Gladiatorz Cookbook

thegreatwha

Peanutbutter Burrito

1 tortilla (Large Size)

60-100g Peanut Butter (Creamy or Smooth w/e)

1. Wrap tortilla in damp paper towel, microwave on 70% power for 20 seconds

2. Slather with Peanut Butter

3. Enjoy your Peanut Butter Burrito

58 minutes ago, Evan said:

Peanutbutter Burrito

1 tortilla (Large Size)

60-100g Peanut Butter (Creamy or Smooth w/e)

1. Wrap tortilla in damp paper towel, microwave on 70% power for 20 seconds

2. Slather with Peanut Butter

3. Enjoy your Peanut Butter Burrito

I’ve only met few people who’ve done this too! 

On 5/3/2019 at 1:01 PM, Beric said:

@thegreatwha Here's the recipe we were talking about. ?This is from memory and I've never measured/written the ingredients down, so definitely taste as you go (as you always should anyways). 

1lb of cheap cuts of bone-in lamb. I typically use necks, sometimes shoulders. 

1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well. 

2 large onions, roughly chopped. 

4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced. 

3 cups of chicken broth. 

Salt, to taste. 

1 tsp red chili pepper flakes. 

1 tbsp turmeric 

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp paprika 

Olive oil

Season the lamb with salt, brown in the olive oil. Remove from the pan, and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and cook until just starting to go translucent, add garlic, cook ~20 seconds. Add the lamb back to the pan, add the broth and all of the spices besides the chili flakes. Simmer for 1.5 hours. Add the chickpeas and chili flakes. Simmer for 30 more minutes. Then you're done! 

Make some bread while you're waiting :reporter:

I just cooked this for my wife. Needless to say, she was pleased. I feel like I gained cooking levels considering how little I used used cumin, turmeric, and paprika in my usual dishes. Very delicious. Thank you Jade for sharing!

JeremysBroke

Taco Pie!!!!!(What I call it)

Ingredients

• 9.75-ounce bag of Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos, coarsely crushed (about 4 cups crushed)
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • A 1-ounce packet taco seasoning mix
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 red bell pepper diced
  • 2 ½ cups salsa or taco sauce
  • One 15 ounce can of corn, drained
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican-blend or Cheddar cheese

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 350°F (180C). Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink (about 5 to 7 minutes). Drain. Return beef to skillet and stir in taco seasoning mix, water, and bell pepper. Simmer until thickened (about 3 to 4 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in salsa and corn.
  3. Place half of the crushed Doritos in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the cheese. Spread the beef mixture on top.
  4. Bake, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes (or until hot and bubbly).
  5. Sprinkle top of the casserole with remaining crushed Doritos and remaining shredded cheese. Put the dish back in the oven for about 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

I am lazy so I copied this from somewhere(obviously). I make this spicy. This recipe has the number of ingredients needed to make this for multiple people. That may also be obvious.
Edited by JeremysBroke
10 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

I just cooked this for my wife. Needless to say, she was pleased. I feel like I gained cooking levels considering how little I used cumin, turmeric, and paprika in my dishes.  Very delicious. Thank you Jade for sharing!

I'm so glad it turned out well for you! 

Made a few of these today, and I already had it typed up on the forums. So enjoy the repost! 

My take on a New York style cheesecake. 

Pastry

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup butter, room temp

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 egg yolk

zest of 1 lemon

Filling

40 ounces of cream cheese

1 3/4 cup granulated sugar

5 eggs

2 egg yolks

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons flour

zest of 1 lemon

1 teaspoon lemon juice

---------------------

Mix all of the pastry ingredients until well blended. Form into a disk, wrap and place in refrigerator for one hour. 

Preheat your oven to 400F. Press one third of the dough onto the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan. Bake this for 8 minutes. Let cool. Heat oven to 475F. 

Moving on to the filling now! Beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in the sugar. Add eggs, egg yolks, milk, flour, lemon zest/juice. Beat until well incorporated. 

Press the remaining 2/3rds of the dough around the side of the springform pan. Once this is done, pour the filling into the pan. 

Bake cheesecake for 12 minutes. Then turn temperature down to 300F. Bake for 35 more minutes. Turn off the oven, let cheesecake sit (in the oven) for 15 minutes. 

Refrigerate until completely chilled (takes a few hours). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 12:03 AM, Beric said:

New York style cheesecake

I'd like to try this sometime!

Now another fun one. Not an original for me but surprisingly yummy. :)

Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time:  35 mins

Author: Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch: https://addapinch.com/cinnamon-apple-muffins-recipe/

Serves: 12

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour (+ 2 teaspoons for coating apples)
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (+ ½ teaspoon for coating apples)
2 cups diced apples
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup milk
For the Topping:
½ cup butter, melted
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup ground cinnamon

OR you can prepare cream cheese frosting

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray muffin tins with bakers spray or coat well with shortening or butter and flour, making sure to discard any excess flour from the tins after coating.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Toss together diced apples and 2 teaspoons of flour to coat apples in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until lightened in color, about 3 minutes. Add an egg, one at a time, taking care to fully incorporate before adding the other. Mix in vanilla.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk. Stir until just combined. Fold in diced apples and scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling about ? to ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare topping for muffins while the muffins are baking by melting the butter and allowing to cool slightly. Pour butter into a separate bowl sized easy for dipping tops of muffins. Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Once muffins have baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the muffin tin. Then, remove each muffin and dip first into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place onto a plate to finish cooling.

Really easy to prepare.  And cream cheese frosting is another thing too. There are pretty much infinite varieties, all depending on the flavor you are going for. We'll have to post a recipe for this sometime soon. I also used a mini-muffin pan for these. My wife and I have served them at parties or gatherings and they seem to go away pretty fast.

Edited by thegreatwha
Midgetmayhem

We all seem to like our drinks here :P  and i better stick to the stereotype of being Irish 

NUTTY IRISHMAN SHOT
3/4 oz. (22ml) Irish Cream
3/4 oz. (22ml) Frangelico
Garnish: Caramel Syrup/Crushed Nuts  

• 2 months later...

I got one that I think you all will like, its a super simple take on a ham and cheese but make it taste amazing.

Ingredients:

1 Bag King Hawaiian Rolls

1 Package of ham or about 1 lb of sliced ham

Brown sugar you can choose how much

1/2 stick of butter

Your favorite cheese (American, Cheddar, and Provolone are my go to for this)

Your favorite mustard (Any kind works, i prefer honey mustard)

Directions: Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

1. Slice rolls and set bottoms on a baking/casserole sheet

2. Place a small amount of cheese on bottom of rolls.

3. Next evenly distribute all of your ham between  all of the rolls.

4. A little more cheese on top of the ham

5. Melt your 1/2 stick of butter and add tops to make your sammiches.

6. Brush tops of rolls with butter.

7. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of rolls.

8. Bake until sugar is slightly carmelized (about 8-10 min)

9. Eat

• 3 months later...
NLVPEBF.jpg

Chicken Ingredients
  • Whole Chicken (weight subjective to need)
  • Rosemary- 5 sprigs
  • Thyme- 8 sprigs
  • Sage- 5 sprigs
  • Butter (1 stick)
  • Kosher Salt
Gremolada Ingredients
  • Juice of two lemons
  • 1 bundle of Italian Parsley
  • Kosher Salt (to taste)
Sides
  • Carrots
  • Cumin
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Butter
  • Green Beans
  • Almonds
  • Italian Dressing
Directions
  1. Spatchcock the chicken by cutting it down underside so that it folds open.
  2. Cover the entire bird with Kosher Salt and lay on half of your rosemary, thyme, and sage.
  3. Allow the chicken to refrigerate as shown below for 24 hours. This will allow the skin to dry out and be extra crispy when baked in the oven.
  4. Leave half stick of butter out over night to soften for next day.

g9Ih9NG.png

Next Day
  1. Set oven to 350°F.
  2. Remove salt from bird and place on wired rack.
  3. Chop the remaining rosemary, thyme, and sage left over.
  4. Add chopped herbs to the soften butter and spread it under the skin of the chicken.
  5. Cook the chicken until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
  6. Add a pot of water to the stove to boil for the green beans.
  7. Prepare to make gremolata by chopping entire bunch of parsley.
  8. Add parsley to a bowl and mix with lemon juice and kosher salt to taste. (Pepper is optional).
  9. Keep the gremolata to the side for serving.
  10. Peel and cut carrots in half lengthwise as shown in the picture.
  11. Take a 1/4 stick of butter and melt in pan with carrots added.
  12. Season carrots with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste.
  13. Add green beans to now boiling water and boil until desired tenderness.
  14. In another pan, melt remaining butter and toast off chopped almonds.
  15. Add the green beans when done to the pan and add 3 tablespoons of Italian dressing to taste.
  16. Serve dish warm with gremolata poured over the breast. Garnish with microherbs if desired.

I did this thing 2 years ago where I "mastered" a dish a month as part of a New Year's resolution, so this is one of them.  I'll post more when I feel like typing up more of the recipe :reporter: 
1 hour ago, Praful said:

Do any of ya'll enjoy Indian food? I can tell you guys some really quick Indian recipes. :3

Of course! Post please!

MumblinDurbo

So had a request from the who likes to cook thread to add information about smoked brisket so here goes :) This assumes a charcoal smoker (note: not the same as a charcoal grill). There are tons of guides on the web for different kinds of smoker set ups ranging from Charcoal to Gas to Electric and several ways to use a regular Gas or Charcoal Grill as a pseduo-smoker and even some homemade DIY drum style smokers. (I did a lot of research before I bought my smoker... I may have had a slight problem for a few days :P

Prep Time: 2 hours, Mostly involves getting the smoker ready and holding appropriate temperatures, can prep meat while you wait on the smoker to reach initial temperature
Cook time: Anticipate ~1.5- 2 hours per lb. Highly recommend a thermometer set up to monitor the internal heat of the meat without opening your cooker. 

Needs: 

Smoking chamber

Fuel (ex. Charcoal, Gas, Electric depending on smoking set up)

Woodchips (I've used Hickory to good results)

Ingredients: 
1 Brisket 10-12 lbs

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup coarse kosher salt

1/3 cup paprika

1/3 cup chili powder

1/4 cup black pepper

Preparation:

0) Allow meat to completely thaw, frozen meat is extremely bad in a smoker!

1) Trim excess fat layer off the outside of the brisket. Don't worry to much about the internal fat on the brisket, if you have any large knots you can see feel free to trim, but some fat on the meat is part of the BBQ process magic. 

1.5) If needed trim brisket to fit on your cooking surface (I had a 15lb brisket that I cut in half to fit easier across the two racks in my vertical smoker)
2) Mix Brown Sugar, Kosher Salt, Paprika, Chili powder, and Black pepper in a bowl, then rub generously across meat
3) Wait on smoker temperature to stabilize within the temperature range you are targeting (typically 200-250 Deg F) for at least 30 minutes 
4) Add woodchips to coals, add meat to smoker, and insert temperature monitoring devices if desired. 

5) Monitor internal smoker temperature to keep within target zone, try to keep the smoker closed as much as possible, every time it is opened you will add ~30 min or more of cook time since the temperatures will have to re-stabilize. Add fuel and wood chips as needed to maintain light blue/white smoke and desired temperature range. Thick white smoke is not good and will result in a bitter taste. 

6) Once internal brisket temperature reaches ~190 Deg F remove from smoker and place in a heat resistant area (I used my oven, but can use an empty cooler lined w/ tinfoil) for 2-4 hours to allow meat to rest

7) Cut and enjoy! 

Can be served a multitude of ways, some suggestions: 
Chopped into chunks on hamburger buns, drizzled w/ your favorite BBQ sauce

Sliced into strips and served with grilled veggies and/or potatoes

On top of Mac and Cheese

Heated or Cold

As a bonus: Grilled Potatoes are really easy to make and are a great side item

1) Chop into chunks ~1/4"-1/2" thick

2) Place in aluminum foil pan 

3) Drizzle with olive oil

4) Add spices as desired (Grill Rubs sold in stores are fantastic here, one of my favorites is the Weber Honey Garlic Rub) 

5) Toss potatoes to make sure they are covered by oil and spices

6) Place pan on grill, move potatoes around occasionally to make sure they are cooked on both sides until lightly browned on the edges. They should have a slightly crisp outside but be soft in the center when you poke them, almost like steak fries. 

7) Remove from grill and serve warm. 

Really simple dish that takes little to no effort to make!

Garlic Paneer. (Paneer is essentially unsalted Cottage Cheese. Cottage cheese works as well but Paneer shouldn't be hard to come by)

Ingredients [1cup = 250ml]

Ingredients for garlic paneer

• 1 ¼ cup Paneer cubed
  • 6 large garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
  • 5 to 6 red chilies [If possible,kashmiri chillies(seeds removed). You should be able to find this in any Indian departmental store]
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt as needed
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • ½ tsp cumin or 1 small strand of mace
  • ½ cup onions chopped
  • coriander leaves or celery as needed for garnish
  • 1 tsp soya sauce naturally brewed – optional.

RECIPE:

1. Blend together garlic, chilies, sugar, salt and vinegar with 2 to 3 tbsp water.
  2. Heat a pan with oil and allow cumin to sizzle.
  3. Fry onions until golden. Add the sauce and cook until it thickens and the oil separates.
  4. Add paneer and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with coriander or celery.
  5. Serve garlic paneer hot.

I'm loving the latest contributions!  Ty so much for your contributions to the thread @Hess, @MumblinDurbo, and @Praful

I've been working (and mostly failing) with learning EOC these past few days. I'm making small improvements, but it's pretty humbling, tbh. :sadbanana:

But in real-life I made some good yummy vietnamese pho for lunch, followed by some medium-rare steak tacos for dinner. For the tacos I decided to make my own tortillas, and boy I was not disappointed. I may never go back to a store-bought tortilla again. It honestly took me back to when I was learning to roll roti's at a Hindu temple (another story). Before I get ahead of myself, I'll post the recipe. :)

Not original on my part (see here) but you can always create variation to really make it your own. Plus the post here doesn't come with all the spam adds and junk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tex-Mex-Style Soft and Chewy Flour Tortillas Recipe

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
3/4 cups warm water (approximately 110°F)

Directions
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Rub lard into flour mixture using your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add warm water and work dough with hands until completely combined and no dry flour is left in bowl.

2.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces; roll each piece of dough into a ball. Cover dough balls with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rest an additional 15 minutes.

3. Preheat a stove-top pan (it was recommended an iron skillet, but I didn't have one on me atm, so I used stainless steel with a very light coat of oil). Place one ball of dough on a lightly floured surface and pat down into a flat disc. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to an 8-inch round. Place dough in the stove-top pan and cook until bubbles form on top side and bottom side has brown spots, 30-60 seconds. Flip tortilla and cook until second side develops brown spots, 30-60 seconds longer. Transfer tortilla to a plate and cover with clean dish cloth. Repeat with remaining balls of dough. Serve immediately while still warm.

Notes:
It's suggested these tortillas are best eaten while fresh and still warm - and I would agree. They can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated individually in a hot skillet or wrapped together in foil and placed in a warm oven for reuse. Probably won't be as good as freshly made, but still it would suffice.

• 3 months later...

I meant to post this weeks ago. I just happened to prepare an Eggs Benedict this morning and then felt further compelled to share. :D 

Nothing special here on my part. Straight from my Food Network cookbook through which I've learned a whole bunch of fundamental cooking skills and techniques. For an absolute beginner in cooking, I'd

say this book is worth it's weight in gold.

Poached Eggs - serves 1 to 4 - prep time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons light colored vinegar, such as white, rice, cider , or white wine
2 to 8 large eggs
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Fill a nonstick skillet with about 2 inches of water. (Use an 8-inch skillet for 2 - 4 eggs, an 11-inch for more than 4). 
Bring the water to the barest simmer over medium-low heat. Add 1 1/2 tbs vinegar for a smaller skillet or 3 tbs for a large one.

2. To make sure the yolk doesn't break, gently crack an egg into a cup. Turn the cup, gently slipping the egg into the water.
Repeat with the remaining eggs, placing the eggs in a clockwise pattern in the simmering water. Cook until the whites are set but
the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes per egg.

3. Fold up a double thickness of paper towels and set on the counter. Lift the eggs out of the water with a slotted spoon
and blot on the towels. Gently transfer to a plate and season each egg w/ salt and black pepper to taste.

- Eggs fall apart? might not be enough vinegar in the water or the water may have been boiling too hard.
- Yolk broke?  It might've been treated too roughly. Go gentle on these; a nonstick spatula works wonders
- stuck to the pan? The pan might not be nonstick. Lightly brush regular pans with oil before adding water.