Steam

Joshjrn

I've never downloaded and purchased a game online, as I'm very much a physical media whore (*points to my book shelf packed with books and DVD/BD*). However, I'm jonesing to play Portal and Steam is offering it for $10. It seems like a great game, so I'm willing to part with the $10 for the game developer. Basically, I'd like any information on how reliable Steam is, if it ever causes any ass pain, etc, etc.

Steam is fucking awesome. I have quite a few games that I've bought from them, absolutely zero problems. And if you log in to your Steam account, you can install your purchased games on any computer. Their customer support is boss, there are examples of people getting refunds when things DO go wrong.

Never had a problem with it and I've used it for six+ years and purchased multiple games. They have great Customer Support and it's really simple to use, plus they have fast DL servers.

Alright, I just wanted to make sure. I downloaded the Portal (first one) demo and made sure it played even when I cut off my internet connection (which would have been a deal breaker). I'll give the dirty whores my money, I suppose. Last game I actually paid for was Oblivion, and I got the Game of the Year edition on Ebay for like $5 :reporter:

Yeah, I've never once had a problem with Steam. I only have Portal, Counterstrike, and Left For Dead, but they all have been flawless.

Steams always offering good deals, the Christmas specials are also great. If you would have had Steam a few months ago you could have gotten Portal for free, they were doing some marketing for Portal 2 back then and allowed anyone who wanted it to download it free for a few days.

Steams always offering good deals, the Christmas specials are also great. If you would have had Steam a few months ago you could have gotten Portal for free, they were doing some marketing for Portal 2 back then and allowed anyone who wanted it to download it free for a few days.

Yah, I saw that. Well, the one I saw was about a year ago. They may have done it again.

I've had steam for well over 5 years and I've never had any problems with it, other than the fact that the updating GUI looks horrible :jade:

I like it.

Generally I like gettign the media as well, but the sales are sick. BFBC2 is still like $20+ at the store, picked it up for $5 during last Christmas sales. I can give up the physical media for 75% discounts, lol.

Have any of you guys tried that On Live thing? It's like Steam except instead of downloading the games after purchase - They're streamed to you instantly.

Edited by Dan

Have any of you guys tried that On Live thing? It's like Steam except instead of downloading the games after purchase - They're streamed to you instantly.

I have it, realized that I would have to pay full price for games and then uninstalled it. I have no use for it.