosing wisely. If you want to power level, you'll sink more money into it.

Q: Since maxed players won't be able the guild for probably a month~ will there be an alternative for the boss portal that's in it for this period? (can't live without it tbh)

A: No.

You'll learn to live without it.

Q: Why won't we be able to break down useless items we cannot alch or do anything with anyway? (broad arrows, serum 207 etc)

A: Some of those you can disassemble, though they won't be worth much more than junk, because the economy is flooded with them.

Q: Will we gain anything else other than armour/weapon upgrades from invention? what about non-cb skillers?

A: There are some devices at launch that are non-combat. We're actively working on augmentable tools, but they won't be ready for launch.

Q: Will we see a return in money from the skill? (can we sell stuff) or is it just pure what you break down that's gone.

A: There will be ways to make money from the skill, in the long run. Initially a lot of people will find it is an item sink.

Q: Will you be able to revert break-downs?

A: No. Also, my nervous breakdown is inevitable.

Q: How will god aligned parts work?

A: Disassemble god-themed items for god-themed materials. Use those materials in god-themed perks.

Q: Will Invention be involved in any of the big named quests this year as a requirement?

A: None of the quests currently in development have an Invention requirement. We intend to add Invention rewards to a large proportion of our upcoming releases.

Q: When your weapons are leveled up does the tier of the weapon affect the invention experience you will recieve if you decide to break down a level 10 weapon.

Q: What happens on death? do you lose an amount on charge based on how many augmented item you had on and what pieces they were?

A: Yes. You lose about two hours worth of charge.

Q: Will the spring cleaner get a option to disassemble for invention parts?

A: The spring cleaner is the purview of the MTX team. We have made no alterations to it as part of Invention.

Q: Can you create anything tradable/GEable with invention?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use other people's inventions without training the skill myself?

A: Not at the moment

Q: Why is Dungeoneering left out again?

A: Dungeoneering inventions have been designed, but we had to cut a lot of features to meet our release date. Dungeoneering wasn't critical for launch, so didn't make the cut. There's also a narrative issue to resolve.

Q: Is there a "Dismantle X" feature so you can dismantle a load of items?

A: Oh yes

Q: Is divine energy needed to dismantle something for components? (So do I need some energy in order to take apart an Adamant Dagger?)

A: No, but it's used in manufacturing some critical devices.

Q: Can you tell us what size stacks to expect for dismantling ammo and thrown weapons for components? Do I take apart 5-10 at a time for components, or should I expect to have to take apart a stack of 50+ for components?

A: Stacks of 50 for most ammo and thrown weapons.

Q: Will we be able to augment any of our pets?

A: Not a launch feature

Q: Can you tell us what part of Invention is going to give the most xp? I know dismantling doesn't give that much

A: The best rate is from adding perks to gizmos. The best individual chunks is from siphoning XP from levelled augmented items.

Q: I've heard we'll be using divine energy to charge created devices. If that is correct, can you give us an example of the amount of energy we'll need to charge the device?

A: Manufacturing a divine charge currently costs 225 incandescent energy. (Lower-tier energy can be used, in appropriately greater quantities.) How much you need depends on the drain rate of the item.

Transcript part 2:

Q: Is it possible to achieve 120 in the first batch of release, or will it require a lot of time & money to get 120 until the next batches come out?

A: No reason why not, same as any new skill. It's not capped, just that as more things are added to the skill post-launch, there'll be faster training methods and more reasons to level the skill.

Q: Will Invention be one of the options on the assist system?

A: Nope

Q: Will old bosses like Corp Gwds etc become worth doing again cause of Invention?

A: Potentially, though not through anything we've done specifically.

Q: Will the attuned crystal armour, that can be obtained post "The Light Within", be augmentable on release? Also, did you guys remember to add a level up jingle

A: 1. I don't think so for launch. We focussed on the most-used gear first, and will add more gear as time goes on.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Mod Bond added one in

Q: How will Invention work for non-combat skillers, will there be a viable way to train it etc.

A: Yep, you can train Invention without combat. It'll hurt your bank a little more right now, though, until tool perks come along in a couple of months.

Q: Can we use 2 or more tech trees at the same time?

A: All tech trees you have access to can be taken advantage of simultaneously.

Q: How will the xp rates work with 2H vs dual wield?

A: It's all balanced by number of slots, so a 2H weapon levels twice as quick as a single 1H and just as quick as a DW pair.

Q: How will leveling Invention at lower levels work, will we use up resources at a slower rate or will the same amount of resources give less xp overall?

A: There's no level-gating to XP gains - it's a bit like Prayer in that regard. All training methods available from the get-go, putting options in players' hands. The core interactions give the same XP amounts across the skill; though, higher-level equipment offers more XP, as do rarer components/materials.

That said, it will become easier at higher levels to gain rarer materials (and less junk). Higher-level discoveries reward greater amounts of XP. So there are increases in XP/hr as you level up.

Q: Will there be a D&D for invention?

A: There's none specifically planned yet but it's an obvious narrative hook for a nice bit of D&D content eventually.

Q: What is the relationship between high alch value and the number of parts & components provided by disassembly?

A: There's no direct link between high-alch value and disassembly output.

This means there will almost certainly be some things which are most advantageous to disassemble and some which are better alched to buy disassembly fodder, at least until the invisible hand swings the values back a little.

Remember also that different /types/ of gear give different materials, so there's reasons to get a range of stuff to break down.

Q: If augmented weapons will end up doing more damage, is the damage cap going to be upped? (otherwise t90 weapons wouldn't be worth augmenting)

A: Any damage bonuses will come from perks, so it's not guaranteed. They won't be huge bonuses across the board. More subtle adjustments. We can review the damage cap if it causes a problem.

Q: How long post release will we be able to augment t90 degrade to dust gear?

A: Unknown at this time

Q: Will you need a certain level to disassemble high level gear?(i.e. God Wars, Nex Sets, Ports Sets, Raids sets, t90 Power sets)

A: No, but you will need an appropriate level to add resulting rare materials to gizmos.

Q: Will there be enough content on release to make going to 120 not a grindfest?

A: If you're planning to grind to 120 ASAP on launch, then inevitably it'll feel like a grind.

Q: Can we please get some more information regarding the non-combat side of invention. We are all really aware of the combat perks, but I would love to hear more about our Automated machines/skilling gizmo's

A: Machines are planned for a later batch, as are augmented tools.

Q: Will any Lucky items be useable with Invention?

A: No

Q: You said there would be no more 120 skills, why the change?

A: It's an elite skill. It makes it more elite.

Q: Is it 100% that all alchable items will be possible to be broken down or are there any exceptions? Also will there be any non alchable items that can be broken down?

A: There are plenty of exceptions, in both directions.

For example, you can alchemise chinchompas, but can't disassemble living things. (As much as I'd like to disassemble Ana in a barrel.)On the other hand, you can disassemble seasinger armour, which IIRC you can't alch.

Q: Can buy limits of divination energies change?

A: Mechanically they're static, but we could change from after launch if necessary.

Q: How will the xp rates work with 2H vs dual wield?

A: Off-hand weapons level up slower than main-hand weapons, and two-handed weapons level up faster. Currently they give the same XP when disassembled, per level.

Q: Will we need to have parts for both dual wield weapons?

A: Presumably you're talking about gizmos? You can only put one gizmo in a one-handed weapon, and two in a two-handed weapon.

Q: How much gear will be augmentable at Invention's release?

A: Over 150 items.

Q: How much fun have you had creating different perks and their effects?

A: Some, particularly the quirky ones, were a lot of fun to implement.

Others (particularly those number crunchers would care about the most) took much longer than anticipated.

Q: Is the level requirement on components the level required to obtain them or only the level required to use them?

A: The level required to add them to a gizmo.

Q: Will it be possible in any way to do something like adding the ability to cast polypore strike with other staves than polypore staff with Invention?

A: It is possible, although not planned, and would depend on balancing.

Q: Augmented gear xp/combat?

A: Augmented gear XP is based on combat XP, so killing goblins is a really bad way to go about it.

Q: What month is a rough eta of batch 2?

A: Ask Osbourne.

Q: Whats the ratio between the charge of pale energies and incandescent energies?

A: Approximately 10:1.

Q: Anything available f2p?

Q: Are there any plans for future monsters to drop items that disassemble into new materials, or perhaps that drop new, rare materials themselves?

A: It's something the Guardians are considering for some vampyre content. Initially, new objects are more likely to just become better sources of the launch materials. We need to add more uses/content to the launch materials before adding more.

Q: Will augmenting your gear increase the dps /stats significantly?

A: Not significantly, but enough that it's worth doing.

Q: There was talk about a pie making machine and other multi step devices but these didn't seem very useful (who with 80 plus stats really makes pies regularly). Any news on this?

A: Machines were cut for launch, but are planned for the future.

Q: Can I dissemble bank notes?

A: Yes. It's treated as a stack of that item.

Q: So if i'm not mistaking, you are saying that; lets say pernix which has a normal degrade rate of 5-10hrs, if i add gizmo to it i won't need to repair it, but only add energy to a gizmo to keep it usable?

A: You'll upgrade the pernix to an augmented pernix, and you'll add energy to your charge pack, stored on your character - which is shared by all your augmented equipment.

Q: can I dissemble broad arrows?

A: You can! They're a bit cruddy for their level but if you've got loads anyway...

Q: Will the blisterwood tech tree get a substantial development time? It sounds incredibly interesting and a good counter for those who aren't sold on the Myreque series.

A: That's only currently something we are considering (and not a tech tree at this point in time), so we have no details to share on this just yet.

Q: From the looks of things we have a dwarven steam-tech and goblin electricity-tech for this batch, as well as their aesthetic appearances for the workshop. What ever happened to the human divination-tech seen in the concept art? Does it still exist?

A: Human (divine) tech is the core tech tree, available to all from the start.

Q: How long will the grace period of no BXP, D&D xp etc. for invention be?

A: As long as it takes for the first handful of people to be done with their race to the top. We'll keep an eye on this and add external XP sources when it is appropriate.

Q: What do you recommend we dissemble for the first few levels?

A: Things that give you materials for gizmo shells might be a good thing to focus on...

Q: How long after initial release until augmentable tools?

A: I wouldn't want to give an exact date (or month?), nor would I want to say soon. All I will say is that it is currently being worked on. We don't want Invention to only be trained either via combat or like other manufacturing skills for very long. Non-combat training (and perks) is our next top priority for the skill.

Transcript part 3:

Q: Why wasn't invention as a whole pushed back until batch 2 was complete? This feels like it's going to be Dungeoneering again when many of the floors weren't accessible at launch.

A: The core mechanics of the skill are all present. We want Invention to be a living skill, acquiring new content throughout at least 2016; but you'll get the central mechanics, the main training methods and content enough to support that right from day 1.

Q: There has been some rumours of a grace-period for Max/Comp capes

A: Nope.

Q: Are there level requirements to obtain and/or use some of the rarer components? I don't want to disassemble high end gear right away if I won't be getting much out of it.

A: Yes, unique components from high-end gear have an Invention level requirement to use in making perks.

You won't lose out on getting those components if you disassemble their sources before you have the level to use them, though; drop rates of unique components are not tied to Invention level.

Q: Are there going to be skilling inventions that will offer bonuses for the other skills? E.g. an invention that works like the dwarven extractor and destroys ores but gives you experience?

A: There are some, and more are planned for the future. Your above example won't be available at launch.

Q: Do we get telepoort out of the max guild when inventions get release?

A: Yes, to the garden.

Q: Will the upgraded weapons and gear be so good that it makes PvM obsolete?

A: No doubt, certain perks will make combat slightly easier/quicker (either in specific cases or in general terms). But then, that's why we made elite Slayer mobs so hard (knowing Invention was coming) and why future mobs can then afford to be harder still, and yet others specifically tailored to certain perks (or have perk-immunities). All sorts.

Perk-balancing is going to have to be monitored, and just like anything else, rebalanced accordingly. We've already been through many rounds of balancing, but until you see a thing in situ, used en masse, or used in unexpected ways, you can't find certain underlying issues.

Q: If i wanted a weapon with 5 of the same perks? is that possible or perk creation is RNG based on materials

A: You probably wouldn't want that. Only the highest rank of any given perk you currently have equipped is counted. They do not stack if you have multiple of the same perk.

You shouldn't ever get the exact same perk within the same gizmo (gizmos hold 2 perks), but you could add two different gizmos to, say, a 2-handed weapon, in which case only the higher-ranked one's effect gets applied.

Q: Will the skill be balanced for ironman accounts? if you for example need thousands of t70 items for 99/120 that'll be almost impossible to get on ironman accounts

A: Ironmen could just choose to make a small number of gizmos and just train Invention by continually levelling them up (then using an equipment siphon to gain XP out of them). That's a cheap, slow way of training the skill.

Q: How will the current toolbelt work with invention?

A: During the Invention tutorial, a charge pack, inventor's tools and material pouch will be added to your toolbelt.

Since tools won't be augmentable at launch, tools on your toolbelt aren't a consideration at this time.

Q: When levelling up augmented combat items, have you ensured that xp gain abuse via tagging is not possible?

A: It's no more of an issue than you currently have for combat experience.

Q: Will we be able to augment hybrid items on release?

Q: Are the possible perks from a material constant, or is it random each try (I'm not talking about what you get, but what is listed as possible before you create)?

A: The possible perks are constant. The perk you get from that list is random(ish).

Q: Will we be able to name our augmented weapons

A: No

Q: Silverlight/Darklight?

A: Darklight (aka Rowleybane) is neither augmentable nor disassemble-able (at least not at launch).

Q: Will TH Weapons be augmentable? Such as Incamdo Pistols, Serpentine wands etc.

Q: Will we see max (the npc) train invention skill ? Like how max train divintion to get his max cape back?.

A: We added a token disassembly element to Max's routine. That's more than time allowed.

Q: I know it was once said that dyed weapons arent augmentable on release. is this still the case?

A: This is still the case.

added retro skillcape confirmation

bVpoiEd.png

hijacked some important info from reddit for invention

2KDBrwu.png

kVV9uYY.png

I slowed the Invention stream down and managed to put together screencaps of Invention materials and the in game items required to make the materials. This isn't all the materials, they didn't show common ones or rare ones (these are just uncommon ones). I'm sure this is still useful info though! http://i.imgur.com/uJfySgH.png

__

Subtle components

These might be good for something underhanded

Disassembly sources: Defenders, scimitars, whips

__

Living components

It's alive. Alive!

Disassembly sources: Food, herbs, seeds, logs, hides

__

Strong components

This ought to be useful if you need something tough

Disassembly sources: Melee armour, shields, hatchets, two-handed swords, warhammers, mauls, shieldbows.

__

Pious compoents

The quality of faith, carefully isolated

Disassembly sources: Bones, ashes.

__

Powerful components

An amount of raw power taken from the thing taht contained it

Disassembly sources: Staves, magic/hybrid armour, Summoning pouches and scrolls, runes.

__

Swift components

Always in motion, even when at rest

Disassembly sources: Claws, knives, thrown weapons

__

Evasive components

The quality of evasiveness, carefully isolated

Disassembly sources: Ranged armour, hybrid armour.

__

Light components

Materials that lack weight, and seem to faintly glow

Disassembly sources: Gems, daggers

__

Precious components

A quantum of value, stored as a material

Disassembly sources: Jewellery, gems

__

Protective components

The quality of protection, carefully isolated

Disassembly sources: Armour and shields.

__

Sharp components

The quality of sharpness, carefully isolated

Disassembly sources: Slashing weapons, thrown weapons

__

Variable components

It's not quite certain what these do, but they probably do something

Disassembly sources: Miscellaneous

__

Crystal parts (this is the only common one shown, all above are uncommon)

An orderly structure, good for focus or timing

Disassembly sources: Harmonic dust, non-attuned crystal items

invention xp table?

bwWOwrU.png

Edited by Bobby

I really hate blue + yellow as a colour scheme. |:  

But fuck it, I'll just be maxing this skill in order to wear my max cape again. 

A lot of people complain that it looks like the fishing cape, but it's not as bad as the similarities between rc/summ/pray imo. I like it, personally.

1 minute ago, LiquidSwords said:

A lot of people complain that it looks like the fishing cape

I'm not seeing this at all. The colours are far more vibrant. 

Well the cape could have been worse somewhere on reddit someone pointed out the original design  had it looking very similar to the crafting cape.

Honestly doesn't look that bad though.

I believe that the majority of scapers use the old style skill capes because that's what I see most often. Is jagex going to make an old-style cape even though it never existed? If not, I really can't see myself ever wearing this after 99 invention.

6 minutes ago, Pzs said:

I believe that the majority of scapers use the old style skill capes because that's what I see most often. Is jagex going to make an old-style cape even though it never existed? If not, I really can't see myself ever wearing this after 99 invention.

ummm it goes max cape >120 cape >naked. no 99 capes are worth wearing anymore :P

As others have said, the colors aren't my favorite but Blue & Gold are actually really popular school colors and you see a lot of pro sports teams with it. So I'm sure it will please a lot of people. Personally I've never liked the look of Skillcapes, not even the new design (it's even worse). I'm the type that prefers function over form, so I usually wear a Tzhaar Cape for the highest damage bonus and my Ardy cape when skilling (for farming patch tele). Eventually I'd like to get a Max Cape & Master Quest Cape but I'm a long way off on both of those.

19 hours ago, Pzs said:

There won't be one at the start, but they're open to creating one. 

On 1/15/2016 at 7:00 AM, Beric (Ironeyes) said:

I need a skill with a really sexy navy blue cape. 

Navy blue with a nice brown is probably my favourite colour duo.