PC BUILD OFF

Blank

nvidia gpus are faster and you recommended him an AMD cpu earlier bo  :okfoff:
XD, I said I recommended Aequitas' suggestion for the FX 9590, which I still do, but I would've gotten something off the R9 series for the gpu.
Yea over all it cost about 1600 with shipping fees and what not (Im in hawaii). Plus another $120 for mouse and keyboard. This build is pretty much what Evan suggested, i made a few upgrades on the SSD and RAM. Took about 3-4 hours to build. Cable management was a bit tricky having a MID atx with a Mobo this big. Also the heat sink is bulky as fuck. 

the windows 8 though? I was talking to Becky and she said that people were having problems running steam on that os.

The cable management looks real good. I plan to go full ATX in my next build. The price per GB is still way too high to justify an SSD build for me. Until I learn the hard way and have an HDD that fails on me I'll always stick with HDD. Startup time isn't justification enough (for me) to pick an SSD over HDD. I've always gone with ATI/AMD video cards but definitely going with Nvidia next time because I've been unimpressed with some of the cards. Also RE5, crashes when I try to go DX10 mode. I've tried everything from reinstalling the drivers, to reverting back to old drivers, to uninstalling/reinstalling the game. 

Yea over all it cost about 1600 with shipping fees and what not (Im in hawaii). Plus another $120 for mouse and keyboard. This build is pretty much what Evan suggested, i made a few upgrades on the SSD and RAM. Took about 3-4 hours to build. Cable management was a bit tricky having a MID atx with a Mobo this big. Also the heat sink is bulky as fuck. 

the windows 8 though? I was talking to Becky and she said that people were having problems running steam on that os.

no issues with steam. I bought windows 8 64 bit off /r/softwareswap for 20 bucks.

What kind of mouse and keyboard? I got a g710+ a few months ago and im still using my mx518. I bought a newer logitech mouse but it shit out on me a while ago and the mx518 still works great.

How did you get an OS for $20, and why are there any zeroes on there? Teach me your ways.

HorseOne_zps07afd8b0.pngHorseTwo_zpsd80b1518.pngHorseThree_zpsceff93dc.pngHorseFour_zpse052c7d5.png

Edited by Joshjrn

When I was picking the parts for this build I went with my personal preferences, that's why he has nvidia gpu with amd cpu.  I'm so glad you made the cables pretty, now I don't have to murder you :D

The cable management looks real good. I plan to go full ATX in my next build. The price per GB is still way too high to justify an SSD build for me. Until I learn the hard way and have an HDD that fails on me I'll always stick with HDD. Startup time isn't justification enough (for me) to pick an SSD over HDD. I've always gone with ATI/AMD video cards but definitely going with Nvidia next time because I've been unimpressed with some of the cards. Also RE5, crashes when I try to go DX10 mode. I've tried everything from reinstalling the drivers, to reverting back to old drivers, to uninstalling/reinstalling the game. 

From power on to fully loaded main page in 10 seconds is just unbeatable. Faster loading times in games too. It's not meant for large storage.

no issues with steam. I bought windows 8 64 bit off /r/softwareswap for 20 bucks.

What kind of mouse and keyboard? I got a g710+ a few months ago and im still using my mx518. I bought a newer logitech mouse but it shit out on me a while ago and the mx518 still works great.

How did you get an OS for $20, and why are there any zeroes on there? Teach me your ways.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap

Also, if there is no hurry, is there a best time to order the parts for a custom rig, like the big Black Friday sales? I can't see why not, but I figured I'd ask, regardless.

Also, if there is no hurry, is there a best time to order the parts for a custom rig, like the big Black Friday sales? I can't see why not, but I figured I'd ask, regardless.
Most rig building websites I know off (both diy of ones that build the rig for you) have sales on every imaginable holiday for some reason. Newegg has bundles and also has flash sales and holiday sales, so yes, waiting will shave some dollars off the price tag.

Also hugely recommend an ssd even if it's one with a tiny amount of storage just for the OS, as it does wonders.

Edited by Hi im Sas
Most rig building websites I know off (both diy of ones that build the rig for you) have sales on every imaginable holiday for some reason. Newegg has bundles and also has flash sales and holiday sales, so yes, waiting will shave some dollars off the price tag.

Also hugely recommend an ssd even if it's one with a tiny amount of storage just for the OS, as it does wonders.

meh, my best advice is to buy parts over the course of a couple weeks. Everyone always has sales. Check out www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales for the best sales. learn the prices for a few different items you want in your price range. For example, regular price a GTX 770 Windforce is like $330. on sale it might be $310 or $300. it might go on sale every few weeks at different retailers like NCIX, Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon. I probably saved $250-$300 dollars doing it that way. I bought parts between black friday and like the 10th of december.

realistically with sales you can get like...

1 tb hd (seagate or WD blue) - $55

120g SSD (kingston, intel, samsung) - $70

8gigs 1.5v ram - $55-60

GOOD case - $40-$60

Fully Modular 650-750W PSU bronze or better certified - $70-80

mobo/processor/gpu can be harder to get sales on (less selection). Sadly, AMD's lawnmower series GPUs are better price/performance right now. I would always go intel for processor but AMD can put up a fight.

EVGA is the best, then MSI and Gigabyte, then Corsair, then at the end of the list is ASUS and Razer in terms of customer support. Just plan on getting a faulty part and doing a "return merchandise authorization" on one of your parts (mine was an EVGA psu). EVGA will cross ship you a new part if you say it's holding up your build. They 2-day air you a new part with packaging for your old one to be sent back as a return.

You can also browse parts on pcpartpicker.com but i found their sale prices weren't always updated. When some items are only on sale until they run out who has time for that?

From power on to fully loaded main page in 10 seconds is just unbeatable. Faster loading times in games too. It's not meant for large storage.

I already said startup time isn't justification enough (for me) to pick an SSD over HDD. You save ~20 seconds by doing so... also I never turn my PC off. It only restarts during system updates and that is it. 

#firstworldproblems

Edited by JCutler 6

Who ever said anything about picking a SSD over a HD? In my opinion, $50 for a small supplemental SSD is worth blazing fast startup times and the peace of mind that if something goes wrong with my operating system, I can wipe that drive and be no worse for the wear.

I already said startup time isn't justification enough (for me) to pick an SSD over HDD. You save ~20 seconds by doing so... also I never turn my PC off. It only restarts during system updates and that is it. 

#firstworldproblems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIrjwx6umdg

Power on to home screen for me is 12 seconds. And after that it's done loading. I turn my pc off every night and have to restart if league crashes. Imagine playing LoL and having to restart after a bugsplat in a loading screen twice and still making it back before 30 seconds into the game. Worth.

Like I said before, I'm not actually going to be building anything in the near future, but as I've never done this before, I figured I'd do a bit of a mock draft. This is what I came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v9kQK8

Anywhere I could save money? Anywhere I should spend a few more dollars for significantly better performance? Do I need an ethernet adapter, sound card, etc? Is something terribly incompatible in spite of assurances that it passed the check?