Pokemon Sun/Moon Discussions

Deathcon

28 minutes ago, James said:

I finally got my first shiny pokemon! Trumbeak. :woeh:

I can't use him during this playthrough but he'll be going in my bank. 

his evolved form always looks like hes a pissed old man with kids on his lawn.

Failed my Nuzlocke on the champion. :jade:

I lost my Crobat to Hua before I started the Elite 4 and that kind of screwed me over. Then I lost my alola ninetails to a crit steel move from a non-steel type. Then I lost my alola Golem to something that knew Earth Power. After that I couldn't recover. by the time I hit the Champ I was 3 pokemon down and the typing wasn't in my favor. :sadbanana: 

29 minutes ago, James said:

Failed my Nuzlocke on the champion. :jade:

I lost my Crobat to Hua before I started the Elite 4 and that kind of screwed me over. Then I lost my alola ninetails to a crit steel move from a non-steel type. Then I lost my alola Golem to something that knew Earth Power. After that I couldn't recover. by the time I hit the Champ I was 3 pokemon down and the typing wasn't in my favor. :sadbanana: 

:crycry:

champion is actually a bitch.

His

Spoiler

Magnazone and  Braviary

Completely destroyed me first time around.

I've used nothing but my grass starter so far. He's double the level of any other pokemon I have seen, even the so-called "bosses". 1-move kill everything. This game is too easy

Finally became champion. My final team was Decidueye, Raichu, Toucannon, Poliwrath, Gengar, and Kommo-o. 

@LiquidSwords

@Legendary DJ

@James

@Starii

@Res

@Justin

@Jake

@Cam I Am

@Memphus

Participation Gift
Qualified participants in the Battle of Alola Online Competition will receive 50 Battle Points. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least three battles.

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Single Battle format.
Players may use Ash-Greninja and Pokémon with Alola Pokédex numbers 1–204, 206–288, and 293–299; players are allowed to include one special Pokémon in their Battle Team, such as Solgaleo or Lunala.
• Register three to six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Team.
• All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Three of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Team will be chosen to battle in each match.
• A 10-minute time limit for each player will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select three Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.

Edited by Deathcon4111

As most of us know by now, SOS battle chaining is a way to get hidden abilities/perfect IVs/shiny Pokemon in this gen. Here are some exact numbers:

Perfect IVs

• Chain length 0 to 4: No guaranteed perfect IVs
  • Chain length of 5 to 9: 1 guaranteed perfect IV
  • Chain length of 10 to 19: 2 guaranteed perfect IVs
  • Chain length of 20 to 29: 3 guaranteed perfect IVs
  • Chain length of 30 to 255*: 4 guaranteed perfect IVs

Hidden Abilities

• Chain length of 0 to 9: 0% chance of Hidden Ability
  • Chain length of 10 to 19: 5% chance of Hidden Ability
  • Chain length of 20 to 29: 10% chance of Hidden Ability
  • Chain length of 30 to 255*: 15% chance of Hidden Ability

Shiny Chance

• Chain length of 0 to 69: ???**
  • Chain length of 70 to 255*: Three extra rolls for a shiny spawn.

After a chain of 70 the game rolls the shiny chance an extra three times, meaning the normal chance of 1/4096 gets increased to 4/4096, effectively giving a chance of 1/1024.

With a shiny charm, this chance is originally 3/4096 (two extra rolls for shiny spawn), and so gets boosted to 6/4096 after a chain of 70, effectively giving about a 1/683 chance of a shiny until the chain counter rolls over to 0.

Take this section with a grain of salt, however, as there seems to be some doubt from the source as to whether these numbers are accurate. It's entirely possible this chance is much higher; we just don't know yet.

Side note: Assuming the Masuda method in this game is the same as in Gen VI, using it with a shiny charm yields a shiny chance of 8/4096 (five extra rolls from MM and two extra from charm), or a 1/512 chance per egg. Make of that what you will.

*The game uses an 8-bit counter to count chain length, so it only goes up to a maximum of 0xFF (255), after which it rolls over to 0 again. What this means is that it is possible to chain up to 280, for example, and only catch a Pokemon with 3 perfect IVs.

**Presumably, one and two extra rolls are added somewhere in between a chain of 1 and 69, but it's not yet known exactly where in the chain this happens.

Source

Special thanks to Falo and shadowofdarkness for the information contained in this thread.

EDIT: Since I've seen a bit of confusion over this, here's a list of what will and will not break a chain.

What WILL break a chain:

• Knocking out all pokemon on the field, thus ending the battle.
  • Knocking out the original caller, ONLY IF there are no other evolutionary relatives on its side. For example, KO'ing a Pichu, if the enemy side consists of a Pichu and a Happiny.

What will NOT break a chain:

• Switching out your pokemon mid-fight
  • Knocking out the original caller, as long as the ally called is of the same evolutionary family.

For example, let's assume you are chaining Pichu's.
If the original Pichu calls another Pichu, and you KO the original Pichu, the chain will NOT be broken.
However, if the original Pichu calls a Happiny, and you KO the original Pichu, the chain WILL be broken.

EDIT 2:

EV training

* KO'ing the original Pokemon in a chain will give normal EV yield. * KO'ing any Pokemon called through SOS will yield double EVs. (the doubling effect is applied after power items and Pokerus.)

This is the wrong explanation. /u/Zari01 got it right. Here is the comment correctly describing how EV training works in this gen.

Goddamn I'm dumb. Here's the REAL real way EV training works this gen.

• KO'ing a Pokemon in a normal encounter will give normal EVs.
  • Once an encounter becomes an SOS battle (via the Pokemon's ally appearing), ALL EV gains are doubled for the rest of the battle. That means that, even if you KO the original Pokemon, you will still get double EVs.
  • The doubling effect you get in an SOS battle is applied after Pokerus and power items.

Thank you to /u/foxhull for the correct explanation.

EDIT 3:

Call rates

• Each Pokemon has its own call rate. The higher the call rate, the more likely it is to call for help at the end of each turn. Pokemon with a call rate of zero will never call for help. The list of call rates for all Pokemon can be found here.

Source~~~~~ https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5hmd9h/spoiler_some_more_indepth_mechanics_on_sos_battle/

On Monday, December 05, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Deathcon4111 said:

Decided to post this here as this is the first  "real" distribution for Sun/Moon. All the 20th anniversary distributions were for gen 6 only.

GET MAGEARNA FOR SUN/MOON!

@LiquidSwords

@Res

@Legendary DJ

@James

@Justin

@Starii

@Wolf

@Eisa

@Cam I Am

SCAN THIS QR CODE WITH THE IN-GAME QR SCANNER!

magearna_distribution_qr_code.png

I can't use this until I'm the Champ. :jade:

By the way, the easiest way to defeat the grass totem pokemon is to use a move that doesn't damage it much as your first move. If it's health drops below a certain amount it'll call castform. Otherwise it calls the other one first. So open with smoke screen or something and you'll be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Failed my second Nuzlocke. Even though my type coverage is perfect, the Elite 4 kept brute forcing their way through type disadvantages using z moves. I actually did worse on this than I did on my blind one. 

I'm going to try again since I didn't save, but it won't count. After that I'm picking the damn water starter so I can beat this damn challenge.