Jagex set for new round of layoffs

Memphus

http://www.develop-online.net/news/45154/Jagex-set-for-new-round-of-layoffs

A month ago they fired 10 employees, and not long before that 13 employees. So much for the Squeal money going back into the game. It's going exactly where we all knew it would be - straight into the shareholders' pockets.

RuneScape developer undergoing review of player support functions

Jagex is set for a new round of layoffs after entering a period of consultation with a number of its player support teams.

A source connected to the matter told Develop a “decent number of people” in support roles had been laid off from the company.

In a statement, a Jagex spokesperson said there had not yet been any redundancies.

The company is however currently undertaking a 30 day consultation with a number of UK-based support teams. The spokesperson was unable to provide further comment on the matter at this time.

“We can confirm that we are currently undergoing a review of our player support function,” read the statement.

Article continues below

Advertisement

“As part of this review, we are undertaking a 30 day consultation with a number of the UK-based support team. As this consultation is ongoing we are unable to comment further at this time.”

Last month Jagex laid off ten employees working on what it called new and experimental projects, which it felt did not warrant further investment.

Prior to that, the Cambridge-based developer had cut 13 staff from its Transformers Universe development team.

It's cool. Jagex customer support is already one of the best in the business. They don't need those extra employees. :hmph:

It's cool. Jagex customer support is already one of the best in the business. They don't need those extra employees. :hmph:

I have to agree. I'm still waiting for a reply to my 3 emails I sent 2+ months ago. Its cool though with them being extra super busy not taking care of their customers and playerbase.

And for them having to shrink their employee numbers, you only have to have a look at the state of the game these days to realise why.

Read this yesterday. Instead they've recruited three new JMods who have broken Jagex rules or have contributed to the hostility of the community. (One excluded).

Talking about those YTers? If so I can't stand them, they are all annoying and just power hungry imo :l

If they fired Mod Mark they'd save tens of thousands on donuts

Maybe he makes up for that in not using his gym membership :trollface:

Would they have to change the name of their side-business from MarkDonalds?

And for them having to shrink their employee numbers, you only have to have a look at the state of the game these days to realise why.

Except their revenue for the past year is something like 6x higher than their previous high. But that's how liquidation works, I suppose. Lose the long-term cash (memberships), big gains in short-term cash. Works good for IVP. It's what they do. Can't hate them for smart business. But I can hate the Gower brothers for killing their life's work.

I don't see a problem with the three new Jmods. They're not "power-hungry", Jagex offered them an opportunity to represent the Youtube and RuneScape communities as a whole. Just like they always have. The only difference is, now it's their job. This is the same as saying that people who make videos shouldn't get paid for it if it's just for their and others enjoyment. It's stupid.

It's not like they're gonna name armour after them that gives 6969 Damage and Armour.

Damn, juat heard about this! This is insane, and just plain stupid! What kind of "New experimental projects" are they coming up with now? Unless i missed it in the text :facepalm2:

Except their revenue for the past year is something like 6x higher than their previous high. But that's how liquidation works, I suppose. Lose the long-term cash (memberships), big gains in short-term cash. Works good for IVP. It's what they do. Can't hate them for smart business. But I can hate the Gower brothers for killing their life's work.

The Gower's sold it off long ago. They've not been behind it for a long, long time.
I don't see a problem with the three new Jmods. They're not "power-hungry", Jagex offered them an opportunity to represent the Youtube and RuneScape communities as a whole. Just like they always have. The only difference is, now it's their job. This is the same as saying that people who make videos shouldn't get paid for it if it's just for their and others enjoyment. It's stupid.

The problem isn't that Jagex are recruiting players as staff. The problem is the specific people they've hired. Silentcore posted a video about 2 days before he became a JMod saying how to get free RS membership, for one thing. And So Wrecked... just type "So Wrecked" into youtube and the first assumption result will provide you with more info than I can.

Regicidal is good.