Pokemon LeafGreen Nuzlocke Challenge

Steven

This is something i've been wanting to do for a while, the Nuzlocke Challenge for Pokemon.

There are only 2 rules of for the challenge - 

1. You may only capture the first Pokemon you encounter in each new area.
2. If a Pokemon faints you consider it dead and release it.

The idea of the challenge is to make a bond with your Pokemon, knowing they could be gone in no time if you're careless, and you have to use Pokemon you wouldn't normally use in a playthrough.

When people do these they like to make comics and animations out of them, i'm not the greatest artist, so I thought i'd just kinda make a journal out of it and maybe make comics later if I suddenly become artistic.

Read more here if you'd like, I tried to summarize: http://www.nuzlocke.com/challenge.php

I'm naming all my Pokemon after clanmates, my Rival is Hess because he's just the kind of guy to try to kill all my poor poke's, and my Bulbasaur is Kiwi because it's just the kind of Pokemon I think Kiwi would be... except maybe a Doduo... maybe I should have saved the name for if I end up with one of them...

The challenge has become a really popular thing and I thought i'd get in on the fun and thought maybe some other people would be interested in doing one for themselves.

(I'm playing LeafGreen because I wanted to do Gen 1, but the only other Gen 1 game I have is Yellow, and that just wouldn't have worked.)

Chapter 1 - Only the Beginning 

Okay so, my adventure begins. Oak chats my ear off, my rival (Hess) is a total dickwad, and he almost kills my Bulbasaur, Kiwi, in the very first fight.

Making my way to Viridian city, I ran into some Pokemon on Route 1, but I didn't have any pokeballs, so I guess i'm not allowed to catch anything on Route 1.  

So I do the stupid parcel thing and then head off to Route 22 with my pokeballs (the route to Victory Road). There, I find a Rattata that I name Mel :>. Then, less than a minute later, I run into a Pidgey on Route 2... Shit turned for the worst, she got a crit off on Mel and she died her first fight, l0l. But I still managed to add Trissy the Pidgey to my team.

On to Viridian Forest, the first Pokemon I encounter is a Caterpie. Caterpie's are green, so I named it GreenScene. He quickly evolved into a Metapod and then into a ButterFree just before we got out of the forest.

Now in Pewter City, the first thing I do is head to the gym, which was a joke with Kiwi around. Then I got my shiny new pair of running shoes that I fell in love with ;_;

Route 3 comes along and I, luckily, came across a female Nidoran, Gayle! I keep running into female Pokemon, i'll be out of names in no time...

Chapter 2 - In Good Shape

Mt. Moon time, yaaaaaa-A WILD FUCKING ZUBAT APPEARED!!! I had to name this ultimate troll Bryce.
Around the end of Mt. Moon, all my Pokemon were yellow-barred besides Kiwi, if I sent out anyone else, they'd surely be dead, but Kiwi pulled through and helped me claim my Dome fossil. Idk if i'm allowed to restore it though :/.

Finally out of there, I run into just what I needed... a Spearow... Kelly the Cut Slave is what i'll call her.
Shortly after getting Kelly, Gayle got to level 16, evolved into a Nidorina, and then immediately evolved into a Nidoqueen with a Moon Stone (good thing I just came out of Mt. Moon :3). Gayle is now the strongest over-all member of my team, sorry Kiwi.

Ran into Hess, his Charmander almost took out Trissy, scary stuff :(. Beat him hard after that.
Turned back to Cerulean to challenge Misty, as usual, Kiwi pushed her shit in. But, Bryce didn't make it out alive, R.I.P. He was so Young Q.Q

Chapter 3 - Quiet Before the Storm

Now I head to Bill's House to get the S.S. Anne Ticket, on the way I caught Bellsprout and an Abra! Named the Abra Vigi because Psychic is OP in Gen 1, and Vigi is OP too. He's hard to train with his stupid Teleport bullshit. Bellsprout is Stuntin the Back-Up Cut-Slave.

Got the ticket, and Trissy evolved into a Pidgeotto on the way!

My Route 5 was totally wasted, another Bellsprout, just killed the thing, no one likes doubles.
On ward to Vermillion, my next route was AGIAN wasted by a fucking BELLSPROUT. I know that I could go by the "Only counts if Pokemon is unique." rule, but it was not in the original ruleset, so i'd rather not.

So blah blah blah, S.S. Anne time, I was scared Hess would have some fire-power on me, but I pulled through with 0 casualties and little damage taken, hurray.
Oh yea, and I also found Sparkles the Magikarp after I got my Old Rod. I hope she likes sitting in the PC for all her life.

Alright, I got Cut, ready to take on Lt. Surge!

Taking out his Voltorb and Pikachu was no problem, I had the perfect plan! But I made a very stupid mistake... a mistake that cost me GreenScene. I may have won the badge, but I lost something much more valueable... R.I.P GreenScene.

Chapter 4 - Downfall

Losing GreenScene was only the beggining. Before Rock Tunnel there was a nice patch of grass where I could catch a new Pokemon, and that Pokemon is James the Sandshrew. My party's a little full right now, but i'm sure i'll need you eventually. 

Going through Rock Tunnel we lost Stuntin... he was the best cut/flash slave i've ever had... 

Upon arriving at Lavender Town, I went straight to challenge Hess thinking I had it in the bag... It cost me both Vigi AND Trissy. Losing a big part of your team really does suck. All I can do now is recover, and I'll do that as best I can.

Pulled Dan (Diglett) and Nathan (Mankey) from the PC, and they've been doing good so far, once they both evolve I'll be in good shape.
Added Sean the Doduo to the team! He's pretty strong and definitely a better flying poke than my Spearow, but idk if he can replace Trissy :(.
R.I.P - Trevor the Meowth (You're welcome, Dan, you'd be dead if I named it after you.)

Memphus joined the party! Memphus evolved into Flareon!
I know, I know, Flareon is the weakest eeveelution, but he'll really help in the next gym and I thought I needed a Fire type. Fire type's are not very easy to come by, so he'll have to do.

Stupid Team Rocket with their stupid Zubats and their stupid crits... R.I.P - Nathan.

Dan evolved just before Giovanni, damn good thing too, he's so much stronger now. I shouldn't need him anyway though, all Giovanni's Pokemon are weak to Grass, so Kiwi's got this.

I was wrong... he had a Kangaskhan under his belt... things have only been going down hill since Surge... R.I.P - Gayle, best damn Nidoqueen I had ever seen.

So after all that, I pulled James out of the PC. He's gonna take a while to catch up, being level 11 and all... but he'll pull through (or die trying).

Silph Scope in hand, I head back to Lavender Town, only to be reminded of my losses. Toreii the Gastly has joined us. There's no way for me to get a Gengar, but let's hope a Haunter is good enough.
This is probably good time for Sean to catch up, he's still far from being a Dodrio (yet he learned Tri-Attack at level 21? lolwut.)
If I had a nickel for everytime a Gastly killed them self with Curse, i'd be a goddamn millionare.

That's it. Kiwi is dead. My entire team that I thought was a powerhouse is gone. I thought all of them would make it for sure. This is so difficult to do, i've never released a started in my life, but there's a first time for everything.
That damn Marowak... it's all my fault, I moved Toreii to the front of the party so she could get some xp, not knowing Marowak was only a few steps in front of me. That allowed her to get an extra hit on Kiwi and ultimately killed him. R.I.P - Kiwi.

And there goes Sean, died to a Self Destruct. R.I.P
I now see Lavender Town truly as a place of death, and nothing more. My entire team, that I was sure i'd bring to the Elite Four, is dead.

Chapter 5 - Hope

Time to rebuild.

Got a Good Rod and caught Chewy the Krabby, who's in desperate need of training. I also ended up killing the Snorlax, I almost had him too! he was no match for Toreii, couldn't even touch her. (I think there's a second Snorlax somewhere?)

Next stop, Celadon Gym.

I had planned for Toreii to carry us through this gym, and she did. she went from level 17 to 23 just from all the gym trainers. I used my last 2 Rare Candies to bring her to 25 and evolve. She died the very next battle. Once again because of an absolutely hideous mistake I made. R.I.P - Toreii.

I thought it was over when Vigi and Trissy died, I thought it was over when Gayle died, I thought it was over when Kiwi died. And when Toreii, what I thought was my last hope to save the run died, I was sure it was over.

But then, Memphus saved the run, single handedly! (ok, Dan helped a little tiny bit)  I grabbed him Hyper Beam and needless to say, he fucked Erika up. If he had died (and trust me, he almost did), the run would then finally be over. All my other Pokemon were weak to Grass. But he pulled through.

Something tells me this is far from over, and all this shit is only the beginning .

Edited by Tattles
That sounds cool. I might do it with Soul Silver. 

If and when I do Johto, it'll be the first time I pick anything besides Cyndaquil :(

Can you not use starter pokemon? 

No, it's just that Cyndaquil is not the ideal starter for something where he only has 1 shot. With lots of caves full of rock types and the first gym being Flying, I don't think he'd last long. That's why I picked Bulbasaur for this one, because he's easy-mode.

I think Totodile would be better.

Edited by Tattles
Spend 20 minutes leveling him up when you first get him. Once you get Ember he's pretty much unstoppable. ##

Where's the fun in that? :(

Spend 20 minutes leveling him up when you first get him. Once you get Ember he's pretty much unstoppable. ##

Sounds like my strategy every time I start a new game :D

I've heard about this before, sounds like it'd be fun.

I've seen a few Nuzlockes before. Never attempted one myself as I don't own any Nintendo systems and the newer emulators tend to suck.

Keep us updated on the names of your guys.

This was an amazing read. I'm totally doing this for Soul Silver! Or maybe White. Maybe it'll make it interesting enough for me to actually finish that abortion of a generation.... Anyways. Your first few chapters were awesome!

Please keep a log of it, this has so far been really fun to do and I hope to go on to do every generation. (which would make it the first time I ever finished Gen 3)

This first run is really just practice. I hope to keep better track of what goes on in future runs and make it a better read.

Edited by Tattles