Decided to put this here

Tim

I'd love to see Kony out of power, but I just can't see this going much beyond a bunch of money raised towards the effort by donations and selling these "kits".

They certainly don't put all (or most) of their money towards programs in Africa to benefit the people affected by Kony, but a substantial amount does go towards helping those people.

It's an interesting concept and I'm skeptical about it being successful, but I hope the goal is reached.

I think it is around 30% that actually ends its way over to the people, but then there's a little of greasing up of corrupt Ugandan leaders.

Their approach is very different than most NPOs most of us are used to. They use a lot of money towards awareness, and they make absolutely no mistake about it, either. I think over 40% of it goes towards advertisement and films that just generate publicity for the cause.

I think one misconception is that Kony is still in Uganda, fucking shit up. Reality is that nobody knows where exactly he is, and the mission of the organization isn't necessarily to help the people there, but instead to bring Kony to Justice. However, they do provide a substantial amount to those people.

Just all very interesting how the organization is set up. I would like to see it succeed.

The problem with Kony is he isn't the only one out there. The hard part is picking and choosing the battles, if we step in here, then we have to step in on all the other world problems going on. I'm a mini Kissinger, mind our fucking business.

The problem with Kony is he isn't the only one out there. The hard part is picking and choosing the battles, if we step in here, then we have to step in on all the other world problems going on. I'm a mini Kissinger, mind our fucking business.

Kony is an indicted war criminal. The goal of the Kony 2012 "campaign" isn't to go to war with him, but to put him on trial for his actions.

There are already US troops looking for him, so the idea that we shouldn't get involved is an idea that has already passed.

I'd love to see Kony out of power, but I just can't see this going much beyond a bunch of money raised towards the effort by donations and selling these "kits".

They certainly don't put all (or most) of their money towards programs in Africa to benefit the people affected by Kony, but a substantial amount does go towards helping those people.

It's an interesting concept and I'm skeptical about it being successful, but I hope the goal is reached.

I think it is around 30% that actually ends its way over to the people, but then there's a little of greasing up of corrupt Ugandan leaders.

Their approach is very different than most NPOs most of us are used to. They use a lot of money towards awareness, and they make absolutely no mistake about it, either. I think over 40% of it goes towards advertisement and films that just generate publicity for the cause.

I think one misconception is that Kony is still in Uganda, fucking shit up. Reality is that nobody knows where exactly he is, and the mission of the organization isn't necessarily to help the people there, but instead to bring Kony to Justice. However, they do provide a substantial amount to those people.

Just all very interesting how the organization is set up. I would like to see it succeed.

I don't believe they own accountants, or at least it seems that way. Anywho, this is the gist of the whole controversy. But it does seem odd that they didn't say anything about how the U.S. advisers and mid-African military aid are currently chasing Kony or that Uganda hasn't been attacked by Kony in 7 years. That seems somewhat important to me. :/

Futhermore I don't really mind us "stepping in" everywhere else. Quite honestly we're in almost everywhere that there is. Most of the major humanitarian problems are in Africa, maybe, it depends if people dying is more important than slavery. And we all know how white Americans feel about helping black people.

Edited by JohnLegend

The video does say that Uganda is currently safe and they mention the advisers numerous times. They even mention that the advisers being there in 2013 is too long, which is why at the beginning of the video they say that the video expires Dec 31, 2012.

They're in compliance and the only grief I have about them is that they don't participate in the BBB's checks. They say that's because the BBB requires so many board members, and that they haven't found enough yet and don't want to rush into putting a few more into place.

The whole point of the video, which is lost on people because of the personal story of the child in the video, is that the they want Kony captured to face the crimes he is indicted for. Even walking through a part of campus on my way home from work, there were self made posters about stopping Kony today from killing people in Uganda.

Try and try as hard as you might to educate people. Some will get it, some wont, and some will have the audacity to create their own reality of what's going on. :/ Hopefully it works though. I guess now we just watch?=o