Tipping

Emeraldwpn

How do you guys feel about gratuities added into the bill?

I went out to a Japanese restaurant with a bunch of friends last night. We had reservations at 7, yet we didn't even order our food until 7.45, or sit down until 7.20. Shit happens, but that's kind of ridiculous when I'm paying ~25$ for my meal. My urge to tip our server was going downhill. I wanted to tip our chef, as he provided us with great entertainment and went above and beyond in my opinion, so I did. But then I also payed this 18% gratuity to my server, who didn't do a whole lot real well. I was in a euphoria, so I didn't bother asking about it, but there's no way that you're obligated to pay that added on gratuity, are you?

Pretty much every Japanese restaurant I've ever been to does this.

Always for delivery and dine in, but not for takeout like Josh.

I tip fairly high compared to the people around me, assuming the server did a good enough job.

Always good to leave 15% for the host/ess that prepares your takeout for you, unless you want your meal to be fucked with :lolface:

Don't fuck with people that handle your food, srsly.

Edited by Chewynicka

Always for delivery and dine in, but not for takeout like Josh.

I tip fairly high compared to the people around me, assuming the server did a good enough job.

Always good to leave 15% for the host/ess that prepares your takeout for you, unless you want your meal to be fucked with :lolface:

Don't fuck with people that handle your food, srsly.

You're meal won't be fucked with if you already ordered. They won't remember you next time, as long as you space it out... or they have a system on who tips or not.

Why would I tip someone 15% for answering the phone and punching a few buttons on a computer screen? I've worked in a restaurant. That's absurd. No one actually expects that.