Tipping

Emeraldwpn

I tip when I go out to eat simply because they expect it (Which is annoying and quite rude, really). When I order food in I just give them a bit too much and say to keep the change.

I thought this thread was going to be about cow tipping :dan:

I always tip, and I never do it based on percentage.

If I go out with me and my friends, and we get half price happy hour food, and the bill is $15 rather than $40, I don't do 18% of the 15, I just leave $5 or w/e. Its all about the service. If they suck, I'll leave less, if they are good, I'll leave more.

For pizza and stuff, if they deliver, I'll tip like $3 or whatever.

Waiters and Waitresses make like $2.50 an hour, you gotta tip them, if you don't its pretty fucked up.

Edit: there was a time or 2 where I only tipped like $2 for eating out because the waiter never came back to break my $20, so I figured if he didnt care enough then I didn't care enough to wait, so I just left.

Edited by Glad2BeHess

If I go out with me and my friends, and we get half price happy hour food, and the bill is $15 rather than $40, I don't do 18% of the 15, I just leave $5 or w/e. Its all about the service. If they suck, I'll leave less, if they are good, I'll leave more.

Waiters and Waitresses make like $2.50 an hour, you gotta tip them, if you don't its pretty fucked up.

Edit: there was a time or 2 where I only tipped like $2 for eating out because the waiter never came back to break my $20, so I figured if he didnt care enough then I didn't care enough to wait, so I just left.

In my state they aren't allowed to count wages as a base wage + tips so they make the flat rate min wage for the state ( over nine dollars/hr) then tips on top. I tip based on how service goes, like you said 3 bucks for pizza etc. Just depends how they were/how fast etc.

Always for delivery and dine in, but not for takeout like Josh.

I tip fairly high compared to the people around me, assuming the server did a good enough job.

a dollar per drink.

usually if my bill is cheap like if i go out for wings and a pitcher and spend 10 bucks ill tip like 5.

just food ill tip like 15% ish.

pizza delivery is just expensive as shit now. like a 7 dollar pizza from dominos ends up around 12 after tax, 2 dollar delivery fee, and then the driver gets pizzed if you tip under 2 bucks. Like my roommate orders pizza from pizza hut and they always fuck up his order and when he calls to get his proper pizza they just blow him off with the reason "they don't have enough drivers". He tips like just over a dollar.

In my state they aren't allowed to count wages as a base wage + tips so they make the flat rate min wage for the state ( over nine dollars/hr) then tips on top. I tip based on how service goes, like you said 3 bucks for pizza etc. Just depends how they were/how fast etc.

Wait, so if they get paid that much, why would you still tip? I thought the main cause of tipping was from that the waiters and waitresses are underpaid and the tips make up for that. If they are getting paid min wage, then they are doing no more work than your wal-mart greeter. In that case, I would never tip.

Wait, so if they get paid that much, why would you still tip? I thought the main cause of tipping was from that the waiters and waitresses are underpaid and the tips make up for that. If they are getting paid min wage, then they are doing no more work than your wal-mart greeter. In that case, I would never tip.

I think it's more that they're guaranteed minimum wage. Whether the restaurant pays that or the tips pay that is irrelevant. Any tips made beyond minimum wage are theirs to keep.

He tips like just over a dollar.

He's not hurting the restaurant, just the driver. That's the rough equivalent of docking your server's tip because your steak was overcooked. It's not their fault.

Servers get like $10/hr here so I'm really cheap and only tip like 5%. Taking orders and carrying food isn't hard no reason to be payed a lot. I don't tip at bars unless I order food.

Tipping has morphed into something it shouldn't be, which has created a bit of resentment.

If you order a drink that's a pain in the ass to make, give the bartender a little something. If they reached behind them and opened your beer, don't. If your server brought your food, tip a little. If they have an encyclopedic knowledge of the menu and spoke with you extensively about it, tip them more. Tipping should be a reward, instead of removing it as a bludgeon.

At bars I usually tip a lot for my first drink, then a dollar or two for any after that. They will notice this and if they're busy, I'll usually get my drink before anyone else and they'll put more effort into making it.

Tipping has morphed into something it shouldn't be, which has created a bit of resentment.

If you order a drink that's a pain in the ass to make, give the bartender a little something. If they reached behind them and opened your beer, don't. If your server brought your food, tip a little. If they have an encyclopedic knowledge of the menu and spoke with you extensively about it, tip them more. Tipping should be a reward, instead of removing it as a bludgeon.

This. I hate how America has created the system where we have to tip people so they get paid a reasonable salary. A tip should be a reward for exceptional service (in varying degrees).

I tip for exceptional service, but I don't typically leave a tip for poor, average, or even somewhat above average service. In my opinion, it should be on the employer to pay their employees, not the consumer.

Tipping is one social custom that I will never understand, especially in cases where those that rely on tips *expect* to get tips, and are angry when they don't.

In my opinion, it should be on the employer to pay their employees, not the consumer.

You're tilting at windmills, to be frank. Customers always pay employees. If they didn't, there would be no employees. Whether "you pay" because you tip or "you pay" because the price of your food goes up to pay higher wages, you still pay.

In my opinion, it should be on the employer to pay their employees, not the consumer.

You're tilting at windmills, to be frank. Customers always pay employees. If they didn't, there would be no employees. Whether "you pay" because you tip or "you pay" because the price of your food goes up to pay higher wages, you still pay.

At this point, if tipping were disregarded altogether, I don't seriously think companies would raise their prices by 15% to accommodate for the higher wages they would have to pay their employees. It might eventually reach a point to where the prices have been raised enough to accommodate, but if it raised noticeably over a short span of time I believe that many people would stop eating at those restaurants.

I don't know, I'm probably being stupid. Though there is the fact that the average waiter probably makes way more in tips than the employees would pay them in the first place, meaning that the "annihilation" of tipping would probably lead to overall cheaper meals (assuming that you actually tip).

Edited by Iruleuall4

At this point, if tipping were disregarded altogether, I don't seriously think companies would raise their prices by 15% to accommodate for the higher wages they would have to pay their employees. It might eventually reach a point to where the prices have been raised enough to accommodate, but if it raised noticeably over a short span of time I believe that many people would stop eating at those restaurants.

I don't know, I'm probably being stupid. Though there is the fact that the average waiter probably makes way more in tips than the employees would pay them in the first place, meaning that the "annihilation" of tipping would probably lead to overall cheaper meals (assuming that you actually tip).

Your reasoning is flawed on several levels.

First, you're right that restaurants would have a hard time raising prices over night. But that doesn't mean cheaper meals for you. It means cheaper meals for you until they go out of business, which they will, unless they raise their prices dramatically. Restaurants don't have a high profit margin per customer figure to begin with.

As for your second argument, yes, you might pay less. You will also get shittier service because your "good servers" will no longer be servers. If you've never worked in a restaurant, trust me, it's a shitty job. They do it because they make more money than working somewhere else. If they didn't, they'd stop, because I promise they don't like their job.